• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies will be looking to rebound from a disappointing loss at Cal Poly on Thursday night when they visit the Thunderdome at UCSB tonight at 7 pm to play the Gauchos. Former Aggie coach, Bob Williams, is having a nightmare season that has the Gaucho faithful calling for his head. The Gauchos have been shackled this season with 3 of their players out due to academic ineligibility and the season has snowballing downward ever since. Regardless of their record, the Gauchos still have talent and will be playing with pride so the Ags dare not overlook this game.

Coach Les will want to see his team stop a trend of falling behind by double digits early in the game and saddling themselves with the daunting task of overcoming big deficits. The offense has been inconsistent most of the year but the Ags have countered that problem with very good defense and hard play. In the last game at Poly, however, we did not match Poly's energy to start the game and had too many critical breakdowns on defense. Today would be a good time to put together a solid performance all around and in order to stay at the top of the hunt for the Big West title.

Live stream at 7 pm: http://www.bigwest.org/tv/

Go Ags!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Gabe Vincent, probably UCSB's best player, tore his ACL on Thursday and is out for 6-8 months. Tough break for the kid and for UCSB.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I heard that too. Boy, when it rains, it pours!
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies struggle to a 32-26 lead at the half over the severely decimated Gauchos. Coach Les was so upset with the way the Aggies started the game with lazy passes and TO's that he pulled 3 starters from the game. They all sat for 5-10 minutes and Moneke remained benched. He only had 7 minutes of PT in the half. Siler Schneider led the Ags with 12 points.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies escape from Santa Barbara with a 67-64 heart-stopping win. The game was a chess match in the last 2 minutes between Coach Les and Coach Williams but the Ags made their FT's and barely escaped when the Gauchos' half court shot nearly banked in at the buzzer.
  • aggie6thman
    I'll take the road W. Irvine losing at Long Beach with 5 minutes left in the game.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags are in first place all by themselves after Long Beach beats Irvine 72-63 handing the Anteaters their 3rd loss in a row.
  • aggie6thman
    Both men's and women's hoops are in first place.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The final 2 minutes of the game were wild and the final seconds were just plain crazy. With the Ags up 3 Les had Graham commit a foul rather than risk SB hitting a 3 to tie the game. But, Darius timed his foul late and fouled the player in the act of shooting. The kid misses the first FT so now he needs to make the second FT and intentionally miss the third. He hits the second and tries to miss the third but banked it in. The Ags inbound the ball up one and SB immediately fouls Graham with 1.6 seconds left. Darius hits both FT's to put us back up by 3. SB inbounds the ball and almost banks in a half court 3 and the Ags escape with a win. They also denied Bob Williams getting his 500th win.

In his post-game comments, Coach Les said, "We've got to get better real fast. We have lost our defensive intensity and this team has to have that to succeed." It's true, we are not the kind of team that is going to run anyone out of the gym with our offense. We must defend well to win and, lately, our defense has been breaking down much too often.
  • movielover
    Why didn't he foul the ball handler on the dribble?

We struggled to beat a team that didn't have it's 4 best players available?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Darius waited just a fraction of a second too long and the SB player made a smart play and elevated into a long 3 just when he saw he was going to get fouled. Darius was trying to let the clock tick down and he just waited a tad too long.

And, yes, we were not very sharp on this road trip. We're going through a bit of a slump right now. The thing that concerns me is we don't seem to be improving, if anything, we're taking a couple of steps back. Glad we're back in the Pavilion on Wednesday. Hopefully, that will help us get back on track.
  • aggie6thman
    Even if you foul right away if the other player has any basketball awareness, he'll be aware of what Graham was trying to do. It is extremely difficult, if not impossible to time perfectly.

@BlueGoldAg, seems like the team expected to win this one just by showing up. @SochorField texted me and said that the team had their walk through on the beach. Maybe that will be nixed on the next roadie?
  • movielover
    Walk through - really?
  • BlueGoldAg
    It seems a little more to me than the team expecting an easy time with all the players out for Santa Barbara. This is an interesting team. We have some pretty good talent but we are so inconsistent that it's maddening. There are flashes of brilliance when I think that this team has a lot of room to become better and then there are other times, quite a few actually, where I feel like Les is getting about as much as he can get from the talent he has on this team.

I like this team's character though. They are smart kids who play hard but we are just not quite talented enough to really put teams away. There isn't a single game in the Big West that I would confidently say we will win for sure. Every game is going to be a battle. But, at least we in the thick of it for now.
  • aggie6thman
    I hear ya, BGA. Hard to imagine what this team would be like without Moeneke!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Chima has been a big find for us. There was an article in the bee last week about his history, Les spotting him at a JC showcase and seeing his huge athletic ability. Just imagine how he'll produce once he gains more experience. With all the seniors leaving, next year he'll have to provide a tremendous amount of leadership, in addition to points and rebounds!
  • user1
    Congrats to the Aggies from a fan out in the midwest...
    keep winning..

One other request - I am still looking to buy one of the UC-Davis camo hats that were given away last season as a promotion - anyone have one to sell?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbYxm7zUEAAQk-Z.jpg:small
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!