• movielover
    Should true Freshman Tehran Thomas get more PT / reps at running back? Our running game has ground to a halt. Part of the issue could be line play and play calling. This is no slight to our current backs who are doing their best.

We have backs tripped up by a hand in the backfield, taken down with an arm tackle, and our fly sweep is sometimes blown up. We are #87 in rushing offense at 3.27 yards per carry in the FCS. (Our red zone offense apparently needs work, as we are #83 there, if I am reading my phone correct.) Strong rushing teams are over 5 yards a carry.

Thomas is averaging 6.8 yards a carry. He had 48 yards on just 3 carries vs NAU, then didn't play in last night's run game disaster. At NAU he was running over people and extending plays?

We had a similiar case w Aaron Moore who saw no PT for 2 games, and then exploded last night. AST has been asking where he was. ... Unless injuries are an issue.
    1. Should Tehran Thomas get more PT at running back? (13 votes)
        Yes
        46%
        Coaches Choice
        54%
        Stay with our current rotation
          0%
        Punt
          0%
        No
          0%
        We need to do something big
          0%
        Insert Leota in the backfield 4 power set
          0%
  • CA Forever
    I don't see why we shouldn't try something different. Williams and Modise aren't getting done consistently enough.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Could Thomas have been banged up for the game?
  • agalum
    At the signing celebration at El Macero, Hawk said something like (paraphrasing) “we are going to pass, then we are going to go in motion and pass, then we will pass again.” He went on to explain that we didnt have the size up front to have an effective running game and it would take time to develop (recruit?) the kids we need to compete in the league with a running game. With that said, all we need is a good walk-on to turn that around :).
  • movielover
    Rushing Stats vs SLO

Rushing Yards - 21
    Av per Carry = 1.2
    Rushing 1st Downs - 1

These have to challenge for all-time lows. And Thomas was running over and through multiple tackles at NAU.

I LOVE passing ... but you have to keep them honest.

Have we run one draw this year? A bootleg? How about hiking it to the RB?
  • Zander
    Pretty sure I've seen a draw or two. And it looks like they're only going to do direct snaps to Spencer, which they might as well due to the passing threat.

I voted "Coaches Choice" because TT still has a pretty small sample size. We don't get to see practices and don't know if he has fumble issues or something when he has more opportunities.
  • Kerberos
    Our run game is abysmal, and is the main reason why our red zone offense is so terrible. That dropped pass by CP on 4th down saved us from a loss -- field goal would have tied it and OT basically comes down to whose red zone offense is better. CP was running through our d line all night long and would have found the end zone after 3 plays.
  • Riveraggie
    There is a need for what TT can offer. Hopefully he'll get a chance. He is more of a fullback type, so maybe he lacks sufficient speed to be the primary RB.
  • movielover
    Nothing to lose.

We have at least one back with speed who gets tripped up by arm tackles. I recall Thomas running over tacklers, stumbling, and still gaining over 10 yards. FYI, he played (running) QB in high school.

At the end of the NAU game, AST. "NCagalum
    Might have found a running back" - after 2 big runs by Thomas, one for 25 yards.
  • Riveraggie
    He seems to be quite an athlete, so the coaches should find a way to use him. Don't know what's the story is this last week. Hopefully all is well with him and he is adjusting to college life. I hope he has a long and successful career with us.
  • movielover
    Injuries on the O line could be an issue, mums the word.

After 21 yards rushing, I hope they look at all options. Could CJ get a few legit reps at tailback (not redzone)? Some new plays / gadget plays to keep the defense honest? Carries for FB Hicks? Try Erron Duncan? ... We lost two great RBs, but we need an answer or life will become tougher.

GREAT NEWS is that I believe Aaron Moore proved himself as a legit playmaker with both catching abilities and speed / moves. Maier said postgame he made an effort to find him. Great compliment to Doss.
  • Goags20172
    He should get More playing time AND Less playing time !
  • Riveraggie
    But not Moore’s playing time
  • DrMike
    maybe someone should send in a question via Facebook during the coach's show tonight. i doubt they would address an individual player, but who knows.
  • movielover
    Marsh asks for questions, then doesn't ask them.
  • movielover
    Nice game Tehran! Go Aggies.
  • movielover
    If not for the illegal block, we might have seen the best rushing performace in one half by Thomas. 215 yards in one half.
  • CA Forever
    Our run game vs Sac was an anomaly with regards to the season as a whole. That being said, I think Tehran makes a push for the starting job next season. He had less than half the snaps that Modise got, but was only 60 total rushing yards behind him in the stats (in terms of net rushing yards he was only 40 behind). Tough to ignore 7.6 yards per carry. I think the biggest issue on the offense however is the line. Too many times this season plays were blown up behind the line of scrimmage.
  • movielover
    Huh?

Rushing Yards vs Sac

Tehran+ 216 16.6 APC
    Tehran 126 -- 10.1 APC
    Modise 89 ---- 9.9 APC
    Williams 86 -- 6.6 APC

+ includes 90 yard run
  • CA Forever
    I meant the season as a whole, Sac was an outlier. Our rushing was not very good this season. Those numbers were in reference to the cumulative season statistics. Also as nice as it would be to count the 90 yard run, you can't do that lol. Individual game statistics don't mean a lot to me, you have to look at the trend over the whole season.
  • Riveraggie
    notice that everyone had a good game rushing. I think it’s like scoring a lot during basketball garbage time.
    But in any case Tehran is our most dangerous runner. He will likely get more carries than anyone next year. I don’t know why he was so turned around and falling sideways on his last carry that came up short (or had a bad spot).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!