• CA Forever
    I took a peek over at the Cal Poly forum and there is some drama going on. Apparently several members of the team, including QB Hunter Raquet (per twitter) and QB Jalen Hamler (per a forum poster), have been informed that they are no longer part of the team.

There hasn't been a statement about players breaking team rules and a forum poster, who must be on a personal level with Raquet, said that he was totally blindsided. I get the team really REALLY struggled in this odd season, but as far as I know it is pretty unprecedented for a new coach to not honor the scholarships of previously recruited players.
  • movielover
    An option QB probably doesn't fit in the new system. And Hamler has also been involved in some very controversial public events in SLO, including a protest where rocks and bottles were thrown at police, a freeway shut down, and alleged requests for donations to BLM groups.

https://calcoasttimes.com/2020/08/18/blm-protesters-demand-money-from-san-luis-obispo-businesses/
  • CA Forever
    You've brought this up before and honestly I don't think it's what is at play here for a couple of reasons. It doesn't explain why other players were cut and if it was really an issue to Baldwin why didn't he dismiss him before the season started.

Unless a statement comes out from the team about rules being broken, then I'm to believe it was based on performance which is very much so not common in the college even if the player no longer meets the scheme. These aren't professionals where getting cut is common.
  • SloStang
    Could be the QBs were told their skills do not translate to the new system at QB and they were asked to change positions and they chose not to. I could see Raquet (6’4” 220) as a TE and Hamler at WR, RB or DB.
  • CA Forever
    That could be a possibility, but does that mean that Baldwin has a transfer lined up or has faith in one of the guys who didn't play this season?
  • SloStang
    My guess is a transfer.
  • movielover
    Technically, they can't have a scholarship taken, right, if they are making grades? Schollie can be honored but removed from the team. But I'm told some coaches have numerous ways to change a roster.
  • SloStang
    Scholarships are yearly commitments.
  • agalum

Sorry about the drama SLO, as i said before no doubt you guys will be back strong, sooner than later.
  • Riveraggie
    I think this stuff happens fairly often, just not with starting quarterbacks. The new coaching staff not getting any style points to offset their poor performance on the field. If they weren’t proven coaches one would think the wheels were coming off the bus.
  • SloStang
    I think the coaches have come to the conclusion that the bus has no wheels already and are scrambling to find some. I wouldn’t be surprised to see more than a couple of FBS transfers added to the roster before next fall.
  • Riveraggie
    But why did it take them a year and a half? Contrast that to our 2017 transition where we recruited a new QB as the first order of business. This limited season would have been a good time to get players oriented to the new system, and they’ve missed that opportunity.
    I don’t doubt they’ll get the team righted because they have a proven coaching staff, but how long will it take?
  • SloStang
    Because they had zero spring practices, only 2 or 3 fall practices before getting shut down by Covid. I think we all saw the results this spring. It is hard to tell exactly what you have in Zoom meetings instead of actual practices.
  • Riveraggie
    Now they’re missing more practice. I assume they’re not practicing again until summer.
  • SloStang
    I believe they are hitting the weight room and conditioning. While I don’t think they will be challenging for a Big Sky Championship in 2021, I believe you will see significant improvement and the staff building a foundation for future success.
  • NCagalum
    Slostang,

I noticed that the football field had been over seeded with annual eye to make it look nice for spring football. I hope it doesn’t mess up the Bermuda too much for fall. I asked a colleague at the irrigation center there about the “rugged look” of the bermudagrass field in 2019 and he said there had been water restrictions in place on campus. I have to give you guys kudos for keeping a natural grass field. I am sure it is easier on player’s joints and I think it just looks better - but then I am pretty old school.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!