• Goags20172
    I thought it might be fun to share photos of some of the college ballparks I've seen (other than UCD or Sac State's). If anyone has any they'd like to share please feel free.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Whose ballpark is this one?
  • Goags20172
    36eya8d34p5fd3xb.jpg
    6oehewpusk8z8l0d.jpg
    University of New Mexico used to play here. Now they have their own field across the parking lot
    sl83sljcsbff97ig.jpg
  • Goags20172
    Memorial Stadium in Garden City, ID. Boise State will play here in 2020.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Pretty nice stadium.
  • Goags20172
    My seats were excellent. And cheap for the best seats in the house at a pro game ($17). The Boise Hawks (Rockies) were playing the Eugene Emeralds (Cubs)

The level of play in the short- season Northwest League seems to be a little above college. Boise had two infielders who were only 18.

There are three inter- connected metal grandstands, but it became somewhat of a concern when lightning struck nearby. The sky turned purple at one point. Not much in the way of concessions, but at least they're cheap. The park was built next to the county fairgrounds sometime in the 1980's
  • Goags20172
    l9lzsp6w0fowvz4t.jpg
    Utah shares this park with the Salt Lake Bees69hmgzdls9vh3fqq.jpg
    j1mchgwcstmiulfj.jpg
  • Goags20172
    6uzybjewui0q248v.jpg
    University of Washington. I didn't get inside the park because it was September.x5hm39j0edm780fg.jpg
    re88i6iyh25rpkao.jpg
    vtmrnk0aln33zc07.jpg
  • Goags20172
    u0iph8qd2b64i3gw.jpg

Cal- notice the uncomfortable seating.In the last picture the on deck batter is current White Sox prospect Andrew Vaughn. They were playing USC

xoe3j6jqmgl1vr2t.jpg
  • Goags20172
    San Jose State shares Excite Ballpark. The San Jose Giants were playing the Visalia Rawhide (Diamondbacks).x2botk1yn3cffy4j.jpg
    g8mdrnbix3w7iw6i.jpg
    pkc75b7vougo33x4.jpg
  • Goags20172
    I've also been to SDSU's ballpark (photo came out lousy- do have campus photos). Also have visited University of San Diego (campus photos but couldn't find the ballpark + was exhausted from walking up the steep hill to campus) and Seattle U (ballpark is 15 miles away in Bellevue).

I tell you what though- I barely saw any overweight students at USD. Walking up and down that hill everyday must be tremendous exercise. There's an even steeper walking path behind the soccer practice field. Kind of appropriate the baketball teams play in a gym named after Jenny Craig.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yikes, lightening and metal seat would make for an electric chair experience!
  • Goags20172
    They wound up completing the game after a 30 min delay. By then I was already in a cab. Some people just found a safe place to stand although it was pouring. A guy from my hotel was a mong them
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I actually like Cal's baseball stadium. Went there once for an Ags game in Berkeley. It was on a Friday so I coupled it witha trip home to the East Bay. I didn't care for those little bleachers, but I really liked the intimacy...I imagine that must have been similar to the jewel box parks of the early 1900's because it is a small park squeezed up against their gym and other buildings.

I've also been to SMC's baseball field because my brother's HS team played a game there. It's a small cozy field.
  • Goags20172
    Apparently I have these pictures scattered through different files, which is why I couldn't find them. Included a shot of the seats behind home plate and pressbox at Schott Stadium, a distant shot of Peecole Park (Nevada) and one of front of Husky Ballpark.
  • Goags20172
    CAL has a great baseball atmosphere. The fans are really into it. If I had one criticism of a lot of UCD baseball fans in general at the games I've attended it's that they're primarily there to socialize. They pay attention when their kid's up but the rest of the time the visiting fans are louder.
    Still better than a community college crowd though. Seems like all 82 people at those have a personal agenda, like they're all amateur scouts + think they know everything. To be fair I'm not that loud at UCD games either, except when I'm cussing at the umpire or heckling the opposing coach. That game 2 years ago against Northridge- they should've thrown me out of there ! I think it's perfectly fair to heckle people who are getting paid to publicly mess up.

Absolutely no reason to buy more than a snack or drink at CAL- ridiculous prices. Berkeley has its own version of the Hotdogger right down the street from the ballpark.

