• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies won the their longest game in history today when they scored the winning run in the bottom of the 24th inning. The game took 6 1/2 hours over a two day period.

b7z9sqyqj5e1no5c.png

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2020/2/29/baseball-gedestad-walks-aggies-off-after-two-day-24-inning-marathon.aspx
  • Goags20172
    This game is probably an example of the case against having lights (one of the very few). Had it not been suspended by darkness who knows how late it would've gone ? To say nothing of the physical exhaustion of the players who might not have been lucky enough to be subbed out.

Now with today being a doubleheader I'm expecting two ugly games. If the starting pitchers struggle they're just going to have work through it and get as many outs as they can regardless. Almost every one of the Aggies' better relievers was used for several innings in that game- for 4,5, or 7 innings. That means Dexter Wilkerson, Moffitt and Smith are your go- to relievers today. Better hope Spillane pitches deep into his game and Meredith manages to go more than 4 innings Not a comment about his skill, just an observation on how his previous games have gone.

And what happened to Wyatt Tucker ? Seriously players seem to be dropping like flies. Even before the season began Bruce Galludet (sp?) of the Enterprise said there were "a handful" of injuries to the pitching staff. He named Steven Ouellette (I would guess out for the season). but I don't think he asked Vaughn about the others because he suggested Tim Wieser could be the closer, and of course Wieser hasn't pitched this season. I'm guessing Jared Sasaki (not even on the roster now) and Nathan Peng (who definitely would have been called upon in the last game if he were available). There's also a freshman position player (who pitches) that hasn't played.

And then there are the position players. Your opening day left fielder hasn't played since opening day. Your opening day center fielder hasn't played in several games and your second baseman is in center field. I mean, that's great for the new second baseman, who wasn't even getting to play every day at the community college (though the hitting stats suggest he was very good when he played).

However, if the Aggies are banged up going into conference play there might be a massacre (figuratively speaking) and they may need Wilkerson to do some blood- spatter analysis :(
  • DrMike
    I think today might be a 9/7 inning DH so Loyols can make their early evening flight. That’s still a lot of innings to cover
  • BlueGoldAg
    7-3 start even with all the injuries is pretty darn good!

aak5ehrlzl0go8vv.png

The game breaks the previous Big West Conference record for the longest game by innings that stood since March 30, 1973 when Long Beach State and San Jose State played 20 innings. It falls just short of the NCAA record of 25 innings, set by Texas and Boston College on May 30, 2009.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2020/2/29/baseball-gedestad-walks-aggies-off-after-two-day-24-inning-marathon.aspx
  • Goags20172
    Apparently UCD has a bit more to worry about in conference play this year if UCR is getting complete- game shutouts from its Saturday starter. That guy- Zach Jacobs- was throwing some nasty stuff yesterday. 10 strikeouts and no walks. The highlanders are supposed to be one of the weaker teams- ouch !
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Big West seems to always be a very good baseball conference each year.
  • Goags20172
    Ugh, I can't watch this team anymore. The parents can stomach it out of love for their kids but year after year it's error- filled circus baseball. Great, they won a 24- inning game, but how many failures to execute on offense + defense made it necessary to play that long ? And then it hurt them today when their best pitchers weren't available + they were tired. Spillane was left in too long out of need + there was no choice but to let Wilkerson gut out a very rough outing. Better they had lost in 9 on Friday + came out full strength the rest of the series. Good thing there's no Tues game + the players can rest up for Mt St. Mary's.

You had to be there to understand just how bad it was today. I left in the 6th of game two + was all the way home 20 odd miles away + it was still going.

On the positive side Colton Evans is back + Nathan Peng appears to be ok- he was out there warming up some of the pitchers. Maybe he's just not pitching for the time being. They do need a third catcher if Campagna is going to play first.
  • BlueGoldAg
    8 errors today...ouch...
  • Goags20172
    That's not even counting the miscues that weren't called errors. Meredith and Arenado both had plays where the ball was hit right to them + they lost track of it..even though the ball was right there. And then there was the cluster&*!@ play where they were duped by a "get caught in a run- down between 1st + 2nd p while the guy from third scores". This time they relayed the ball in time to Denholm + the runner was a sitting duck, but he instead ran the guy back to 3rd, where the runner had advanced from second (originally was at first). But he took too long + that runner made it back safely + the one who was already there scampered back to 2nd just in time so they didn't even get the automatic out for two runners on the same base at the same time. Meanwhile the trailing runner went back to first. Everyone was safe- bases loaded !

Also, it doesn't seem like Arenado and Murray communicate very well in the field right now. They had at least 2- 3 plays where one got in the other's way. And they did run into each other at least once. And that one fielder's choice above I just wrote "WTF ?" on my scorecard.

This is why I like to say the pre- season games (particularly the first two weeks of the season) are not a good indicator of how good UCD is usually Look at the opponents they scheduled early this year and last- Utah, Utah Valley, Northern Colorado, and North Dakota State. What do they have in common ? Cold- weather schools whose fields are usually unplayable due to ice + snow in Feb. And how did they do ? 12- 3 combined. How much of this success was taking advantage of under- prepared teams that are not generally very good ? I mean, it's not cheating or dishonest at all. Just mis-leading.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!