• AggieFinn
    Well, we're into the money games.

A tough road contest against a strong team in NAU.

1 pm PT kickoff, game will be covered on 1140 KHTK and ESPN+
  • agalum
    It looks like they average 420 yards per game, 250 of which is thru the air. They give up 274 thru the air, average. They have been up and down. They win against Az, lose to N. Colorado, lose 44-0 to Sac, and beat the Vandals. Off and on injuries maybe?
  • Riveraggie
    Part of their inconsistency might be due to their true freshman, class of 21 QB. They also have a freshman running back, a big guy at 6’2” 225 who had 177 yards rushing against Idaho. Their QB is a scrambler more than a runner, very mobile. They can be explosive,
    This is a better team than anyone we’ve played this season in BigSky other than Weber.
  • DavisAggie
    They have excelled against poor pass defenses: Idaho, Idaho St., and Southern Utah, who are some of the worst in the country. Had difficulty against competent ones: N. Col, Sac St.
  • NCagalum
    Am hoping offense wakes up this week. I wish I had a better feeling about this game, but the SLO performance was not good. The Ags had the worst output (points scored) against SLO save for San Diego. Defense has really been stellar for the most part and that is comforting. I have no idea who will start at QB but it sounds from the press conference last week that it will be Hastings. If so I hope he does well but I have yet to see flashes that say “this is the guy to get you wins”. Fine for safe games and shorter throws but I think in big games they need someone more mobile. QB is such an important position and it needs to sorted out/improved on fast going into the last three games and potential playoffs.
  • agalum
    I missed today’s press conference. Anything interesting? QB chatter?
  • Riveraggie
    No QB chatter, talked a bit about tackling bigger backs. Carson Crawford handled a number of questions, He presents himself very impressively.
  • DrMike
    most interesting part I heard (only heard the opening) is no practice today due to NCAA restrictions on election days. How long does it take to cast a ballot? Fortunately with the bye we went hard on Sunday so on track for normal practice routine.
  • zythe
    Are we technically in the playoffs?
  • movielover
    Defense would have even better numbers if they had more rest and strategy time while the offense chewed up yards and clock.
  • 69aggie
    If Hastings gets the start I think that might show that the HR concussion was much worse that anyone reported. Credit Hawk for letting him rest and heal. Maybe we go to the multi-quarterback system that is now the rage. I believe we have the horses to run that system.
  • agalum
    Boy, the NAU forum has got to be the worst in the league. Totally dead over there.
  • cmt
    I think we need another win to guarantee a spot. If we lose three close games maybe we squeak in but it's unlikely.
  • DrMike
    I think 7-4 is very unlikely; we’d be, at best, 5th in the league with 4-4.
  • agalum
    https://azdailysun.com/sports/local/nau-football-readies-for-quality-uc-davis-squad/article_da878054-ce55-5e0b-9245-aa81204eecff.html

“ There is a belief among the Northern Arizona football team that if it wins its final three regular-season games, it could sneak into the playoffs.”

“We try not to think about that and go one game at a time, but I would think we would,” Ball said of making the playoffs with a 7-4 record. “With our conference and the reputation of our conference, I think we would. But you never know.”

“ Northern Arizona’s defensive backfield has been hampered by injuries, time missed due to COVID-19 protocols and other factors. Ball said he needs the group to still perform well, regardless of who is in the game.”
  • agalum
    https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/uc-davis-football-headed-down-the-stretch/

“Everyone strives to be in this position at this point. We’re not perfect by any means, but there aren’t many teams in the country who can say they’re 7-1, so now it’s all about how we finish. We just need to keep being the best version of ourselves,” said Hawkins.

“This is the time when championships are decided,” Hawkins added.
  • Riveraggie
    I see that Luka Nixon, a second team all Big Sky pick this spring hasn’t played since the Weber game. He missed some games prior to that one, Luka was really a big factor this spring.
    Also Casey Granfors, who made 3 tackles on special teams against Tulsa, a pretty impressive feat hasn’t played since Dixie.
    I assume both are injured.
  • AggieFinn
    Nixon and Granfors have both been missed, but the Aggies need better play from the QB to get two wins these last three games.
  • Riveraggie
    The next 3 games are against the three top offenses in the Big Sky in both yards and scoring in Big Sky games.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The stage is set and all the marbles are on the table in these final 3 games with the playoffs in the balance. Like Hawk says, i hope we'll just be the best version of ourselves that we can be in each time we take the field.
  • NCagalum
    Two metaphors and an idiomatic expression in the first sentence. Pretty impressive .

I have no idea of how this game will go. Potential vs. potential says Aggies, but with so much variability in both teams I think it may be an enigma wrapped in a conundrum
  • agalum
    We are going to get a reality check Saturday. Can we compete with the middle of the big sky and make a statement? 2-1 would be great, 0-3 is possible. Thankful we have the last two at home.
  • Russ Bowlus
    I'm feeling pessimistic about the Davis offense's ability to score when needed--kinda think UCD takes the L here, but would be happy to be proven wrong.
  • movielover
    I'm trying to be optimistic. Hastings played excellent for a rookie with only 1 start under his belt, and both he, HR, and the O line have 2 weeks to rest and regroup. Win with 2 or 3. No one complained when Coach Sochor brought in Bob Biggs @ Hayward.
  • AggieFinn

The next 3 games are against the three top offenses in the Big Sky in both yards and scoring in Big Sky games.

I don't say this often...maybe 2005? But I have more faith in our defense at the moment than our offense. If we force 2 or 3 turnovers that may prove to be huge for the O.
  • agalum

Has our defense scored this season? We might need that.
  • agalum
    https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/bobs-picks-stanford-tennis-golf-teams-look-better-than-football/

“ AGGIES over NORTHERN ARIZONA … what could possibly go wrong for our local heroes on the 50th anniversary of the Miracle Game? Well, for one thing, the opponent this Saturday is not Cal State Hayward. Take the Ags by 7.”

What Bob, not 27, lol.
  • Riveraggie
    One of the implications of these three opponents being the best offenses in the league is that our defense hasn’t been tested by this level of FCS offense,
    so having faith in them is really a matter of faith, and not experience.
  • DavisAggie
    Total offense and total defense are two of the most misleading stats in football. Pass eff. defense, ypp, ypr, red zone offense/defense more telling
  • AggieFinn

The defense has had opportunities to score I know they dropped a pick 6 vs. Cal Poly.
  • DrMike
    I think 2 v Poly. One early in first half, one later in the game on their trick play. First one especially so.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!