• movielover
    We had outgrown DII, and Chancellor Meyer retired. If I recall, he was a no growth Chancellor.
  • AggieFinn2
    I think that was Texas A&M Kingsville.
  • AggieFinn

I know Davis played Texas A&M Kingsville a ton in the 80's and 90's.

TAMC has the two previous matchups with Davis from '98 and '99 on their Football History notes. in '98 the Aggies beat TAMC in Commerce, 36-0, in '99 the Aggies beat TAMC in Davis, 34-10.
  • Riveraggie
    Picked sixth in their conference, which has some good teams , Incarnate Word and S.E. Louisiana at the top. Statistically they had the top defense in the conference. They retained most of the defense staff, and feel good about their defense, with few holes to plug.
    They have a new coach, Clint Dolezel, an alum, whose background is mostly Arena Football. His offensive coordinator is also a former Lion QB and several of his assistants have Arena football in their background.
    They brought in 20+ Freshmen and 13 transfers.
    Certainly a hard team to scout for the first game.
    Their coach on Southland Conference Media day:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DCUjp64SC8
  • AggieFinn

Offensively, does this mean they're wide open, gun and gun?
  • Riveraggie
    TAMC had a field goal kicker hitting a 53 yard kick in their Spring game, has seven all conference preseason selection, had the best defense in their conference, and will have a new offense which no one has seen yet.
  • agalum
    Well, at least our heat will help the guys prepare for TX weather.
  • AggieFinn
    Expecting TAMC to be very physical with our offense early, our guys better be ready for a pop to the mouth.
  • Riveraggie
    We have a veteran team that plays a schedule of physical teams. It will be interesting how the new OC play calling responds to what TAMC is doing. I’m kind of surprised we don’t have an assistant offensive line coach, which we’ve sometimes had before. Cody is going to have to be watching the offense as a whole, play calling and coaching quite a few guys individually. I think that is more challenging than an OC coaching the quarterbacks, which was the case here.
  • DavisAggie
    Every team is physical. I would argue since they're run and gun, they're less physical.
  • AggieFinn
    That run and gun is their offensive scheme though, they're touting the #1 defense in their conference, so I expect they'll be tough defensively...and it'll be interesting to see the new OC's game plan.
  • NCagalum
    They beat SELA last year (team that beat Idaho in the playoffs) and seems to have had somewhat of an up and down season. Not a team to be taken lightly.
  • AggieFinn2
    TAMUC wins by 28 because Texas teams get it their way in Texas, except when they play each other.
  • DrMike
    we lose by forfeit when we’re informed a trip to Commerce violates Newton’s unfriendly state travel ban
  • AggieFinn2
    But "Gov. Newton" is alright with spending taxpayer dollars travelling to Central America to "learn about the suffering" and he has no idea how they feel about the LGBTQ community or abortion. What a hypocrite ! I didn't vote for that greasy slimeball either time.

I could actually see that forfeit happening. CA has collectively lost its mind. I would move but I believe as a longtime Californian I posess the vampiric mark that causes those who move out to try to turn their new state blue even though they swear that's the reason they left.
  • Russ Bowlus
    The travel ban hasn't been an issue yet, with four Big Sky states on the list (five, if you count the past games against S. Utah), so I don't know why it would suddenly become one.
  • AggieFinn2
    I think Dr. Mike was just using sarcasm and it provided me an opportunity to talk about the lunacy of CA. I got it out of my system..for awhile LOL.
  • 69aggie
    Boy. Dr mike. AggieFinn2. You are trying to make the first Aggie football game of 2023 into clash of political issues (Texas versus California)? Seems like you actually Are rooting for the Texas team.
    Cool off. Maybe take a shower. politics has no place in this thread. Shame for introducing this political issue onto this forum. Actually it is Newson not Newton. I thought you guys went to UCD and got an educational. Weird.
  • DavisAggie
    Leave politics out of the thread
  • AggieFinn2
    69Aggie-

Both of us know it's not Newton. I even put it in quotes. There's auto-correct and there is also messing up someone's name intentionally because you do not care for them.

Besides, I have seen you post off-topic multiple times before and I haven't said anything. This is one of those throwing stones in glass houses situations.
  • AggieFinn2
    I'm sorry, but I don't take orders from other message board users. You could have asked politely and I would have let it go but now I'm going to say something .

The last time I checked I have freedom of speech and I was not directly disrespectful to any members in my post (unless the Gov is a member of this online community, in which case sorry to hurt your feelings Gruesome).

So let's recap what happened. Dr Mike made a sarcastic joke and I acknowledged there was some truth to the joke even though I knew it was a joke. I even stated I was done. If I were you I'd ask myself why I feel the need to try to correct a stranger who clearly wanted to vent harmlessly. Priorities. So now this sub-topic has been extended two additional posts because two users decided to police others. I see things everyday I don't want to see. I pass them by. Scroll past the message. Not that hard.
  • 69aggie
    AggieFinn2
    Just go shower then to bed. No more mickeys.
    Tomorrow we’re all going to be good to go. No more newsoms, no more Texas no more political crap. This is a Aggie sports talk post! That’s it!
  • CA Forever
    I was listening to a Commerce podcast and they were saying that their starting QB from last season may be a no go to start the season against the Aggies due to a lingering injury. It's tough to know what we're actually going up against considering they have a revamped offense, have brought in a lot of transfer portal players, and return a pretty solid looking defense... but I will say this, a loss in any capacity in this game is not acceptable if we're pushing for the playoffs this year. We have what looks like at this point in time a pretty favorable conference schedule and we really need to come out of non-conference play 2-1.

In the same podcast that I was listening to the hosts gave each other 5 categories to pick from for predicting the Davis game (likely loss, possible loss, toss up, possible win, and likely win) and they both picked possible win which was a little surprising to me, but I guess it shows they have confidence going into this season.
  • Riveraggie
    . Our big advantage over TAMC is that it is the first game and Davis has a returning team of veterans. We should be sharper and more cohesive than they are. We’ve seen very good play in the first game in recent years against Tulsa and Cal. Davis has to show up ready to play as in those games.
    As you say this is a critical game. If they start out 1-2 they could easily end up out of the playoffs again, because it will be tough to make it through conference without three loses. A 6-5 Davis team isn’t going to be ranked, this year. If they lose either this game or Southern Utah, they are going to need to be 6-2 in conference.
    Who will Bob Dunning pick?
  • CA Forever
    This is true. Even at positions like RB where we lost Gilliam we return plenty of experience with Larison and Perez. I think Fisher could get carries as a freshman too.

I'm not saying this is a sure fire win or anything like that, but with the experience that this team has especially playing quality opponents, I would be pretty damn disappointed if we lose this game.
  • CA Forever
    I think one position I have questions about (and I had the same question last season) is if someone will step up at WR and be THE go to guy. We have depth, but not that Keelan Doss caliber player that can change the offense.
  • Riveraggie

iIt will be interesting how the offense looks under new OC and QB coach. They aren't making many changes but play selection might be noticeably different. Mike Cody has spent more time with the Biggs, Moroski branch of the Davis coaching tree than he has with Tim Plough/ Cody Hawkins.

Davis has the following guys who’ve been passing game coordinators or offensive coordinators: Mike Cody, Andre Allen, Kevin Burke, Taylor Chapatte, Trey Shimabukuro. I suspect they all will stay in their lane, but share some opinions, Trey Shimabukuro is listed just as an offensive assistant coach.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!