• BlueGoldAg
    The road to the #2 seed in the Big West Tournament or even a top 4 seed got a whole lot more difficult for the Aggies after they lost to Long Beach and Riverside at home last week. Now they find themselves with a daunting schedule that has them on the road for 4 of their last 5 games. Irvine continues to be in the driver's seat for the #1 seed and, with San Diego ineligible for the tournament, the Ags are now in a dogfight with 6 teams in the middle of the pack for a top 4 seed. Needless to say, every game is critical now.

The Aggies beat CSUN 95-75 back on January 11th but the Ags and the Matadors have been going in opposite directions recently. CSUN has improved immensely since our first game with them and they have won 4 out their last 5 conference games whereas the Ags have lost 3 straight. Les has said that the team has been beating themselves lately with too many defensive breakdowns and missed opportunities on offense. Hopefully, the Ags will have things sorted out by tipoff at 7 pm tomorrow night.

Live stream on ESPN+ at 7 pm. Go Ags¡

Current standings:

0sdnh0j0iy3quo3q.png
  • DrMike
    Oddsmakers have us as 1 1/2 favorites. He shoot really well last time vs CSUN and need to replicate that, especially early - can’t dig another double digit hole.

went back to the box score for the first meeting. this was the game we had 3 20-point scorers (Milling-27, Pepper/Johnson-20). Shot 15-34 from 3! We really need production tonight from MIlling, Adebayo and DeBruhl.
  • abridge
    It'll be a challenge for the Ags to shake off this rough patch and find a way to win.

The Ags can clinch a tournament berth with a win tonight at CSUN OR a CSU Fullerton loss OR a CSU Bakersfield loss. (thanks to Gouchdan over on the tapatalk big west boards for providing that information.
  • Toke69
    It's distressing that so many teams in the Big West are hitting their stride as the playoffs approach, while UC Davis has badly stumbled. I'm hoping that we see things turn around tonight.
  • DrMike
    Up 19-17 with 6 to go in half. No points from Pepper. Defense is good so far. Northridge just tries to out athletic us going to the hoop. Broadcast quality is bad for me
  • Toke69
    We're lucky that CSUN is only 5 of 11 from the foul line, but their number 0 is killing us having scored almost half their points on a lot of shots in the paint. Meanwhile Pepper is 0 for 6 despite a couple of good looks. Rocak, too, seems off his game.
  • DrMike
    Down 29-26 at half. Looks not so good to close the half. No points from Pepper. Guys look a bit worn down
  • BlueGoldAg
    Offense is out of sync. CSUN scored 22 of their 29 points in the paint. We are unable to stop their dribble penetration. It's not looking good at all.
  • Toke69
    Whoever is directing the broadcast is pretty clueless, showing replays over live action and cameras on the sidelines when a play is going on. Maybe some media production major at CSUN?
  • DrMike
    My ESPN feed is terrible tonight. Add to that the horrible camera work (why focus on the coach got 5 seconds while the ball is in play) and it’s almost unwatchable
  • DrMike
    Well…. Not so sure we deserved that one but take it! TY comes up huge
  • Toke69
    We certainly did not deserve it, but not only do we have TY to thank but the Matadors missed two shots at the very end, of which the last was a missed tip in, so we got lucky. With the exception of Bostick CSUN does not seem very talented, so I think the Ags earlier crushing of them was more illustrative of the difference in quality between the two teams. In other words, the guys still seem to be in a funk and if not for TY would have dropped their fourth in a row. Maybe they'll find their mojo in Bakersfield. (By the way, anyone know why CSUN is called the Matadors?)
  • BlueGoldAg
    66-65 Aggies win. Give the game ball to TY and DeBruhl. Our FT defense was great too! The Matadors were only 16-29 from the line.

Who would have thought that we could still win with Pepper in a shooting slump? He only had 4 points tonight on 1-10 shooting. So he only has 13 points total in his last 2 games. He's contributing on defense and assists but we really need him to get back rolling on offense.
  • agalum
    Yes, winning with Pepper not getting his shots to drop gives credit to the rest of the guys. 14 for Leo and 11 for Milling. TY remains Mr. Clutch. But most importantly this game breaks a huge 3 game loosing streak. We were driving up to our remote cabin last night and couldn’t tune in to the game until late into the first half.
    The announcer kept referring to Milling as “the freshman.” Finally I asked my wife why they were calling him a freshman? She laughed and said he’s saying “Frenchman” not “freshman,” lol.
  • DrMike
    I heard Freshman also! Not the cream of the crop broadcasting team. And the visuals were horrible. They showed their coach standing while the play was going on, as well as showing replays during play. Bad camera angles. Not good.

One thing to note about Pepper - he had SEVEN steals last night. That’s an incredible feat. And he’s the reason Leo was so wide open on his threes.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The announcer kept referring to Milling as “the freshman.” Finally I asked my wife why they were calling him a freshman? She laughed and said he’s saying “Frenchman” not “freshman,” lol.agalum

I heard Freshman also!DrMike

:rofl:
  • BlueGoldAg
    One thing to note about Pepper - he had SEVEN steals last night. That’s an incredible feat. And he’s the reason Leo was so wide open on his threes.DrMike

His ability to be an impact player with his hustle, movement away from the ball and defense even when his shots aren't dropping is what makes him a very special player. He puts his teammates and winning ahead of his own numbers.
  • Toke69
    Pepper made one incredible defensive play after he missed a baseline shot and ran all the way down to chase down a Matador who had a layup and was able to make a clean block. That got the broadcasters' attention.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!