• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies head to Santa Barbara for a nationally televised game on ESPNU against the Gauchos at 8 pm Thursday. It will also be streamed on ESPN+. The Gauchos got off to a surprisingly poor start to conference play including a 76-62 loss to the Aggies back on December 28th but have turned things around and have won 5 out of their last 6 games. On the other hand, the Aggies are coming off their worst defeat in 4 years at the hands of UC San Diego 92-59. How will the Aggies respond to this disappointing loss while facing a very talented UCSB team on national television in what is certain to be fully packed and loud Thunderdome? We'll have to wait and see...

Live TV on ESPNU & live stream on ESPN+ at 8 pm. Go Ags!
  • Toke69
    Does anyone know if ESPNU varies the game regionally? Our local station in Hawai`i is showing a different game: Wright State vs. Youngstown State for all those Buckeyes who live in the Islands.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I just checked the Big West games scheduled for Thursday on ESPN+ and they show that the game will be televised nationally on ESPNU and also streamed live on ESPN+ as well. So you should be able to watch it on ESPN+. I'll add this information to my original post.
  • Toke69
    Thanks. Apparently, the local newspaper and the cable provider both had the wrong information about the game, so I will be able to see it on ESPNU, but in my cases, not in real time.
  • BlueGoldAg
    PST in California is currently 2 hours ahead of Hawaii time. So wouldn't you be able to watch the live stream on ESPN+ at 6 pm Hawaii time?
  • Toke69
    Yes, but I long ago promised my wife that I would not watch sports during our dinner times, which is 6:30.
  • agalum
    26-21 Ags 10 left in first.
  • agalum
    37-31 Ags 3 left in first
  • agalum
    46-37 Ags at the half
    Pepper has 17, Milling having a good game at 10. TY with 3 fouls.
  • agalum
    72-64 Ags, 5 to go
  • Toke69
    I thought we missed a lot of opportunities to go ahead by a lot more than 12 in the first half.
  • Toke69
    It's amazing how much one can shorten a recorded game by fast forwarding through the time outs and halftime. I was able to see the end of the game in real time. Whew! Great bounce-back win by the Aggies over a tough Gaucho team. They did have a bit of luck with both Pierre-Louis and Traore being forced out with injuries and Mitchell getting into foul trouble but, hey, we'll take it.
  • agalum
    And the Ags win it 79-69!
  • BlueGoldAg
    I just realized I was posting about the game in the wrong thread. I'm gettin' old... :rofl:

Great defense by the Ags when they needed it . They forced 16 TO's which included 10 steals. It was a very physical game and the Ags hung in there when the Gauchos kept making runs.

The Aggies won the battle of the boards 31-25 and that included 9 offensive boards. Pepper and Johnson both had 24, Milling 10 and Rocak had 10 to go along with several blocks which was huge since the Ags were playing without Adebayo. Tamba stepped in for Ade and did a really good job. Great team win!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Rocak continues to impress. The block on a Mitchell drive down the stretch was key.
  • DrMike
    Pepper REALLY struggled on offense in the second half BUT he made several key defense plays especially in the second half.

That double T played a big role. Mitchell was unstoppable (TY didn’t guard him due to his fouls) before he had to came out after his fourth. Wasn’t the same player after that. That was a BS call - it looked like both players were trash talking with a smile. I think ref overreacted because they had let the game get out of hand in the stretch before that.
  • agalum
    Yeah, that Gaucho chest bumped TY and all i saw TY do was smile.
    Funny, the Gauchos were bitching about our time keeper when they played us at home. How many times did the refs have to stop play last night to reset the clock?
  • DrMike
    I was talking about the double technical they whistled after the last 1st timeout on Mitchell and Leo. The was Leo’s 3rd, Mitchell’s 2nd but he picked up 2 fairly early in the 2nd half. He single-handedly got them back in the game, but had to change his game after the fourth. Also TY didn’t get any more so he could get aggressive later in the game.

Both guys were jawing but it didn’t look to be aggressive - both had a smile. I think the ref from behind overreacted. Helped us!

Don’t want to play them again in the tournament
  • abridge
    Pepper, even when he's not scoring, makes a huge difference for the Ags. He's there in the rebounding, in defense with incredibly busy hands. I keep remembering the take on Oscar Robertson - that he beats you away from the ball by being smart on the court.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I agree that the double T was bunk. There was nothing egregious by either DeBruhl or Mitchell...just some smirking gamesmanship...nothing angry or aggressive by either. The ref overreacted. The officiating crew allowed the game to be physical but it didn't seem to me to be getting out of hand by any means. Just good, tough basketball.

Leo is an emotional player and he plays with his hair of fire. You gotta love that he gives you 100% every second he's on the floor. That said, I think his emotions get the better of him at times. He's been talking to the refs a lot lately when he feels that they missed a call involving him and he can get discouraged with himself when his shots aren't dropping. Nevertheless, he's become a very good 6th man for us.

I thought the T on Rocak for taunting was questionable as well. He had just forced Pierre-Louis into a missed layup and grabbed an aggressive rebound as Pierre-Louis hit the floor. Rocak look down at him while he had the ball but it certainly didn't look like he was taunting at all. We were up 17 at the time and we had a chance to stretch the lead even further but the T stopped our momentum and the Gauchos started chipping away at the lead.

I feel like TY has really matured a lot over last season. Last year, his emotions got the best of him too often. This season, he's been letting things slide and playing on rather that getting confrontational and he's really settled into being an outstanding all around player. He often sparks the team offensively when we need an boost and his defense is tremendous.
  • Toke69
    Pepper scores 24 point, grabs 7 rebounds, dishes out 6 assists and makes 4 steals and it seems like he had a bad day. Why? I think it was because he missed 12 shots, 7 from 3, which is unlike him. Had he made two more 3s the Ags would have won by 16. I think I would take that any day. The man makes plays and as abridge wrote, he's smart on the court.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Eli has a incredible motor. Teams are hounding him with their best defenders and he's fighting to get through double and triple teaming defenders at times. Away from the ball, he's in constant motion working hard to get open and in rhythm for a shot. He forced up some awkward shots in the second half that didn't fall but he was still playing great defense, getting key rebounds and dishing out beautiful assists.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Huge 3 pointer by TY...HUGE!

• Toke69
    Not just huge but from NBA range!
  • BlueGoldAg
    FROM HEAD COACH JOE PASTERNACK

"I thought we struggled defensively in the first half. The main thing is our turnovers; we have a problem with them and had 16 in the game. When we played them last time at their place, we also had 16 turnovers. Credit to them, Davis did a great job and they are a really good team. But we had 10 turnovers in the first half, and that really destroyed us. I thought we played them even in the second half, but unfortunately, this is a two-half game. You have to defend for a full 40 minutes and take care of the ball and rebound."

https://ucsbgauchos.com/news/2024/2/2/mens-basketball-gauchos-rally-falls-short-against-uc-davis.aspx
  • BlueGoldAg
    Despite not shooting the ball at his usual proficiency level, Eli Pepper was named the Big West Player of the Week. He's such a great all-around player that, even when his shots aren't falling at a high percentage, he's contributing with rebounds, assists, steals and tough defense.

DAVIS, Calif. — UC Davis senior guard Elijah Pepper has been announced the Big West Men's Basketball Player of the Week for his efforts during the week of Jan. 29 - Feb. 4, the conference office announced on Monday.

The Big West's leading scorer, Pepper averaged 20.0 points, 7.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 3.0 steals per game en route to another 2-0 week for the Aggies.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2024/2/5/mens-basketball-pepper-named-big-west-player-of-the-week.aspx
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!