Santa Clara has a cool little park too, courtesy of Steve Schott's checkbook. All good seats, even the bleachers. The thing to watch out for are the very snotty, entitled fans. The closer seats are $10 and they're assigned. Don't tell that to the regulars. They get really pissy if you ask them to get their crap off of the seat you paid for. "Oh we just sit wherever we want..." Also the travelling fans were not so classy when they made their way to Sacramento. Otherwise, it's a pretty nice experience. With the surrounding neighborhood + the SWAG they hand out at the gate you get to feel wealthy for a little bit. I seriously have half a dozen SCU baseball magnets on my refrigerator. You know how many I have from UCD ? One, and it's from the Alumni Association, so that technically isn't SWAG.

I've also seen University of Portland's park- Joe Etzel Field. Very nice- looking but it has a curious feature- a grass berm seating area. Now how often do you suppose that's a viable seating option from Feb- May given what we know about Portland weather ? Maybe 12- 15 games ?

I've seen a game in Arizona State's stadium + I've been to ASU, but I haven't seen an ASU game. This is because I saw a Spring Training game there between the A's and Giants a few years before the Sun Devils took it over. The Giants won. Fittingly it was Barry Zito getting the win. Great scenic location. Apparently Phoenix Muni was kind a dump when the A's were, but ASU put serious money into improving it. Arizona State has a pretty neat campus. Lots of very millennial- appropriate hip shops + food places right at the edge. And people don't often mention the Phoenix area's public transit, but you can take lightrail right there. As soon as you step out you're greeted by cacti and Sun Devil Stadium + the Wells Fargo Arena a few steps away.

This year I think I'll try Stanford and/or USF, and possibly UNC Charlotte. The problem with USF is that I think it's a waste to visit SF without seeing a Giants game, but for the last few years it's also been a waste of a trip to see a Giants game so it's kind of pointless to visit SF altogether :(

I included a picture of University of San Diego's entrance. Steeper than it looks !

m3gzvf50oyl407xe.jpg
    p6oafftjh4vsla4f.jpg
    iqvuvsr4s566yrs8.jpg
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I love the photos! Please keep em coming. I no longer live close enough to Dobbins. But, I love baseball more than almost anything else, so I enjoy these photos. All the more in the offseason.
  • Goags20172
    Thanks ! These last few years I've had an interest in seeing baseball in new places. I have some major league photos too (Mariners, Padres, Diamondbacks).

It's not going to work with Stanford this year I don't think. St. Mary's didn't work either- schedule conflicts. We'll see. I do have a trip planned to see a game at USF (opponent is not UCD). From what I've read it sounds like Benedetti Diamond is not on campus and is more of a community ballpark. Still, looks like a nice park with the recent renovations. I don't think it has lights yet.

Pacific would be a quick trip to go to a game. Safety's a big concern for me though- Stockton is very well- deserving of its reputation. I'd sooner go to a D- II game in Chico. Chico State arguably had a nicer ballpark than UCD before all of the upgrades to Dobbins Stadium. I'm not cèrtain if that's true now, but Nettleton Stadium has hosted pretty successful minor league and summer wood bat teams in the past.

When I visit San Diego I'll try to get photos of the Torreros' and Aztecs' stadiums. Couldn't find the former last time. SDSU is kind of a strange campus in that if you head in the direction of Tony Gwynn Stadium from the main quad you'd swear you leave the school entirely at one point- several apartment buildings that do not appear to be connected with the school. If you keep going you come upon signs for a sports complex. You think you'll see the baseball field, but the path deadends at the football practice/women's lacrosse field. Had to backtrack + head in a different direction. I walked right into the park + sat in one of the orange box seats to take a couple photos when I went because the groundskeepers left the gates open. Nice park but not very interesting scenery behind the outfield wall. I remember a big mound of dirt + dry grass. Photos didn't come out.

These photos are from Concordia U (Portland) and behind Joe Etzel Field (U. of Portland).

iocv9ap63mrxsylx.jpg
    puw5djjg8o0oqia4.jpg

I think I have some photos of both fields. too, but they're on my old phone, which works but doesn't have service.

CU- P is interesting. It's a small college. Doesn't have its own bookstore. So instead of having separate fields for track, soccer, and baseball (no football) the sports just share one big field. As such the baseball field only has an outfield fence during the season. Still looks really nicely done. Baseball has its own entrance + ticket booth + dedicated seats. The capacity is about 900. And guess what- they have lights ! A college of 1,000 students with no bookstore has a lighted baseball field- go figure ! I have some undeveloped film from that trip so maybe I do have photos.

