• Toke69
    I suggested this on the Hamilton Court pages after somoene mentioned all the coaching prospects under Bob WIlliams: "This reminds me of all the great football coaches who played for Jim Sochor. I don't think I should list them all here, but if someone (not me) has a comprehensive list, it would be a great post on the football discussion site." Off the top of my head I can think of Mike Bellotti, Paul Hackett, Chris Petersen, Dan Hawkins and Ken O'Brien.
  • movielover
    Gary Patterson - TCU
    Mike Moroski - College of Idaho
    Nathaniel Hackett - UCD tree
    Tim Plough - Berkeley
    Khari Jones - CFL
  • DavisAggie
    Jones, Nate Hackett, and Plough did not play or coach under Sochor
  • DrMike
    There are some lesser names like Sam Young (Modesto JC) and Jeff Ramsey (Oberlin, Case Western). Kevin Daft has made a mark at Dartmouth as an OC.
  • AggieFan81
    I think you would be surprised by the number of players/staff who were coached by or worked under coach Biggs who are making their living coaching football.

1. Mike Cody - UC Davis, OC
    2. Pat McCann - Fresno State, OC
    3. Bert Watts - Carolina Panthers, Safeties
    4. Anthony Soto - Associate Head Coach/ OC Lenor-Rhyne University
    5. Rich Scangorello
    6. Matt Wade - Fresno State, QB
    7. Dave Braun - Northwestern, DC
    8. Matt Ulrich - Eastern Washington, DL
    9. Jim Chapin - Eastern Washington, OC
    10. Jeff Copp - Eastern Washington, DC
    11. Wes Nurse - Eastern Washington, CB
    12 Eric Sanders - Eastern Washington, LB
    13. Tim Keane - Boise State, OL
    14. Tim Plough - Cal, TEs
  • DrMike
    can add Nate Hackett and Evero to that list also
  • Russ Bowlus
    Disconnect between the thread title (Sochor coaching tree) and first post (coaches that played for him). The tree has gotten quite big.
  • DrMike
    I think all but O’Brien coached here. Hawk, Pete and Bellotti were all frosh head coaches.
  • DavisAggie
    The thread was Sochor Coaching Tree
  • MTBAggie
    Add Keith Buckley to that list.
  • 69aggie
    Wasn’t there a kid named Johnson whom played for Sochor and then coached the freshman team. My memory is not good that far back. Does anyone remember the tragic case of the Aggie player who was rendered paralyzed in a freshman game? I was there and saw it. Just a hard hit that went horribly wrong. In the lawsuit Sochor had to testify in Oakland. The plaintiffs attorneys were so kindful of Sochor in their examination of him at trial that the lead attorney later said it was not Sochor’s fault for the dreadful accident. I don’t know their theory at trial but I think it was just you don’t put 18-20 year oldsagainst 20-23 year old JCs players who were bigger and probably more athletic. Bad idea.,kid won. Sochor later said it was one of the worst experiences of his career.
  • AggieFinn2
    Is a coaching tree a tree that coaches ? Maybe if Nicholson doesn't work out baseball can hire one of these trees.
  • movielover
    Never heard that one. RB Sam Paneno lost his lower leg.
  • 69aggie
    Mark Johnson! Great player and great coach. Now at American River College. My memory comes back if I take a few deep breaths and relax. Anyone have any input on that. The memory loss is of some concern too. E.
  • 72Aggie
    If we dip into high school ranks you can add Tony Franks at St. Mary's in Stockton and Dan Carmazzi at Jesuit and at Christian Brothers in Sacramento. Not sure what Franks is doing now. Carmazzi has retired. Both built HS powers in the Sac-Joaqin section.

Also in high school (though after Sochor's teams...) J.T. O'Sullivan was the head coach at Patrick Henry High School in the San Diego area for three seasons from 2019-2021.
  • DrMike
    I think that was a year or two after I played frosh but can’t recall the name. This just came up in a conversation with a couple guys
  • DrMike
    lawsuit was for a guy named Brent Goss injured in 1980 v Gavillan. I found an article in the old Aggie newspaper archives.
  • movielover
    Goss was an Aggie? Where is he today?
  • DrMike
    beats me. Didn’t play beyond that one frosh game. Article says campus settled for $1.3M. His lawyers claimed inadequate time and training on tackling prior to playing their first game. I was a frosh in 79 and can’t remember it happening back then; I think one of the team members brought it up at a recent gathering
  • Idaho Aggie
    I was watching that game and remember the play. He and another DB hit the receiver, one from the front and one from behind. I thought the receiver would be the one who didn't get up, but instead it was our guy. I met him once at a party in 1983, I think. He was in a wheelchair. He had his service dog with him, and I remember he showed me how when he entered a room, the dog would turn on the lights with its nose. He was still a student then. I don't remember the last name, but 'Brent' sounds right to me. My wife might know, as she worked as an aide for several disabled folks while she was at Davis.
  • DrMike
    I got the name from an old Aggie article detailing the lawsuit and trial.
  • 69aggie
    As I said, I was at that game and saw the play. You can tell when an injury is common and recovery is probable as to what the medical staff does. But when the injury is catastrophic as this one was (and this was the only time I have ever witnessed such an injury) it is like the air goes out of the stadium. Sirens coming, Ambulance on the field, etc. I just got up and left. I don’t even know if the game was finished as everyone was so emotionally distressed by the event. BUT the thing that later affected me the most is what effect it had on Coach Socher. He was devastated by the event. As I mentioned earlier even the plaintiffs attorney felt very sorry for Coach Socher and said so publicly. Coach was cross examined for several hours in front of a very plaintiff oriented oakland jury. How do your answer this question: “did you think you coached enough on the way to tackle another player”? If so, explain why this tragic incident happened”. Horrific day for a very great coach.
  • Riveraggie
    Another who played for Biggs Demario Warren Former Head Coach Southern Utah, now Cornerbacks / Special Teams Coach Boise State
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!