• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies will face their rival across the Causeway at 5 p.m. at the Golden 1 Center in Sacramento. The Hornets are much improved this year. They have wins over Santa Barbara (70-68 in OT) and Santa Clara (73-63) combined with a 2 point loss to Irvine (60-58).

I'm not sure there will be a live stream to this game. The Aggie website is only showing radio coverage.

Go Ags!
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    When was the last time they played Sac in Yolo County? I know they play at Golden1 for exposure but I wish they would have a real home court at home in front of the students.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    and what about the men?
    It would be nice for at least one of our teams to play them at home.
  • agalum
    Seems like we’re always the visitors at Golden One. Are we ever the home team?
  • BlueGoldAg
    We're the home team tomorrow for the men.
  • BlueGoldAg
    This is the second time for the women to play this game at the Golden1 Center. The Aggies won last year 75-46.
  • agalum
    Ladies struggling, down 10-20 end of first
  • BlueGoldAg
    20-10 Sac at the end of the first. Ags shooting 24% Sac 58%. Sac’s 6’5 post is having her way with the Ags
  • BlueGoldAg
    36-18 Sac at the half. Ags shooting 24%, 0-6 from 3 and 50% from the line. Combine that with inconsistent defense with Sac shooting 58% and you can see why Sac has doubled up the Aggies.
  • Zander
    Starting to get a maybe overreacted sense if existential dread for our athletics program as it’s becoming clear just how much Sac has been held back by bad coaching and institutional support in its revenue sports.

Not looking forward to getting out-recruited and out-supported by Sac in FB, MBB, and WBB for the next decade or two until the next realignment
  • Russ Bowlus
    Welp, that sucked. Hope they used up all their misses for the season! :grimace:
  • BlueGoldAg
    67-45 Sac - Final. Turner had 25 and Baker had 8. Ags shot only 28% including 1-14 from 3. There’s a lot of work to do before the conference starts
  • BlueGoldAg
    There were at least 8 missed layups.
  • movielover
    Men's hoops just won by 11. Don't panic. Their coach has hot feet, and recruited several players w only one year of eligibility.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Terrible game by the women. Just looked slow and lethargic.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It was really disappointing to watch. They can't just depend upon Turner to provide nearly the entire offense either.
  • BlueGoldAg
    First win by the Hornets since 2015 and this was also the lowest number of points by an Aggie team in a game against Sac since 2008.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    We are certainly missing Svanholm and Shine. Both look liked they have knee/leg injuries that I'm going to guess will keep them out all season. Sac continually drove by our perimeter defenders and with no rim protector, it made for easy shots. Really makes you realize how good Stobbarts was defensively.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Post-game quotes:

Regarding Evanne Turner:

“Instead of sitting in the locker room feeling bad about ourselves, she’s saying ‘hey, let’s everybody say one thing that we’re going to commit to getting better,'” Gross said. “It turns it into ‘alright we’re on a mission here’ and that’s important to our team, and that’s got to be what we do from now until March.”

“My teammates and the coaching staff believe in me to make sure that I get to the rim,” Turner said. “They put me in a position to score, and I think it’s just been a mentality that I continue that I go here at Davis is that we’re going to get the job done, I’m going to get the job done because I have so much belief in me.”

Added Gross, “She’s the one everybody wants to play with because she’s so much fun. She brings such an amazing joy to the court whenever she steps on it, and yet, she’s also the fiercest competitor I’ve ever coached. The passion shows up in so many ways. We’ve had some great leaders over the last couple of years, so to see her step into a role now where this is her team. She’s taken ownership on that, finding ways to connect with each and every person on the team to say ‘hey, come with me on this, let’s go.’ She has a lot of weight on her shoulders.”

Other quotes:

“Obviously, not our day today,” Gross said. “We’re all disappointed with the outcome.”

“Sac State is a good team,” Gross said. “Going into this game, we knew that. We knew that they had some weapons that were going to be tough for us, and they played a very good game. They shot the ball well. They executed. So, congrats to them.”

“We’re a young team,” Gross said. “We’re a team that has a lot of new pieces. We said from Day 1: our goal is, regardless of the outcome of any one particular game, we’re just going to continue to get better and better and better. I think that’s what I love about this team, our binds are really strong.”

“Jenn and UC Davis are a phenomenal program and have been for a long time,” Campbell said of his opposite number. “The utmost respect for them. Our program has a lot of respect for them. This was a big game for us. Tonight, we caught up to those guys.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/basketball-ucd-women-cant-catch-up-with-hornets/
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yes, we're going to have difficulty with teams who have interior size and physicality. Norris was trying hard to be physical with Sac's 6'5 post but just isn't strong and experienced enough yet to defend that kind of size. Not having Svanholm hurts. She's isn't as physical as Stobbarts was but, at 6'6, her length presents a problem for teams.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Our double team needs to get better. Their post only went to her left towards the middle of the lane, every single time. That means, if were going to double, it needs to come from the weekside defender. That double was either early, giving her their post an easy pass out to a wide open wing, or late, giving her an easy lane to the rim. The timing just was way off. You can play effective defense with smaller players but everyone on the court has to be working together and know what to do at the right time. We'll get better at that as time goes on, hopefully.
  • BlueGoldAg
    There's a lot to work on and I think we're going to take our lumps for a while. The ball movement and offensive flow was largely missing for the majority of the game especially in the first half. We also had quite a few opportunities close to the basket where we simply blew the layup with a wild shot after getting to the rim.

Sac did a good job of taking away the our 3 point looks too. That's Turner's bread and butter and she didn't get many clean looks the whole game. We can expect that team's will focus on making things tough for Turner in every game going forward.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!