• BaseballAtDobbins
    I don't know how I missed this for two years now, but I had no idea David Popkins is the hitting coach for the Twins. Granted the Twins bats have struggled but he kind of came out of nowhere during one of the years I was at school. Loved seeing him get those clutch hits.
  • AggieFinn2
    Yeah he's been there a couple of years. It kind of shows you how times have changed in baseball. It used to be that major league coaches were prominent former major leaguers (Dusty Baker as the Giants hitting coach under manager Roger Craig for instance) .

Now with the increased role of analytics the prospective MLB coach doesn't even need a successful professional playing record; they just need to understandmodern coaching. Popkins only reached Double-A as a player, although he did ok. The Giants' current hitting coach Justin Viele barely hit in pro ball (.211 career average, only reached Single-A). They have another coach who never played in the pros and was not a star player at the D-II level. And then there's Sac State alumna Alyssa Nakken who never played college or professional baseball. I think in her case they decided that based on her work in her previous positions they wanted her on the coaching staff and tailored the position to match her skillset rather than simply hiring her to fill a specific open position.. That can happen with assistant coaching positions-manager gets free reign to hire whomever they wish.

The most recent UCD baseball news is that Robert Garcia made his major league debut with the Miami Marlins on 7/14. He retired one batter and allowed a hit and a walk. He's back in the minors.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I feel like the trend has been going the other way...or at least with managers. You used to have good managers who never played in the big leagues or maybe a game or two.Now you have all these big names who were sort of in that middle class of the big leagues if you will. I mean look at players like Aaron Boone, Mark Kotsay, Rocco Baldelli, Phil Nevin, Dave Roberts, David Bell, etc.
  • AggieFinn2
    if anything I think there are more managers who didn't play in the majors like Oliver Marmol (Cardinals) or Pedro Grifol (White Sox). than there used to be. I think there's about 6 or 7 this year. But the assistants nowadays definitely have less professional experience. Gabe Kapler, for instance has 16 assistants and I believe only 3 of them-Brian Bannister, Andrew Bailey, Antoan Richardson) -have MLB experience. Yes they have Pedro Guerrero but it's not the one who was a star for the Dodgers and Tommy Lasorda (who I don't believe played in MLB)

Speaking of the Cardinals would one of their assistant coaches be considered a Marmol-aide ?

Edit: Tommy Lasorda did play a little bit in the majors. Here's a mind f'er though. Lasorda was briefly a teammate of Jackie Robinson but he out-lived Robinson by almost 5 decades !
  • movielover
    Robinson had diabetes, which affects people differently. I saw one TV special which said he died in his early 50s because of racism ...
  • AggieFinn2
    I thought he died due to a heart attack ? If that program took a political stand they probably made the argument that he didn't have access to adequate preventitive health care because of racism. There could be some truth to that if he was discriminated against when seeking treatment but I don't know all the facts.

Lasorda must have actually been drinking the SlimFast he endorsed on TV to avoid the same fate.
  • movielover
    He apparently had a poor diet when younger, and gained 25 pounds one off season traveling through the south. Diabetes and heart disease. Two of his brothers also had diabetes.

Diabetes is far more common in the African American community.

https://diatribe.org/jackie-robinson-diabetes-and-opportunity-lost
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!