• CA Forever
    Maybe he wants to come teach some offense for the Aggies :wink:

• AggieFinn
    We need somebody to help develop QBs...which is strange saying with the Hawkins' in the fold, but there has been a clear drop off once Plough left last January.
  • Riveraggie
    Plough worked with all the QBs who got playing time, for several years. He owns some credit for their development or lack there of.
    I don’t know if Cory Hawkins is a good coach or not. I think he is knowledgeable, based in his playing career, and coaching resume. I think it’s a lot to ask a first year coordinator to also coach rookie QBs as their position coach.That’s a lot of work for a guy who is new to both roles.
  • movielover
    One writer in Boise said Plough was on the hot seat as they went 7-5. Cody's experience is primarily with Dan? I got tired of the sometimes predictable 1st and 2nd down Gilliam up the middle - Hawk was supposed to be against "see ball, get ball". It doesn't matter if you shift guys and have a fake sweep, if they know 90% of the time it's a give to UG.
  • Riveraggie
    Cody was highly regarded recruit after being HS player of the year in Idaho and won two state championships, then played three seasons in a major conference, passed for over 3000 yards as a sophomore.. He’s been a receivers coach at Davis. On paper he’s well qualified for the job he has, Whether he can perform well in that job is to be determined.
    Plough and Tim Keane who went to Boise from here, are criticized for a not very physical offensive line, and the immobile quarterback not being protected. Plough kind of raised expectations and didn’t live up to them. He was talking 50 points a game and couldn’t get 30.
  • agalum

Or it might be that he needs a few more tools in his tool chest. I’m thinking OL, mobile qb with good tosses, etc. When HR was on his game, Gilliam was more successful, likely bc the defense had to respect both weapons.

I’m anxious to see what we have and listen to Hawkins comments at the recruitment party. Sometimes you learn more over drinks, wink.
  • movielover
    No knock on Cody, but he played for Dan in college, worked with him in Europe, and now here. Veteran coaches often see 3, 4, 5 different programs, coaches, schemes, etc.

Sure, we need more weapons to advance inside the playoffs.
  • Riveraggie
    There is a clear difference in physicality between our team and the teams we need to beat. We had a great game plan and some breaks when we beat Tulsa. But when we play teams that are familiar with what we do it’s harder. Our team needs the ability to play some power football to make the rest work.
  • Riveraggie
    Compare Hawkins experience with Ploughs on his first time here. Cody has more experienced playing and coaching.
    Being a coaches son means growing up in football. As a quarterback in Colorado he played for other coaches besides his father so he’s seen other perspectives; his offensive coordinator at Colorado went on the be head coach at Oregon and offensive coordinator for the Chicago Bears. He worked as a position coach here under Plough. I wouldn’t discount his knowledge of the game just because his Dad was head coach.
  • 69aggie
    The eternal search for the “Got it” when we don’t have the “Got it”. I don’t fault Cody at all for the disappointment this season. HR went down and that really was it for the season for us. Cody could only do what he could at that point and MH just was not enough although he was absolutely not bad at all because in the BS you as a QB have to be able to run the football. That just a given. I think with TT and a strong OL we will do much better next year. Yes, TT can learn to pass very well!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!