• DrMike
    Glenn Fricker is still the career and single season record holder. That was 84! Tom Williams was probably before sacks were official but he was really good. Mason Moe was a disruptive player.
  • movielover
    What stood out about Williams? Size, speed?

I believe Casey Merrill had both.
  • DrMike
    Williams was before my time so only saw him on highlight reels. Big and strong, don’t know about his speed. Merrill was a very powerful guy, had the bull rush. Rick Mohr was similar.

I didn’t see Robby Flannery ( my off the radar period) but he’s a hall of famer.
  • blueforce
    James Amos and John Faletoese. They made up one hell of a unit together 2005-07.
  • lucche
    Casey was a monste. I remember a game when we were in a close game and they were moving against us, and everyone started yelling Casey, Casey. He then was in their backfield on a regular basis. I think it was against Bethune Cookman
  • AggieFinn
    Amos and Faletoese, remember watching those two. That might've been the best Aggie defense to ever take the field. Stifled Stanford in '05.
  • CA Forever
    It's been awhile, but the list has been updated.
  • SloStang
    Cal Poly and UC Davis have always chased a lot of the same student athletes because of our tough academics requirements, but with the differences in their offenses they would some variances. I think now that our offenses are similar we will be butting heads even more in the years to come.

On the current list Cal Poly has also offered the following players:

Assani Berkeley
    Logan Kraut
    Bryson Reeves
    JT Byrne
    Christian Pederson
    Winston Williams
    Nick Ostland
    Jekob Jones

I talked to the former staff a lot about recruiting. They said they won the majority of the recruiting battles with Davis when Biggs was the head coach. That started changing some when Gould was hired and even more so when Hawkins and his staff came in.
  • CA Forever
    TE JP Murphy commits to San Diego State
  • BlueGoldAg
    No surprise there given the number of high quality TE's we've already landed.
  • blueforce
    My anecdotal experience was, neither the Ellerson nor Biggs administrations had much of a systematized recruiting operation. We didn't go head-to-head as much as you might think (very different systems & player admissions standards). When we did compete for recruits, it was by force of will and influenced by extraneous factors (like location, Cal Poly's playoff runs, UCD's D1 transition/new stadium/Stanford win) versus anything repeatable like marketing, early engagement, thorough scouting, campus visits, etc.
  • CA Forever
    Been a while so I updated the thread. The coaches have alluded to 2 different commitments, but I haven't been able to find them on twitter or the recruiting websites.

GO AGS!
  • 69aggie
    HERO Sports FCS Football Ratings for this upcoming season:

No1. ND State
    —-
    —-
    No. 4 Sac State!

No Poly. No Davis. EW way down the line, but at least listed.

I am very disappointed that the Hawk did not approach Thompson to transfer to UCD
  • 69aggie
    This is a hack. I never posted this.
  • DrMike
    didn’t sound like you
  • CA Forever
    Found one of the commitments! DB George Moreno out of Sierra College. Went back and looked at high school tape and he plays very fast. Ran a 4.45 40 in HS.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Nice find. Plough recently tweeted that we had a "huge commitment out of the 415 area code also but I haven't been able to find him yet.

George Moreno 6'0 190 transfer from Sierra College with 3 years left to play 2.

• CA Forever
    RB Matteo Perez has committed to UC Davis over his other offers of Eastern Washington and Sac State. Last season Perez rushed for over 2000 yards and added 30 touchdowns on the ground.

• 69aggie
    Outstanding get for Speckman et. Al. Fast, explosive and durable. Excellent kid and good student. May be the 415 guy that Plough mentioned?
  • 69aggie
    My brother-in-law knows some of the Cardinal Newman coaches which did beat MC in a playoff game last season. That said they added: “This Perez kid is just awesome- we could not do much to stop him. Great fit for UC Davis’ program.”
  • DrMike
    On his Twitter he mentioned he was going ahead with plan to enroll early. With high school football now January-April, that might mean skipping senior season
  • CA Forever
    Another new commit! DB Christian Calhoun has committed to the Aggies over an offer from University of San Diego.

• 69aggie
    Impressive! DB a very hard position to recruit. Good job by coaches to get this kid.
  • True Blue Aggie
    - WR Mozes Mooney ** 6'1 185 The Bishop's School (La Jolla, CA) COLUMBIA

After 2 seasons with Columbia, he is transferring to UC Davis.
    https://twitter.com/cameronsalerno1/status/1287893690384388096?s=20
  • movielover
    Sweet! Scholar baller.

Cameron Salerno@cameronsalerno1: "Former Columbia WR @mozesmooney3
    is transferring to @UCDfootball
    "In Mooney’s two years at Columbia, he caught 15 passes for 115 yards & had two touchdowns.

"In his HS career at The Bishops School in La Jolla, he had 276 catches for 3,954 yards & 79 total TDs.

"Nice get for UCD."
  • BlueGoldAg
    This is a older tweet but it's pretty cool:
  • CA Forever
    Awesome catch! With a new QB the more receiving talent the better!
  • nfehT
    Transfer LB coming in from UCLA also.
  • movielover
    If so, could be 6'2", 199# referred walk on Connor Barbato from Rohnert Park.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!