• BlueGoldAg
    Women's Big West Tournament March 7-11

The first two rounds will be played at The Walter Pyramid in Long Beach (capacity 5000) and the semi-finals and finals will be played at The Honda Center in Anaheim (capacity 18,336)

TV: Rounds 1-3 - ESPN3; Finals - Fox Sports Prime Ticket

Tuesday March 7
    WBB First Round

#5 UC Riverside vs #8 UC Irvine 6:00 PM ESPN3 (@ Long Beach State)
    #6 Hawaii vs #7 Cal Poly 8:30 PM ESPN3 (@ Long Beach State)

Wednesday March 8
    WBB Quarterfinals

#4 UC Santa Barbara vs lowest remaining seed 6:00 PM ESPN3 (@ Long Beach State)
    #3 CSUN vs highest remaining seed 8:30 PM ESPN3 (@ Long Beach State)

Friday March 10
    WBB Semifinals

#1 UC Davis vs lowest remaining seed 12:00 PM ESPN3 (@ Honda Center)
    #2 Long Beach State vs highest remaining seed 2:30 PM ESPN3 (@ Honda Center)

Saturday March 11
    WBB Championship

TBD vs TBD 4:00 PM FSPT
  • BlueGoldAg
    Tuesday March 7
    First Round Scores

#5 UC Riverside 92 #8 UC Irvine 60
    #6 Hawai'i 71 #7 Cal Poly 50

Wednesday March 8
    Second Round
    Games

#5 UC Riverside vs #4 UC Santa Barbara
    #6 Hawai'i vs #3 CSUN
  • BlueGoldAg
    Wednesday March 8
    Second Round Scores

#3 CSUN 71 #6 Hawai'i 64
    #4 UC Santa Barbara 81 #5 UC Riverside 71

Friday March 10
    Semifinal Games

#1 Aggies vs #4 UC Santa Barbara
    #2 Long Beach State vs #3 CSUN
  • 72Aggie
    So there's a "UC bracket" and a "CSU bracket."
  • BlueGoldAg
    Friday March 10
    Semifinal Games

#1 Aggies vs #4 UC Santa Barbara 12 noon. Live stream on ESPN3

#2 Long Beach State vs #3 CSUN 2:30 pm. Live stream on ESPN3
  • BlueGoldAg
    Sac Bee feature article on Coach Jen Gross and her husband, assistant coach Joe Teramoto:

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ailene-voisin/article137599043.html
  • CA Forever
    Aggies up on the Gauchos 30-29 at halftime. GO AGS!
  • CA Forever
    Aggies are down 52-45 at the end of the 3rd. Gonna need a comeback now.
  • Zander
    Just rename us UCNIT already
  • CA Forever
    UCSB pulls off the upset and beat the Aggies 73-59
  • Zander
    Returning all of our starters and and getting one of the top HS centers next year really takes the sting out of it a little. Let's go win the WNIT.

Still though, I have 3 semifinals to watch today and this was supposed to be the easiest W. Might end up being a rough day...
  • BlueGoldAg
    The old adage that it's tough to be a team 3 times in one season held true today for the Aggies. You have to give the Gauchos credit though. They beat the Aggies in all phases of the game and particularly on defense. They were jumping the passing lanes the whole game and the Aggies just kept throwing soft, telegraphed passes that got stolen and led to points off TO's for SB. The Gaucho guards were too quick for the Aggies to handle as they penetrated into the lane off the dribble time and time again.

This has to be a bitter pill for the Aggies to swallow. They beat themselves with TO's as much as UCSB beat them. At halftime, Coach Gross said the Ags had to take better care of the ball but they continued to make some critical, poor passes in the second half.

Bonnie Henrickson has turned the SB program around in just two years. She brought in several D1 transfers like Drew Edelman from USC, Drea Toler from Oregon and Sarah Porter from Ole Miss . They'll be a force next year.

The Ags future looks bright with only one senior leaving the team and some nice recruits coming in. The biggest problem I see that the Aggies have is a lack of quickness in the front court. We have relatively big guards that have trouble defending smaller more athletic guards like UCSB has. I'm not sure how Jen Gross will be able to address that next year.

As disappointing as this loss is, at least we're off to the WNIT where we might have a better chance at winning a game or two.

Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Bonnie Henrickson is on the fast track of putting UCSB women's basketball back on the map after several dreadful years under their previous coach. She has 5 D1 transfers on this year's team and they are a relatively young team overall so they'll be in the mix next year too.

One thing I noticed as a difference between Henrickson and Jen Gross is what they say after a loss. Jen was very complimentary about how UCSB played and what they did that made the difference in the game. She also was gracious in her comments about the Aggies and praised them for the goals they accomplished already this season and didn't dwell on this disappointing loss.

http://www.bigwest.org/userfiles//2017%20UCSB-UCD%20Quotes.pdf

In a post-game TV interview after the Aggies beat the Gauchos in Santa Barbara this year, Henrickson had nothing to say about the Aggies win even when the UCSB TV commentator kept saying how impressed he was with the Aggies. Instead, she groused about what her team did not do that she said made it easy for the Ags.

Henrickson may have turned things around at UCSB but I'm glad we have a coach like Jen Gross at the helm of the Aggies. She's humble when we win and supportive when we lose and gives credit to our opponents for what they did well. Not so much for Henrickson.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies have put in a bid to host a first round WNIT game. I'm not sure what our chances are to get a home game but it would be great if we do. A big home crowd and a noisy environment would be awesome for the team and for Aggie fans.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Long Beach State nipped UCSB 56-55 to win the Big West Tournament and a ticket to The Big Dance.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!