• CA Forever
    It's time for a good old-fashioned rivalry game! The Mustangs are coming to town looking for a win not only to salvage their season, but to pick up their first Golden Horseshoe since 2016.

On offense the Mustangs are averaging 409 yards per game (312 passing and 97 rushing), but are managing to only score 21 points per game off those yards. Cal Poly started the year with RFr QB Jaden Jones who completed 50 of 88 (56.8%) for 655 yards with 5 touchdowns and no interceptions. RJr QB Spencer Brasch has since taken over and has completed 110 of 187 (58.8%) for 1399 yards with 11 touchdowns and 8 interceptions. Fr QB Bo Kelly saw action against EWU and completed 11 of 21 (52.4%) for 102 yards with no touchdowns and 3 interceptions.

The Mustangs receivers seem to have 2 significant threats in GS WR Chris Coleman who has 683 yards on 40 receptions with 3 touchdowns and RFr TE Josh Cuevas who has 359 yards on 32 receptions with 4 touchdowns. Coleman has notably had 4 games this season with at least 100 yards so he's definitely one that the DBs are going to have to lock down.

Cal Poly's run game is led by RJr RB Shakobe Harper who has gained 285 yards on 69 rushing attempts with 1 touchdown. So RB Adam Garwood has also taken significant snaps with 179 yards gained on 43 attempts with 2 touchdowns. It looks like their run game is somewhat lacking which will always be strange to me after so many seasons of watching their triple option.

On defense, the Mustangs are led by RSo LB David Meyer who has racked up 46 total tackles and is their current sack leader with 3.5 on the season. RSr DL Dustin Grein has been very disruptive in the backfield with 6.5 tackles for loss. Fr DB Jay'Vion Cole leads the team with 4 interceptions on the season.

Massey Ratings is currently giving the Aggies an 87% chance of winning with a predicted score of 38-17. We've played 2 common opponents so far this season in San Diego and Northern Arizona. Cal Poly had to come from behind to win 28-27 against San Diego and they lost 31-29 to Northern Arizona. Now the transitive property doesn't really hold up in football, but the Aggies SHOULD win comfortably. That being said, some of the rules get thrown out the window in rivalry games.

GO AGS!
  • AggieFinn2
    You started early this time. Ok, Cal Poly wins by 22 points.
  • CA Forever
    It all balances out as Dunning will predict the Ags to win by 200
  • AggieFinn
    Dunning is an Aggie Super Fan, but he knows the history of the program better than most.

Planning on being at this one. Bragging rights within the company.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    What is the current policy for Covid-19 for football? I remember seeing something for Mens BB but what about for this year?
  • movielover
    SLO sure is struggling.
  • CA Forever
    They really are, but that can also make them very dangerous. They have nothing to lose coming into this game. You have to wonder when Baldwin starts worrying about his job. I know he inherited a depleted roster and had they had a really wonky covid year, but he's currently 3-17 since taking over. That's... rough to say the very least.
  • Riveraggie

What were they doing with the QBs against Eastern? I watched a bit of it but why wasn’t their starter in for more than one completion?
  • CA Forever
    An article in the San Luis Obispo Tribune said,

"After the first drive, Baldwin opted to replace starting quarterback Spencer Brasch in favor of a two-quarterback system, alternating between Bo Kelly and Kahliq Paulette, neither of which has had much experience at the collegiate level."

"With the defensive side of the ball coming alive for the Mustangs, the team will look to get the offense back on track with Brasch, or with the dual quarterback system in Kelly and Paulette at the helm moving forward."

Sounds like Baldwin is just getting desperate to get SOMETHING going this season. We've been there with the QB salad we tried last season.
  • movielover
    Timing is so critical. TT has two excellent QBs at Sac,and a stud RB (Dotson left, they had 2). Didn't Baldwin build EWU?
  • CA Forever
    They weren't bad before Baldwin, but he definitely took them to the next level. He holds the highest win percentage in program history at .726 and got them a national championship.
  • movielover
    I'm glad our backup QBs got reps, I hope it happens again this year, and maybe use the whole playbook.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It's always so interesting to listen to Hawk...ever the philosopher...talking about the bigger picture than just the wins and loses. He knows that the game means so much more to the team and the players in the long run than the final score. We're lucky to have him and the players a fortunate to have a mentor like him.

I'm also always so impressed with how smart, articulate and humble the Aggie players are. We really do have a program that is truly about high character, student athletes. It makes it so easy to be an Aggie fan.
  • AggieFinn
    Poly's game vs. EWU last week:

• AggieFinn
    Poly's trip to Pocatello two weeks ago:

• BlueGoldAg
    Bob takes the Aggies by 35:

AGGIES over CAL POLY … The Mustangs versus the Mustangs. One of the best rivalries in the Big Sky, but no contest this time around.
    Take the University Farm by 35.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/bobs-picks-man-does-not-live-by-field-goals-alone/
  • DavisAggie
    Bob is feeling it
  • movielover
    If so, get the 2s, 3s, and 4s in, and dig into the playbook. Some tempo please. How about Gunnor Faulk on a rollout / QB option? And some deep throws.
  • agalum
    We better not count our chickens before they hatch, lol.
  • Toke69
    Most of you guys probably remember Rich Ellerson. I was his TA when he took a Psychology course at the University of Hawai`i back in 1976. Makes me feel really old that he's probably retired now. Check that. I AM really old.
  • NCagalum
    yes, remember him and LOL - he’s got a couple years on me. He coached poly in 2008 when they lost to Wisconsin in overtime by 1 point. I think their kicker missed a couple extra points that game (ouch). I remember listening to it.
  • CA Forever
    I totally agree. I think this team has more stability than it did last season, but ISU seemed like a guaranteed win and we all saw how that went.
  • AggieFinn
    3-4, got a rival coming into town, must win game, how are they not laser focused at the moment, both sides. Expecting rock 'em sock 'em robots down there, QB Play and turnovers are going to be big. I'm curious if Davis will try to establish a running game, fire the guns early and get Hastings hot, or just mix it up. Offensive play-calling in the first quarter of any rivalry game is always interesting.
  • Riveraggie
    My guess is that Davis is going to take advantage of the young Cal Poly defensive backs. Davis, surprisingly, is now leading the big sky in yards passing per game, and is second in efficiency. Cal Poly is next to last in passing yards allowed per game. They do have five interceptions so have to be carefully. The Cal Poly commentator on the broadcast stressed how many freshmen they’re playing 60 plays a game. I think Davis will exploit their inexperience.
    Run game should work too, but they’re middle of the road in run defense.
  • 69aggie
    Did someone say that the steam engine was fired up last game? But had a very weak whistle. Get that weak thing changed out. Our old whistle was extremely loud. That was the purpose of the whole thing. Who is in charge of the steam engine? Talk about a weak whistle, there you go.
  • agalum
    The steam engine should be called the “steamless engine.” While i haven’t walked over and looked at it, i think it has some sort of digital created sound. Not easy to hear from the west bleachers.
  • movielover
    Fake steam engine? Ramp it up!

I was a city boy but loved the cow bells, Aggie Band-a, and steam engine.
  • NCagalum
    and cheerleaders in denim with milk cans…..
  • ARI
    Besides winning the next two games, I think the key to our playoff run (starting with Idaho) will be getting and keeping players healthy. In particular our O-line. Against CP, hopefully we can get the starters out of the game in the 3rd quarter . . . which also provides other players some good game experience.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!