• BlueGoldAg
    These are pretty cool!

• Zander
    The gold helmets are classic and should still be the mainstay, but these could bring some amazing alternate looks. Blue-gray-blue on the road?
  • fugawe09
    I like the matte lol better than the gaudy mirrored gold from a couple years ago but my favorite is still the classic uniform - blue jersey, gold pants, gold helmet with script Davis. It is interesting to me that football helmets are “painted.” My construction site helmets have to be integrally colored or inkjet printed because paint or large decals could obscure hairline cracks.
  • Fiat Lux
    Football helmets have to be reconditioned every two years and assessed for things like hairline cracks etc. I wonder if that has something to do with why they can be painted.
  • DrMike
    In the olden days the shells were clear and they painted the inside. Cracks would still be visible. Not sure if that’s still the case
  • fugawe09
    I didn't know that. How long do helmets last in service? I might have thought helmets were unique to the wearer, or do they last longer than any particular player? After spending some time in an MLB locker room where even the jockstraps were a take one/leave one community property situation, nothing would surprise me now.
  • Fiat Lux
    I believe they can be used for up to ten years but I'm sure a program like Davis will be replacing them much quicker than that. Also with the speed at which some of these helmet companies are progressing technology, I would expect a helmet to only last three to four seasons but I could be wrong. Helmets are unique to the wearer in that one player's head may fit in a Riddell while a different players head may be better shaped for a Schutt, etc. I would thing that defensive and offensive lineman helmets take a bigger beating than say a DB but I don't have any data to back that up.
  • 72Aggie
    My nominal involvement with a (successful) HS football program, purely as a parent, led me to believe that the schools send helmets to manufacturers or some testing service frequently, like every other year or maybe even every year. I suppose I could google this, but.....
  • 72Aggie
    ...as a friend says, 'no question goes unanswered in the age of smart phones and google."

Helmets are typically "reconditioned" at least every two years and should be replaced at least every ten years.

More info on costs and repainting:

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/819/helmet-reconditioning-is-critical-to-proper-equipment-maintenance
  • 72Aggie
    And then there's that school in South Bend, IN.....the one that copied the Aggie uniform color scheme.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/notre-dame-football-fools_b_10963806
  • AggieFinn
    Love it.

I'm all for the classics but mixing in the new school in my experience is always a good thing
  • Gunrock47
    I really like these matte navy ones. But I also think the gold is classic and should remain the "normal" helmet. Not the mirrored one, but this one:
    Screen-Shot-2014-09-12-at-11.33.18-AM.png
  • movielover
    White on white on white, like vs the Bears last year. ... ahh, if Airey had the earlier pick, if, if, if. Tehran Thomas misidentified as Gilliam (2 nice runs). First 30 minutes is great.

https://youtu.be/Ab5aoViUcpw
  • 72Aggie
    As long as they never touch the ground.....whatever the color, finish, logo....
  • Gunrock47
    those white on whites were slick. Wore them against SJSU as well in 2018 I think.
  • Riveraggie
    The new helmets look like Cal’s in the Davis game. If we have gold pants and navy blue Jerseys we’d have that look.
    Movie, thanks for posting the link, we really looked good in the first quarter. Crawford was outstanding, with five catches and a pass completion.
  • Fiat Lux

An updated look at the new matte blue helmets. I’m really into them personally. Gives us just one more option.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!