• DrMike
    Kind of expected this to happen, sadly. Program has been doing everything they can but county can set limits as they see fit
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Yeah I’m not surprised. Hopefully it’ll be safer by the time BW play starts, though I’m not banking on it
  • DrMike
    I don’t know what the situation is with the rest of the league. Which schools are in LA county? Is that why some haven’t played yet?
  • Russ Bowlus
    Fullerton, Long Beach, and Northridge are in LA county, if I read the map correctly.

CSUN women aren't playing this season; already announced.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    off the rope of my head, we have teams in the following counties: slo, Santa Barbara, riverside, San Diego, orange, yolo, LA and I think Kern. Plus Hawaii. Lots of different county boards will have a say.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Governor and Regents will have something to say as well, I imagine. Are sports contests "essential travel?" Probably not...
  • SloStang
    My feeling is the players are better off playing where they are being tested 3 times a week and they have more of a reason to social isolate themselves. They want to play basketball so they are more likely to stay in their bubble. No basketball and they will see no reason isolate from other students and people.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Good point, SloStang.
  • BlueGoldAg
    According to KCRA News the Yolo County Covid Restrictions still allow outdoor dining, retail shops can still allow up to 20% capacity, and gyms and fitness centers are open outdoors with face masks mandatory. So you can still do all of these things but you can't host or travel to a basketball game that doesn't even have any fans in attendance. I don't get it....

Within the new Yolo County Health Officer Order, gatherings of any size are strongly discouraged, and only outdoor gatherings are permitted.

Restaurants and wineries can remain open with outdoor dining, but people sitting at a single table should be from the same household. Tables must also be at least 6 feet apart.

Indoor retail stores, including grocery stores, may remain open, but only at 20% capacity.

Gyms and fitness centers will be allowed to remain open outdoors, but face coverings will be required at all times, with the exception of aquatic activities like swimming.

Any sports are limited to drills and conditioning only, outdoors and with physical distancing.

https://www.aggiesportstalk.com/discussion/1489/basketball-on-hold
  • Toke69
    Hawaii is not shutting down so far. If the regular season get scuttled, maybe the Big West could open am NBA type bubble here for a tournament at least.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    The first BW games are now officially cancelled.

• DrMike
    that’s really sad; I just don’t see yolo changing things any time soon. Yet the rest of the conference, even the SoCal teams are playing
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I just turned on the Kasas vs TT game on ESPN and they actually have some fans in attendance. Not saying we should be following Texas guidelines, but it is frustrating.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    And if we ever do get back on the court this year, we'll have Christian Anigwe. NCAA has approved a blanket waiver for D1 transfers. He'll definitely help out with our interior defense.

ESPN
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Yolo County restrictions affecting the Aggie Basketball Teams are overly excessive. Caution is one thing but this is ridiculous given the small number of individuals involved, the testing available to the players and staff and the safety precautions that they are able to take.
  • DrMike
    Santa Clara led the way; they shut down just after the tournament we played in. Heck, I think even the Berkeley health director is allowing them to play
  • Gunrock47
    I agree. This makes it look as though Yolo knows better than health directors elsewhere.
  • DrMike
    I think those types of decisions frustrate the public. I’m in Alameda county which has been among the strictest. Governor came out with the 15% ICU shutdown criteria when our Bay Area region was at 25%. Well above,right? Next day Alameda shuts down because ‘it’s inevitable’. So we got a two week head start on the rest of our region. You can argue the 15% criteria, but it is at least a measurable criteria..... until it gets ignored by a local director. Sorry to go on a mini-rant.
  • Gunrock47
    Bingo. Yolo shutdown was preemptive too. Although it has since dipped below 15 percent (14.3 last I checked). Extremely frustrating for the athletic dept. (and us fans). I think it’s safe to say that Davis has the best Covid testing protocols in place in the entire Big West. I think any athletes who do indoor activities are tested daily with Davis’ saliva test. Benefits of having a med school. Yet Davis is the one that gets stalled indefinitely.
  • DrMike
    almost the whole state is in the 15% shutdown but only yolo and Santa Clara (to my knowledge) are prohibiting contact sports. That’s a county decision
  • movielover
    I thought the typical winter ICU capacity registered concern at 10%?
  • fugawe09
    UCD and city of Davis have probably one of the best testing and health campaigns in the country and results to show for it, but the situation is much different in Woodland and West Sac. Perhaps the county order was written with those communities in mind more so than Davis. Woodland and Davis have smallish hospitals, I don’t think West Sac has one, which leaves the county as a whole pretty reliant on hospitals in Sacramento county, which hasn’t kept its own porch clean, not to mention the large geographical area to the north and east that maybe aren’t taking things so seriously but are also competing for Sacramento hospital beds. Just hypothesizing the county’s thought process.
  • DrMike
    besides the Ags, I don’t know who else there is in Yolo effected. High schools are prohibited by CIF. Are there other colleges (JC’s?) in the county? Pretty sure Woodland CC doesn’t field a hoops squad.
  • fugawe09
    The order includes but is not limited to collegiate. There’s also Rivercats operations and at least used to be groups doing “private” youth sports camps and adult beer leagues, mainly in West Sac as I remember. I mean, maybe this was pointed at Aggie hoops, but possible it was really to manage one of those other groups.
  • Toke69
    I assume that "no contest" does not mean that the Aggies forfeit and take those four games as losses?
  • Gunrock47
    yeah. They’re just scratched from the overall bwc schedule
  • DavisAggie
    You have to know that Fullerton is in Orange County. Come on, man
  • Russ Bowlus
    Ha. I guess I should know that given that my Mom grew up there when there were still orange orchards! My bad. :lol:
  • SloStang
    Cal Poly men’s basketball cancels games against Hawaii and UC San Diego due to a positive Covid test. Cal Poly’s women’s team cancels games against Hawaii due to a Covid issue with one of their recent opponents.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!