• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies host Southern Utah in their home opener on Saturday, September 16th at 7 pm.

The Thunderbirds are 0-2 to start their season having lost 2 road games to FBS teams: Arizona State 24-21 and BYU 41-16. However, they have been competitive in both loses. In the ASU game, they blocked a punt and returned it 47 yards for a TD to draw within 3 points with 7:50 to go in the game.

The loss to BYU, in front of over 60,000 fans in Provo, was much closer than the score indicates. BYU only had 46 more total yards than the Thunderbirds: 394-348. Special team breakdowns did them in including a blocked punt, a long KO return, a missed FG and a missed extra point.

The first two Aggie games have left me with more questions than answers. Although we rolled over a weak TAMC team, I didn't think we looked particularly sharp overall on offense. We had 4 TO's including 2 picks and a fumble by Hastings. Bright spots included how Lan Larison showed he has the ability to be one of the best RB's in the Big Sky and the dominate play of our defense. Overall, it was a promising win that left us with a few things to clean up and execute better.

The loss to #16 OSU was no surprise but the margin of the loss was, at least to me, surprisingly big. OSU beat us soundly in every phase of the game and, other than a couple of plays to start the game, our offense was overwhelmed by their defense and their overall team speed ran us ragged on defense. To our credit, we continued to play hard in the second half. Thankfully, the Beavers had stepped off the gas by then also and started playing a lot of their 2nd and 3rd stringers.

So a dominate win by the Aggies over a very weak team followed by an overwhelming loss against an FBS power has left a lot of questions to yet to be answered about about the Aggies. I think this game against a pretty good FCS Southern Utah team will give us more insight as to where we stand before we begin Big Sky play on September 23rd when our old nemesis Eastern Washington comes to town.
  • agalum
    Typo on the date. Its 9/16.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thanks. I corrected the date.
  • AggieFinn
    I think it's going to be a good contest on Saturday. Looking forward to watching the home opener. This is a HUGE stretch for the Ags, they've got 3 of the next 4 at home which includes the Thunderbirds, the Eagles and the Griz...all with the Horseshoe wedged in the middle down in SLO, which could be a trap game if Wulff can get the Mustangs moving with some momentum. SLO has a game with Lincoln U out of Oakland (upstart) and then they've got an away game against the Vikings. They could be 3-1 come Horseshoe.
  • Zander
    As of this comment, two different sentences on the game writeup on the Athletics website indicate that the Oregon State game was the first game of the season (one directly, the other implies it). C'mon people, you still need to proofread ChatGPT before posting it

The Aggies dropped their first contest of the 2023 campaign at nationally ranked Oregon State. Lan Larison rushed for 55 yards and Rex Connors posted 10 total tackles in his season debut.
  • BlueGoldAg
    You can tell that the players and the coaches were surprised and disappointed with how things went at OSU. I think everyone expected that we would compete better but that's water over the dam now. Gotta learn from it, move on and play better against Southern Utah.
  • CA Forever
    I don't doubt that the coaches and players expected to perform better against OSU, but at the end of the day it was a game against a ranked FBS team. It's pretty rare that even a good FCS team looks decent against a top FBS team, not to say that it can't happen.

SUU will be the first true indicator of what the Aggies can do this season. I think finally getting a home game will be big for us as SUU will be on the road for the 3rd week in a row. Hopefully we can get a clean sheet on the turnovers and get the offense back on track.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Totally agree. I think that SUU is going to be a very tough opponent considering how they held their own against both ASU and BYU.
  • DavisAggie
    It was the debut for Connors
  • NCagalum
    Conners is fun to watch. He has a natural nose for the ball and is an excellent tackler. His and Larison’s efforts stood out. Although clearly overmatched, there didn’t seem to be a lot of fire in many of the other players. I think expectations were that it would be more competitive. Depending on how they use the experience - it could be good or bad - like most things in life.
  • 69aggie
    I think that this is really where good coaching comes in. Don’t let this game get into your head. Yes, we lost big to a ranked team but we did okay. Let’s move on and put this behind us and I think Hawkins has the personality to do this. This is the very hard work of coaching an athletic team in any sport. Just come back stronger!
  • AggieFinn2
    Northern Utah is going to lose.
  • Riveraggie
    This is copied from the Southern Utah “preview”, where they mention these players.
    None of these players have the correct class listed
    #4 Rex Connors DB 6' 1" Redshirt Freshman
    #1 C.J. Hutton WR 5' 9" Sophomore
    #3 Lan Larison. RB 6' 0" Sophomore
    #18 Trent Tompkins QB 6' 0" Sophomore
  • NCagalum
    Appears to be a copy and paste from last year. Is there no such thing as a sports information director these days? Seems like there should be a proof reader (who does a little research and/or keeps up on this stuff) to make sure what is released to the public is true.
  • Riveraggie

Minor Mysteries of the Depth Chart:
    Uilsoni Amone has been listed on the depth chart for two years and according to his profile has never played. Meanwhile Suani and Toki are not listed at that position, where they have both played and in past seasons started games.
    Porter Connor is listed as a linebacker in depth chart and on roster as a DB, a change they made a few weeks back.
    Up to this point last season and this, the backup to Larison has been Matteo Perez, but they don’t list him.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Fans will be treated to a new sound system in the scoreboard and many other aesthetic improvements at the Aggie stadium.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2023/9/15/football-new-upgrades-to-come-to-light-at-season-opener.aspx
  • CA Forever
    GO AGS! BEAT THE THUNDERBIRDS!
  • AggieFinn

I'm going to let myself be surprised when I get in there!
  • Toke69
    I’m in Portland and can’t access my ESPN+ account so I’ll be following the game on the internet.
  • BlueGoldAg
    You should be able to watch the game on your ESPN+ account since you have internet. Just log into your account, scroll down and select the Big Sky Conference and the game will be there.
  • agalum

Toke, if you can log into your account on your phone or tablet, you should be able to get it on any smart tv. The sign in will ask you to go to their website, type in the provided code, and you’ll be on board.
  • Toke69
    Thanks. I’ll see what I can do but we’re staying with my daughter, son in law and our 2 week old grandson so I can’t watch the whole game.
  • movielover
    Stay safe! Go Ags.
  • SochorField
    Where is all the tailgating? Only like 15 cars lined up on “Champions Corridor”…there’s a Team Aggie tent with about 100 people.

Is there a whole other lot for tailgating I’m missing?
  • CA Forever
    What a start!
  • NCagalum
    I’m guessing a bit more pounding up the middle with Larison next series.
  • AggieFinn
    Thought he looked in, but great play by TB to start the game!
  • movielover
    Scott Marsh laughs at odd times... 4 play drive (laugh)... field goal (laugh)...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!