• Russ Bowlus
    Very abbreviated game notes are up: https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2022/10/31/womens-basketball-exhibition-with-the-gators-tips-off-2022-23-season.aspx

Pele's in the team picture, so that makes things officially official. ;)

Excited to see how this new line-up fares.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    It will be interesting to see how the new players fit in with the returners. Lots of minutes up for grabs.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Yup!

The conservative starting line-up seems like it would be Burns, Turner, Harris (or Shine), Sussman, and Svanholm, but who knows how practices have been going with all the new parts.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    that’s a good guess. I gotta think they brought in Sussman to get good minutes so starting would make sense. I’m wondering a bit about Sabel. She’s got good international and high level D1 experience.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Agreed on both counts. Gotta figure a former starter/Captain from Harvard wouldn't come in to ride the bench. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sabel in one of the starting wing spots by the time the conference season begins.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Anyone going to the game? If so, post up your observations and thoughts.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I decided to drop in. Looks like no Svanholm, Shine or Gray. No obvious injuries like casts or braces. Hopefully short term.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Let us know how it's going. Their doesn't seem to be any media coverage although the website says KDVS is carrying the game but they aren't so far and no Live State either.
  • Russ Bowlus
    No live stats on SFSU's site either. Grr.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    15-9 Ags after one qtr. Turner has 11 and Baker has 4. Turner’s shooting is in mid season form and Baker is quick. Russ nailed the starting lineup except for Norris instead of Svanholm.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Baker supposedly ran track in HS, according to an Instagram comment I read.
  • Russ Bowlus
    How does Norris look so far? The post position is my biggest question mark coming into the season, honestly.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    so interior defense is going to be an issue. So far I like Norris. Good size, some good athletic moves, and has fought for some rebounds. Her continued development will be important for the teams success. Ags ar playing more 3-2 zone than they “usually” do so that’s probably a sign that they aren’t comfortable with their man on man defense yet.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Really going to be hard to replace CC's toughness playing D against anyone and everyone.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    39-22 Ags at half. They turned off the stats so I don’t know exactly who scored what. Seemed more balanced in the second quarter.

Random thoughts. Turner needs to score well for us to win. She’s the focal point. Baker brings quickness to the point position that Burns and Gray don’t have. She needs to watch the turnovers but I’ll chalk some off that up to jitters. Norris is looking pretty decent. Moves well but it’s hard to gauge when you’re playing against a small D2 team. Sussman is definitely in the CC role but of course we can’t expect that level of contribution. All healthy players got into the first half.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Sandy Simpson and Dez Abayta in attendance. And Kayla Konrad doing analyst work with Greg Wong.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Kayla Livingston!

(Wedding was last week, I think)
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Yeah that’s why Darius wasn’t at the football game last week.

62-30 Ags after 3. Good defense turning into some easy buckets.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggie website links the radio broadcast to KDVS but the game isn't there...it's some sports talk. Sometime is screwy...
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Ags win 76-51. Went ice cold.

Overall looked decent. Sussman has good passing skills and is clearly a smart player. Don’t know if she has much of an outside shot but she’ll be a big contributor. Norris hit a corner three and was a lot more aggressive in the second half. We’ll have to watch out about the turnovers. Some of the sloppiness of course was because it was the first game. But still it’s a trend from last year.

Fun to have basketball back!
  • AggieFinn2
    They said SFSU was picked to finish ninth in the CCAA ? I think that's kind of stupid. People want to know who the contenders for the title are, not who's going to finish in or near the basement. Toward the bottom there's so much variability anyway because you're talking about teams you think will not be very good. How do you accurately rate mediocrity ? 8th/9th doesn't really matter. The message is, "We don't think you will do well." They should only vote on the first 3 spots. They don't give kids awards at HS graduation for finishing with near-worst GPA's.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thanks for the updates.

It sounds like it's going to take some time for this group to gel with all the new players coming in this year. I sure hope that the turnover problem will be much improved over last year. I thought that was the biggest problem last year's team had throughout the entire season and it cost them quite a few games.
  • Lizaggie
    What’s the difference between an exhibition game and a scrimmage. I see that exhibition scores were posted but not the men’s scrimmage against Chico
  • Russ Bowlus
    Division I programs have the choice to have a closed scrimmage with another Division I school or have an open exhibition game against a Division II, Division III, NAIA or even a foreign opponent. Division I programs are allowed to have two preseason games that do not count and it is up to each program how they wish to use the two games.

Doesn't make sense that the Chico game would be a scrimmage based on those definitions, though. Maybe the difference is open vs closed? I saw some grumbling during my searches that schools aren't always consistent in their terminology.
  • Lizaggie
    Thank you, in your search did you find anything out about the scrimmage
  • Russ Bowlus
    Ha, no--was just looking for general info. :)
  • Russ Bowlus
    Not seeing anything on Chico's website or social media about the scrimmage, which would make sense if it was closed, I guess.
  • Lizaggie
    Looking forward to seeing how Monday’s game goes.
  • abridge
    Enjoyed the game. The 3rd quarter showed the Ags at their best - running. Multiple fast breaks lead to layups.

Some snaps from the game:

Gators vs Aggies at Hamilton Court
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Great Pix! Thanks for sharing
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!