• CA Forever
    Going to be an interesting match up this week versus the Vandals. I believe most people saw them as an underdog versus EWU, but they managed to come out with a win. I don't know what our quarterback situation is going to look like, but I was pretty unimpressed with Beaudry after he self-proclaimed himself the best quarterback in the Big Sky. He looked especially bad in the first half where at one point he was something like 8-21 for less than 100 yards and a pick 6 thrown into ridiculously bad coverage. Credit where credit is due though, he did pick it up in the 2nd half. As mentioned in one of the other threads, they have a couple of dangerous looking receivers so this should be an early test for our depth at DB. Their defense did a relatively good job at containing EB3 and forcing him to throw instead of being able to run all over the place. Idaho did sustain quite a few injuries during the game, although none of them looked too too serious. Probably just shaking the rust off after the long break.
  • Riveraggie
    Their coach is likely to be very aggressive in situational play calling, similar to Hawkins. Looking at the stats they were about as bad as you can get in converting on third and fourth down. 3rd down 4 for 14, 4th down 0 for 2. Their go to wide receiver is a sophomore who started three games at tight end last year. Idaho hat a lot of bad snaps from their second string center.

Beside QB the big question for us is what our defense looks like. We’ve got some very big transfer defensive linemen, From JC or small colleges, so unproven. We return our best lineman, I’m guessing we will be improved,
    Linebacker has some new faces in transfers from UCLA and Oregon State. The UCLA guy was a reserve for them but saw some action, graduated in three years, must be some kind of a record.
  • Thetoe
    Haven't posted in a long time but the program posted a depth chart for the coming game?
  • Zander
    None that I can see
  • Riveraggie
    The game notes usually didn’t appear until Wednesday or Thursday. So maybe that will happen this year. That’s the only place the depth chart appeared.

Maybe this year will be different because nothing is coming out about the team this year, at least so far.
  • CA Forever
    Not that a depth chart from Hawk means anything when it lists a 3 deep and never lists a starter... X or Y or Z.
  • Idaho Aggie
    Just got my tickets, in the required block of 4. For those of you planning to come out, in the past visitors have usually sat in sections 9 and 10.
  • movielover
    Lots of turnover on D, and a new very young DC & OC. Cam Trimble and Cade Peacock back. Will we see DB Harlston?
  • agalum
    I was looking up the weather for the game then realized they have a dome. “The Kiddie Dome,” described by ESPN as “the tiny Dome.”
  • Riveraggie
    but since we don’t know the three or four deep even that would be interesting. Usually the opponents game notes come out before ours and often include a depth chart UCD provided. So I would look at Idaho’s website on Wednesday
  • Riveraggie
    On defense I think we are much deeper and more experienced this year assuming the injured guys are healed. Linebacker had a lot of new faces last year and defense got off to a bad start but improved. I think we did a good job replacing the graduated defensive linemen but that remains to be seen. In the defensive backfield, I cannot believe how many proven and experienced guys we have there. It will be interesting how all those pieces fit together.
    I notice that Princeton Toki is now listed on defense. He and another big freshman might not play much but the other two probably will. Including Princeton, our four biggest DL additions weigh over 1300lbs.
  • movielover
    Is it my imagination, or have we increased the average height of our DBs by 2 inches?

I think Venable (?) may be an impact player, and Perryman will only be better. The big guys on our D line may be young.

Will not playing hurt Montana & Montana State?
  • movielover
    One poll has Idaho at #19.
  • Riveraggie
    You’re right about the biggest of the four 300lb plus D linemen but one is a senior. I thought two were transfers but just the one.
    I can’t see how not playing helps Montana and Montana State. Are they doing spring practices? They likely are. So they’re running COVID risk anyway, what little risk there is.
    Teams that play get to see how all their new guys fit in. They’ll be better in the fall because they played in the spring, as long as they don’t get a lot of injuries. I’ve seen on this board that this year spring doesn’t count against eligibility. If so it’s like a no cost redshirt year for young guys. It works out great for us with the coaching and QB transitions as far as preparation for fall is concerned.
  • Riveraggie
    I notice on the roster that our 2019 most improved defensive player, Da’Von Frazier has moved back to defensive back from linebacker. He started the last game we played at outside linebacker. This may be an indication the team feels good about their linebackers.
  • agalum
    Interview with the Vandal’s coach about the game: https://govandals.com/news/2021/3/2/football-no-19-vandals-host-aggies-saturday.aspx

We are a big “unknown” but he sings praises about Gilliam.
  • movielover
    "Tubs at the Club" ? LIVE CHAT right now (8:08) on YouTube - from Idaho. Idaho UCD preview.

