• AggieFinn
    Gotta be the first time in the history of UC Davis since we've started playing football that there was no season to watch in the fall.

Feels weird doesn't it? Parts of big college football and of course the NFL have found ways to play, but not having your home team set the Saturday is just leaving it all kind of empty.

hqdefault.jpg
  • 72Aggie
    Point made, and it does feel weird. The whole season feels weird. I follow a Big Ten team out of family loyalty. The conference started play last weekend. Coming up on the second weekend of play and the Wisconsin vs Nebraska game has already been cancelled. Those two teams could be competing for the conference’s West division title, but they will not play. All very strange.

(Not to be a jerk about this, this is not the first season the Ags have not played football. (Three "nots" in one sentence...?) UC Davis started playing football in 1915. They did not compete in 1918 due to WWI and from 1943 to 1945 due to WWII.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/ucdavisaggies.com/documents/2019/8/29/_19_FB_Record_Book.pdf )
  • Goags20172

"...like a rolling stone" -saw the opportunity for a pun there.

It's felt like one long season since mid-March. The only difference is the lower use of air conditioning.

I've adjusted pretty well. A little bored but it's a good time to start on projects. I swear everytime I see "Hoarders" I'm looking for something to throw out or recycle.
  • agalum

Miss hanging with you Finn!
  • AggieFinn
    72, I actually love the history lesson. I always forget how huge it was that this world was at war, twice. How that took over the national and local scene in so many ways. Forget football, they just bombed Pearl Harbor. I know my grandfathers (one from SW Washington, the other from San Diego) signed up almost immediately in the Navy. Gunner's Mate and Machinist's Mate...my Mom's Dad favorite engine/automobile was the Volvo, he threw out his back for life deadlifting a 600 lb. drive shaft to free his buddy after an attack. My Dad's Dad didn't talk much about the war, but when he volunteered some of his experiences to my Dad they were about regrets. He fought for the entirety of Leyte Gulf. Mom's Dad was a hardcore Chicago Bears fan, my Dad's Dad was a huge Cal Aggie fan when pops transferred to Davis.
  • AggieFinn

I'd say let's hang out, but I'm not doing that Davis project anymore. Been building walls up in fire country above Los Gatos!
  • fugawe09
    If the years were having a poker match, 2020 would be the player who had too much to drink and was driving up the bet with 1929, 1941, and 1968 while only holding a pair of 2s.

As a long distance Aggie fan, I miss how Scott Marsh marches forward with calling the play after DK makes one of his signature oddball remarks.
  • 72Aggie
    I'm a generation up on you. My dad was in college as the war broke out. Finished his undergrad in three years and medical school in another three because curricula were compressed for the war effort. Went to Europe in the army of occupation in '46 or '47. Had an uncle who was in heavy combat. I think he was in North Africa, but for sure landed at Anzio and spent three days under fire in a foxhole on the beach. My Dad says the uncle (his brother-in-law) was never the same when he returned. Probably what we now call post traumatic stress disorder.

And to wander further off topic my father-in-law was a pretty decent baseball player. He was stationed in the U.K. as a mechanic in the army air corps during WWII. They would patch up planes after bombing missions to get them ready for the next raid, then play ball the rest of the day. A bit like "M*A*S*H" in that they would often play against other airbases in England. I always joked that he kept the world safe for democracy by playing ball.
  • Riveraggie
    My dad was in high school when the war started, played a season of JC basketball in 42, got drafted in 43, learned to drive a tank destroyer in North Africa in 43 then spent six months in combat or hospital in France before spending two months as a POW in Germany. He left the Army as a sergeant shortly before his 21st birthday and played another season of basketball at the JC.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!