• CA Forever
    That being said, of players who had offers from SJSU and UCD, we've won on the commit battle 2 to 1
  • Riveraggie
    In 2018 we signed seven guys on the regular February signing day, including Jake Parks. So sometimes outstanding guys are available who might have been hoping for an offer that didn’t come through.
  • CA Forever
    Yes definitely. I was trying to convey that, but maybe it didn't come across. There is still talent out there, just that December has become the norm for when a majority of kids with offers sign.
  • agalum
    Last night coach touched on the 62 scholarship limit, and i know we do some innovative partials to make each buck stretch, but does anyone know where we are in terms of available scholarships?
  • Riveraggie
    What’s the status of playing the Big Sky season this spring? Heard nothing for a while. It’d be great to see some of the guys from last years class, and with the short season they could play in two thirds of the games and still red shirt
  • DrMike
    walk through practices are planned to start Jan 14, real practices end of January. I think 25 sessions. I’m usually optimistic but I can’t see being in a position to start full practice in a month. Considering how things are happening in the north, doesn’t look promising for anybody. Hope I’m wrong . But the Big Sky office has been silent
  • agalum
    I had to go on campus yesterday. I saw the fellas working out on the field east of the toomb. No coaches. Looked like about 30.
  • SloStang
    I think both the Aggies and the Mustangs got better and are happy with the recruits they signed during a global pandemic.

That said, looking at 24/7 NAU has the best looking class on paper. They signed a large class of 21 that included 5 3 star athletes with a few of those 3 stars passing up Big 10 and PAC 12 offers.

Portland State and Idaho State did not sign any players which makes you wonder the health of those two programs.

Below is how 24/7 rated the Big Sky classes (take with a grain of salt. They are working off incomplete list and do not grade a lot of athletes in small states like Montana):

1. NAU - 125 (national ranking including FBS)
    2. CP - 130
    3. Idaho - 131
    4. EWU - 134
    5. UCD - 140
    6. MSU - 145
    7. Sac - 150
    8. SUU - 152
    9. UNC - 172
    10. UM - 174
    11. WSU - in ranked
    12/13. PSU and ISU - did not sign any players.
  • CA Forever
    I still include 247 star rankings on my list, but I find they are almost totally meaningless until you get into the 4 and 5 star ranked players. I concur with you that I think both programs did well given the circumstances and I think we landed a couple of immediate contributors.
  • SloStang
    I agree and that is why I said take it with a grain of salt. I do think that 3 star players are usually players that have FBS offers and are usually solid players at the FCS level. I do think that NAU did potentially (we won’t know for 2 or 3 years) sign a banner class. I also think teams like Montana and Montana State’s classes will be near the top when we look back at these classes 3 or 4 years from now due to the lack of coverage 24/7 has of high school recruits in a small states (population) like Montana.
  • SloStang
    One thing that really stood out to me is that Portland State and Idaho State did not sign a single recruit. I don’t know about Idaho State, but I think that Portland State football program is on life support and it would not surprise me if they flat line in the next year or two.
  • Riveraggie
    It may be that the uncertainty of playing this spring creates uncertainty for how many scholarships will be available. Maybe that will become clearer by the regular signing date.
  • CA Forever
    Without looking at their current senior/scholarship situations I still think it's pretty shocking to not sign anyone at the December signing date. Never want to see programs die at any level. Azusa Pacific just eliminated football.
  • DrMike
    that’s really shocking that those two schools signed no one. Maybe they’ll get some in February, but nobody in December?
  • Amurden
    Lance der manuelian has also signed. Not sure if that was mentioned.
  • movielover
    FWIW, redshirt Frosh 6'4" QB Ben Wooldridge from Fresno State has entered the transfer portal.

https://youtu.be/w8dLf5rEQjY
  • Riveraggie
    I think it’s really impressive to see the list of schools in the committed elsewhere list on page 1 of this thread. They’re all FBS except two lost to Cal Poly, one Ivy, and one to Azusa Pacific. We don’t lose many recruits to peer programs, a trend which is now pretty established for the Hawkins era.
  • CA Forever
    Which I haven't updated, but Azusa Pacific eliminated football so that player has opened his recruitment again.
  • Riveraggie
    How lame it is that 24/7 class rankings still has UC Davis in the Great West.
    National Rank
    Prev. Year: 135
    Next Year: N/A
    G-West Rank
    Prev. Year: 1
  • AggieFinn

Maybe their rankings don't mean much.
  • SloStang
    The Mustangs and the Aggies got better and I think are very happy with the recruits they signed during a global pandemic.

That said, looking at 24/7 NAU has the best looking class on paper. They signed a large class of 21 that included 5 3 star athletes with a few of those 3 stars passing up Big 10 and PAC 12 offers.

Portland State and Idaho State did not sign any players which makes you wonder the health of those two programs.

Below is how 24/7 rated the Big Sky classes (take with a grain of salt. They are working off incomplete list and do not grade a lot of athletes in small states like Montana):

1. NAU - 125 (national ranking including FBS)
    2. CP - 130
    3. Idaho - 131
    4. EWU - 134
    5. UCD - 140
    6. MSU - 145
    7. Sac - 150
    8. SUU - 152
    9. UNC - 172
    10. UM - 174
    11. WSU - unranked
    12/13. PSU and ISU - did not sign any players.
  • Riveraggie
    Seems like the easiest part is to put teams in the correct conference. Maybe since we have the oddity that we are in another conference for basketball that screws up their sort.
  • Riveraggie
    Yesterday was NLI signing day.
    Portland State signed 20, many reportedly early according to the * in the table.

https://goviks.com/news/2020/2/5/portland-state-vikings-football-signing-day.aspx

Idaho State signed seven. Their reason for not signing anyone on the early signing day is that it’s hard.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.postregister.com/postregister/idaho-state-football-announces-7-commitments-on-national-signing-day/article_a8f73e5f-bd65-53bc-9f01-c09664483fbc.amp.html
  • SloStang
    Portland State signed 20 for the 2020 class. They did not sign any this last December (early signing period) and only sign 6 players for the 2021 class yesterday.

Link: https://goviks.com/news/2021/2/2/viking-football-signing-day.aspx
  • Riveraggie
    Oops, my search returned the wrong class.
  • SloStang
    https://mobile.twitter.com/StJosephSports/status/1391119870834593792

Aggie signee Darien Langley runs sub 11 second 100 M (10.93) on the track today. Kid can fly.
  • SloStang
    Normatech is for recovery. It blows up and releases on the legs repeatedly. I believe it helps push the blood back up to the heart to re-oxygenate it. DrMike?
  • Riveraggie
    muscle contractions do that without mechanical assistance. I suppose this replaces walking to cool down.
  • 69aggie
    The kid looks great and is very fast. But although Speed is good, it is not everything. Remember Reynaldo Nehemiah? World class 110 HH. One hit and he was done. I like UG, Lar and Trent. Fast and can take the D1 hit. Hope this guy can as well. I do like that we are moving toward speed as an overall team endeavor.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!