Starting this year I'm mostly focused on just seeing baseball in new places or teams I've never seen, so that means I'll do maybe 1 game at CSUS and 6 at UCD.
  • Goags20172
    Baseball in January ? Only D- I sets a 2/14- ish start to the baseball calendar.

I remember from the D- II days Sonoma State would cheat by playing a sizable slate of January games on the islands against Hawaii- Hilo and Hawaii Pacific then steamroll over their less- prepared opponents early February.

And it is definitely not uncommon for JC's to play in January, such as Sacramento City College did tonight, because their regular season ends in April.

Sac City demolished Canada College
    (17- 0 with no homeruns hit), kind of the equivalent of Holy Names to UCD Bball. Well, maybe more like Dominican or William Jessup perhaps, because the Colts did win once last year.

It's tough to really gauge how good JC players are as a mere spectator. If they play really well they may just be very good for their level, but they could be too short, too skinny, or not fast enough to play in Division I. Other JC players may struggle mightily but get more notice because of having projectible talents, like a nasty 90's heater they haven't yet commanded. This was kind of the situation with former Merced JC reliever Blake Cederlind. He committed to UCD, but was drafted + signed by the Pittsburgh Pirates instead. His JC career was nothing to write home about.

The starting pitcher (Aaron Rund) was absolutely dealing tonight. He had 9 K's and only 1 hit allowed through 4 innings. I have no idea if his stuff will play in D- I, lacking that trained eye.

Speaking of the Pirates they signed this former Sac City reliever named Nick Mears as an undrafted free agent a couple seasons ago. Now he boasts an upper 90's fastball and made it to Double- A in only about 2+ years after signing.

Interesting how a community college can effectively recruit players from all over. Sac City has two players from Japan and a transfer pitcher from UCLA- Dennis Boatman- who's supposed to be a big deal. Maybe he'll pitch tomorrow. UCD hasn't had an out- of- state recruit in years. Come to think of it I don't believe they've even had a direct transfer from another 4- year college since 2010. That was Sean Watson, a 6'9- 10 pitcher from CAL. Robert Parucha and Alex Trautner were with Hawaii and Creighton respectively, but there were intermediate JC stops in between.

Speaking of Trautner he apparently just didn't make the team last season and instead played for the UCD club baseball team. It appears that some players who miss out on the varsity team do play for the club team, but that club players do not generally get "promoted" to the varsity team via tryout.

Edit: Boatman pitched three scoreless innings with two hits allowed Saturday as Sac City won 12- 0. That's a combined score of 29- 0 for the weekend. No one can accuse coach Derek Sullivan of running up the score, as he made frequent substitutions to give as many players as possible a chance. He used 28 of them in the two games.

That building off in the distance is Hughes Stadium, where the Causeway Classic used to be held when it was UCD's turn to host (before Aggie Stadium was built)

Triple- A baseball was also played at Hughes in the 1960's- Sacramento Solons. That area used to be a baseball hotbed. The Solons' home before that, Edmonds Field, was located where the Target at Broadway and 14th is now. A couple blocks away is a restaurant named after a former Solons player (Joe Marty) who was the original owner. I haven't eaten there since it became an Italian restaurant. Italian food is mostly too rich and heavy for me when I'm planning to do some walking afterwards- pizza (in moderation) is the exception.

City College's park was also home to an independent minor league team called the Sacramento Steelheads for one season (2000) The team was poorly run and wound up moving to a park at the Nut Tree in Vacaville the next year. The Steelheads were supposed to be coached by Pete Rose, but he backed out of it. Attendance lagged, in no small part because they couldn't sell beer at the games + the owner didn't pay his players on time. The Steelheads did play an exhibition game at Community (Not Dobbins yet) Stadium in the pre- season + that was kind of a mess.

The Solano Steelheads eventually became a summer college team, and Phil Swimley even coached them at one point.

ffwx70kyk82t67na.jpg
    1e76ojyotbc206uc.jpg
  • Goags20172
    Ah, here are some of those missing Portland photos. There's avery dark photo of Joe Etzel Field.
    38znox32atcuikvg.jpg
    mimpf50emvae6i4s.jpg
    478n5v693f53jo86.jpg
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!