Caught one comment. Eaton "an animal".

https://youtu.be/OOsB-CXzEPc
  • movielover
    They claim Idaho lost their #2 receiver (knee) and starting center (from an inexperienced O line).

Also assertion that Idaho was gassed against EWU (?) due to the speed of their offense and the indoors being warm / hot? One suggestion is that if we play fast / lots of reps - and prevent D substitutions, we could have the same affect (Idaho players cramping up).

Edit: The Vandals apparently inconsistent week to week. Receivers dropped a lot of balls last week.
  • Riveraggie
    Hawkins even more secretive than usual:
    https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggies/ready-or-not-here-comes-aggie-football/
    Bunch of new guys traveling because they’ve been with the program for half a year, is about the only info that he provides. But he won’t name anyone. Jeez
  • CA Forever
    I have to imagine that we have a starter and he's keeping the name quiet. Not a good sign if we are really going with a game time decision. I know that everyone's schedules have been off due to covid, but at this point if you are truly unable to name a starter then it's because no one has stood out enough.
  • CA Forever
    The folks at the Idaho forum just put up their prediction thread and the first individual picked 42-10 Vandals. I have a hard time believing that will happen, but I suppose you never know. Aggies by 1 score.
  • movielover
    The live chat last night on YouTube had most guessing a close game, or Idaho rolling it up.

Hawkins keeping a tight lip. Remember the Spartans.

WR Chaz Davis (6'3") listed in 2 spots, and newcomer Casey Granfors (6'4" RFr). RB Trever Facey makes the 5 deep after an injury.
  • Riveraggie
    The most notable thing about our defense is the number of freshmen in the DL spots. We had a few defensive linemen who didn’t come back despite having remaining eligibility.
  • CA Forever
    My initial impression were not a ton of surprises on offense. A lot of returners on the line, wide receiver, and running back. The biggest question continues to be who will play quarterback on Saturday. On defense we listed a lot of youth for sure. Our nose tackles are huge even by nose tackle standards. Ambagtsheer is now listed on the D line after initially being recruited for TE. Will be interesting to see who actually gets the start here in a couple of days.
  • SloStang
    My guess is the coaches have the QB narrowed down to 2 QBs at most and probably have a starter but are keeping quite to keep Idaho guessing.
  • Riveraggie
    Surprising that Josiah Suani isn’t listed, after starting six games for us at Nose last year. Also, Bryce Rogers now a nose tackle.
    And Safety is so dominated by freshmen, Where is Erron Duncan?
  • AggieFinn
    Idaho's gotta be riding high, and we just switched offensive coordinators a couple of months ago. What can we expect? Hopefully, a solid gameplan, we've had enough time to prepare.
  • Riveraggie
    There is no reason Cody Hawkins has to change anything from what they were doing in the fall, and since he was receivers coach he’s intimately familiar with Plough’s offense.
    He can evolve things over time.

Bigger changes are in the defense where this is the first game under Coombs and he has moved quite a few people to different positions and we’ve had more turnover of personnel. Freshman Safeties, except for Isaiah Thomas, on the depth chart when we have a number of veterans DBs on the roster. Our two starting returning corners are now listed at the same position. I don’t know if the depth chart is definitive but it’s a little worrisome to have that much inexperience on the D Line and Safety, and to have many returning players in altered positions. Less continuity than on offense.
  • CA Forever
    I think Dan has even stated in news articles that the offense is changing very little right now. Cody is basically running Plough's playbook with a few personal twists. What I'm hoping to see from Cody is management of tempo. It will be tough with a new QB and OC, but I think if we can run up tempo out of the gate it could catch Idaho off guard.

In regard to the defensive youth, I'm sure Coombs is putting us in the best position to win some games. If Hawk had a wildly different opinion on guys starting we'd see him intervene. Youth doesn't necessarily mean unprepared, but I agree that there is A LOT of youth in that 2-4 deep.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!