• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies travel to San Francisco for a 5 pm game with the Dons Thursday. Both teams are coming of loses in their last game. The Ags fell flat in the 4th quarter against St Mary's and got nipped 52-50 and the Dons got blown out by Cal 70-41 at the Chase Center last Saturday.

Live stream from the WCC Network: https://wccsports.com/watch/?sid=471705

Go Ags!
  • abridge
    We'll have to see a much better rebounding performance by the Ags in this game. St Marys creamed the Ags on the boards 42-27. Often there were no Aggie bodies near the hoop after a shot, they were all retreating down the court. I've seen this in the past. I'm still concerned. Not sure if it's an outcome of our offense or what. But we had THREE offensive rebounds against the Gaels, they had THIRTEEN that yielded 10 points to our 2. Hard to win many games like that.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Exactly. Rebounding seems to be struggle each year despite our length. I'm not sure why this continues to happen. I hate to say it but we just don't seem to be as aggressive and quick to the ball as many of our opponents. It's an area of concern for sue.
  • Russ Bowlus
    I think it's partly our offense--a lot of the players start and end outside the 3-pt line.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags trail 20-12 after the 1st quarter. Poor shooting by both teams but poor shooting (25%) and sloppy play by the Ags (6 TO's) already.
  • MTBAggie
    Wow, down 14 at the half. My wife (USF alumni) is gloating, not caring at all about USF sports...
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags trail 37-24 at the half. Really poor basketball on both ends of the floor by the Ags. 14 TO's already. We are really missing Trpcic at PG. Burns has 7 TO's from telegraphed and hurried passes.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Might be one of the worse halves of basketball I've ever seen by the Ags. Passing balls straight into double teams, standing around watching while the ONE USF player grabs the rebound, standing around on offense. I could go on and on. Something just is not right with this team yet this year. Really surprising given how much experience they have on the roster.
  • abridge
    This is the worst half of basketball from the Ags I’ve seen in, well, over a year. The team looks foot-slow and unfocused. Poor passing. Careless ball handling. This is not looking like a team that deserves to be ranked in any way. They just aren’t aggressive. Hope Jen fires ‘em up for the 2nd half.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Couldn't agree more. Jen was obviously trying different lineups to try and find some cohesion but it didn't help.
  • BlueGoldAg
    And it is only getting worse: Ags down 22 at the end of the 3rd 56-34. 20 TO's by the Aggies...
  • abridge
    Ouch. Wonder when we’ve lost this badly in a game where we should have been at least competitive.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I couldn't take it and bailed at halftime. Coach Gross has some serious work to do.
  • MTBAggie
    I think the announcers must have said 20 times that Davis is picked to win the Big West. I don't see that happening this year after these first few games...
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags lose 73-46.

You can't sugar coat what we just saw. It was simply awful in every aspect of the game. The Ags had 26 TO's and were 4 of 18 from 3. But is wasn't the overall poor shooting that did them in, it was the unfocused play and TO's which led to 24 SF points. The Aggie defense broke down way too often also.

This is a very experienced team but something is way off at the moment. We only lost Trpcic and Gibbs and have several highly touted recruits but we're playing really sloppy basketball.

Jen has a problem at PG right now. Burns has been tossed into the fire at the point and, although she's quick and energetic, she's telegraphing passes and turning the ball over way too much...9 in this game alone. Sanders can play point but she struggles defensively and can get beat off the dribble too often. Burns is not alone in the TO category though. There were 26 tonight so the rest of the team isn't doing so well either.

I'd like to say that good teams are just going to have games like this sometimes but the Ags have not played well yet this year including their exhibition game. We've gotten spoiled watching the Ags dominating the Big West the last 5 seasons so you know the rest of the league is delighted with what they are seeing from the Ags so far.

About the only thing you can say right now is thank heavens we weren't playing Stanford or Oregon tonight...
  • 69aggie
    Things wil be better gen is no dummy.
  • abridge
    I think this will be a real test for Jen but one she’s up to. She has a good staff who know a darn sight more about basketball than I do. They have lots of games ahead before conference. So interesting times.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think the talent is there. They're just playing together with focus and cohesion. I hope they get things straightened out before the Sac game next Tuesday.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Just to make us all feel a little better: Stanford WBB had 41 turnovers after two games :grimace: --they also graduated a star guard. So, even the big programs have these issues!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!