• Oldbanduhalum
    https://www.sacbee.com/sports/college/article282395243.html

"After seven seasons and six consecutive winning campaigns, UC Davis football coach Dan Hawkins has resigned to spend more time with family, including his grandchildren in Idaho, The Sacramento Bee has learned."

"Sources told The Bee that UC Davis is in negotiations with Tim Plough to become the 18th coach in the 108-year history of the football program, and he would be a familiar face. A tight ends coach at Cal, Plough is a one-time Aggies quarterback who had two assistant coaching stints with UC Davis, the second one under Hawkins."
  • agalum
    Holy smoke didn’t see that coming
  • AggieFinn
    I know Plough is a familiar choice, but curious if there shouldn't be a more widespread search conducted in December before the contract is negotiated.
  • AggieFinn2
    Out of respect for the resigning coach I will edit my posts in this topic to take up less space.
  • movielover
    Wow. Not a candidate at Oregon State?

And the South Davis home is likely completely remodeled.
  • AggieFinn

Sounds to me like he wants to get out of California, head back up to Idaho and just be with family near Pocatello. Maybe down the line Cody and Dan would try to reunite at Boise State. It's been a year without Cody nearby, so doesn't surprise me his priorities are to be near the grandkids.
  • CA Forever
    Wow didn't see that coming at all
  • movielover
    Maybe a proactive move by Rocko and Hawk, better 2 years early than 2 years late?

Offense really struggled this year, and who knows what will happen with the Pac 2 / Mountain West juggling. Recall in a previous football broadcast, Chancellor May said we're working on something... it seemed big. FWIW, I believe the NCAA removed the attendance requirement to go to FBS.
  • SochorField
    Welp....

He's 63, so he might actually be done. I really enjoyed his time at Davis. He did a lot for the program in a short amount of time. I mean, think about where we were when Gould left.

On the bright side, Plough probably keeps all the assistants (?) since he isn't presently a HC. Maybe these guys don't lose their jobs.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Wow...I'm shocked to tell the truth. Like everyone else, I didn't see this coming at all but I certainly understand his longing to spend more time with his family and grandchildren.

Hawk is a very wise and deeply philosophical man and he walks the talk. He fully understands what things are truly the most important priorities in life. I'm glad we had him for 6 years and wish him the best going forward on his own Hero's Journey.
  • 69aggie
    If May wanted to move us to FBS he could do it. And yes the required attendance rule is gone. Minimum scholarship requirements is 210 at a minimum of 6 million in total. 5 million buy in. Literally peanuts for May. But where to go? Who would want us? Or better yet, who would not want us
    ? I doubt Fresno State is anxious for us to join their conference. Just adds more competition for their recruiting. Very sorry to see hawk leaving, bringing in Plough who is well known and liked by the teams players might prevent many downsides from his departure.
  • movielover
    Given recruiting, budgets, competition for HCs from other schools, I'm guessing this has been in the works for weeks. MBB and FB the two top hires for an AD.
  • agalum
    Can someone post the bee article? It won’t let me in.
  • BlueGoldAg
    You really have to wonder how this will affect our current players, our recruits and our pending recruiting. I would imagine that there will be more players who may consider transferring now. Time will tell but this is going to be a time of uncertainty for a while and I think that it could have some negative impacts in the days to come before everything settles down.
  • agalum
    On the flip side maybe Plough brings some Cal recruits with him.
  • 69aggie
    He is not the wise old charismatic philosopher that Hawk is, but the few times I was exposed to Plough I thought he was very intelligent and made good impression on me. And as has been said above he actually recruited many of the current players. Is it not possible that Hawk and he have discussed this prior to the announcement?
  • SochorField
    Can't help but think all the players knew before we did. Hopefully TB is the only impact departure.
  • 88Aggie
    They could also reach out to Mike Moroski at College of Idaho. He has built their program from scratch into an annual contender for playoffs and national championship in the NAIA. He probably should have been given the job years ago instead of going with an outsider like Gould.

Maybe bring Kevin Daft back. He could be ready for a step up to head coach.
  • aggiedt60
    Dan was the right person at the right time but smh...
  • AggieFinn
    Dan leaves the program with a pretty good team, and a returning QB - who should be put in a competition in my opinion - and possibly star RB in Larison if he closes out his college career in Davis. Some other strong players on both sides of the ball. Could be worse in a HC transition year.
  • agalum

Thanks for that.
  • agalum
    Wasn’t it Plough who was behind the high tempo offense? Did he use that at Cal? And I wonder what the issue was for him at Boise?
  • movielover
    Boise took some bad losses, they needed a scalp. I believe Sochor thought highly of young Plough.
  • CA Forever
    https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2023/11/28/dan-hawkins-stepping-down-as-aggie-head-football-coach.aspx

Press release from the Aggies. Dan says he's stepping down as HC, but is staying on as an advisor role of sorts. That would be a strange thing to do if the next HC wasn't already deep into the works.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Ha, I didn't know he grew up in Fall River Mills. That is a tiny town.
  • movielover

""I was honored to carry Aggie football forward and now will hand off to another," Hawkins said. "This is not a retirement or stepping aside from being involved with Aggie Athletics. Rocko is allowing me to stay on board as a special assistant. I've got plenty of juice and life left in me to help the Aggies, and embrace any other adventures that lie ahead. I will continue to pursue my life's passion of making a positive difference in the lives of others. The journey continues!" "

Are they still going to pay him full salary?

Our press release: "Hawkins played fullback at College of the Siskiyous in Weed, Calif. (1978-80) prior to attending UC-Davis."
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    He was the right coach to get the program back on track. I wonder if Hawk had a hand in selecting his successor as this has obviously be planned for quite some time if they are already working on a contract.
  • CA Forever
    I mean, I'm sure he's no longer going to be paid HC salary, but I'm guessing he'll be paid something.
  • zythe
    I hate this
  • Riveraggie
    If they get Plough, they likely keep the assistants that are recruiting this years incoming players. Anyone from outside is risking keeping those recruits.
    I think Mike Cody did a good job with our run offense, they should retain him as the OL coach.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!