• CA Forever
    Good win Aggies!
  • movielover
    Allen Fleming had a tryout with the 49ers.... For a skill player, Eason was faster but not overall as athletic or strong.

Doss has superior size and athletic ability, though I never saw Calvin Ellison play. Mo loved him.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Solid play on both sides of the ball for the Aggies in this one. I think the Ags will be sky high for SUU next week. Wish I could be there but it looks like I'll be watching Kanab, Utah, or somewhere nearby.
  • NCagalum
    I remember Calvin Ellison Mo’s go to guy. Nowhere the physicality of Doss though. Doss can high point the ball. I think Ellison had to stand on top toes to be 5”9”.
  • agalum
    Calvin had tremendous speed, at least in Dll
  • Kerberos
    I started following Aggie football only as of 2006, so Chris Carter / Bakari Grant are the WRs that stick out in my mind. How do they stack up against these other Aggie greats?
  • CA Forever
    I'll always remember Grant for that hail mary catch
  • agalum
    same here. That was a really exciting game. Stands emptied out to the field. Aggie Pack was strong.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    That game was wonderful. My first as a student. A co-worker of mine whom I met years later in Oregon had also attended that game too as a Dixon HS student.
  • movielover
    Ags 5-4. If only EWU turned out differently ...
  • zythe
    I know, but we have so much to look forward to now!
  • SloStang
    Nice win by the Aggies. Way to make a statement.
  • CA Forever
    Thanks Stang, still doesn't feel 100% great considering they lost their starting QB part way through the game but I'm not going to complain about a win. I think you guys can handle PSU 2nd half.
  • 72Aggie
    Good day to be an Aggie and from Iowa.
  • movielover
    Dunning article up at the Davis Enterprise.

Their QB had a concussion ... HC said they expect to score 30 a game, but didn't today ...
  • DrMike
    Chris Carter was awfully good but Doss does so many things well. And he has size.

I thought we’d win but not with this score. We weren’t that sharp but bengals really helped with bad penalties and that first half turnover. Once it was three scores it seemed safe. When they went to backup QB it was over. Did he walk out in solidarity for kicker? Their announcers didn’t have much insight. A sweep is NOT a fly sweep. We haven’t used a snap count all year. Study. Makes you appreciate marsh and kelly’s preparation for our opponents
  • aggie6thman
    BIG game next week against SUU. Plus it is the return of former Aggie Demario Warren...
  • movielover
    And 1982 celebration.

Dr. Mike, QB went out w a concussion. (DEnt, Dunning.)
  • AggieHex08
    The best receiver from that era was Tony Kays. Total stud when we arguably had some of our more competitive teams in the transition to I-AA. He made the catch to set up the game winner at Stanford.

He also had 93 receptions his junior year setting the school record and would have been the most in I-AA if we were eligible. Sounds like Doss is on his way to breaking the Kays records. Grant had a connection to Kays and seems like we are seeing that again with Maier and Doss.

zx6wbkkwywebbqdr.jpg
  • CA Forever
    Kays had magnets for hands. All the QB had to do was throw the ball in the general area of Kays and it was as good as caught.
  • DrMike
    Kay’s was very good. He was unstoppable on that deep cross which opened up the run game. Tough receiver with great hands. Doss is faster and makes unreal athletic catches. I tend to think of the current era as Aggie Stadium so Tony was just prior. Charlie Enos was fun to watch as was Michael Olivia.
  • movielover
    Randy Williams, Hemmingsen, and Mandeville were studs.

At this pace, Doss and Moore are a dynamic pair.
  • CA Forever
    Doss only needs 3 receptions and 133 yards to break the individual records for a single season. With 2 games to go, Maier is already on the top 10 board for most passing yards in a season. He only needs 1 more passing TD to be on the top 10 board for that category as well. We have had the pleasure of watching one of the most dynamic passing offenses in UCD history this season and we have a rich history as a passing school.
  • movielover
    Maier has targets that O'Brien didn't have?

Hats off to former WR coach Pat McCann for recruiting some absolute studs.

Maier had at least 3 throws yesterday that were 40-50 yards.
  • CA Forever
    O'Brien was before my time so I can't say for sure. I'm just looking at the numbers and we are seeing something special passing wise this season. If Jake had 2 absolutely monster passing days to close out the season he could potentially break the all time single season passing record set by O'Sullivan. Jake would need just around 400 yards in each of the last 2 games. Coming in 2nd all time is a real possibility though.
  • movielover
    O'Brien had Allen Fleming, an excellent DII WR, but not dominant. Smart, athletic, fast.

A dominant DII WR was Stacy Robinson, who we faced vs North Dakota one year. Big time speed, drafted in the 2nd round, won 2 Super Bowl rings.

And we have Montgomery, Harrell, Crawford, Gilbert and others in the mix. B. Lee reportedly has great speed, but we're so deep he may not have seen PT.

I am now REALLY LOOKING FORWARD to Stanford next year!
  • agalum
    Just wait to see what the Maier-Doss combo does next year.
  • movielover
    Maier-Doss-Preece-Montgomery-Moore combo!

Our WR make our DBs better, and visa versa.
  • agalum

True. Just stay healthy!
  • SochorField
    Maier is really special. I don't think I've seen a release as quick as his. The way he can "flick" the ball deep under pressure is amazing. He not a big guy, but man, he's got a big arm- and very accurate. So thankful he's not 6'2" or he wouldn't be with us.
    He reminds me a little of Aaron Rodgers (who coincidentally is 6'2")
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!