• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies will face their toughest test to date when they travel to Moraga tomorrow for a 1 pm battle with St Mary's. The Gaels are coming off a 74-63 loss at Utah and their only other loss was in their season opener at Cal 87-80. Between those two loses they reeled off 5 straight wis: 81-75 over Washington State, 82-64 over Cal Poly, 71-63 over Indiana, 89-59 over UCSB and 74-72 over Boise State. The Aggies beat WSU 91-76 by comparison. The Gaels are ranked #12 in the most recent mid-major poll and the Aggies are ranked #8.

Like the men's team, the Gaels recruit heavily from down under and are led in scoring by 6'3 Jr F Megan McKay from Australia at 16.7 ppg and 6'0 Sr G Stella Beck from New Zealand at 15.7 ppg. 6'1 Jr F Sydney Raggio chips in 15.0 ppg also.

As a team St Mary's is averaging 79.2 ppg while shooting 48% overall and 39% from 3. They are out rebounding their opponents by an average of 8 boards per gam. One area of vulnerability for them is that they are averaging 18.4 turnovers per game.

The Aggies will need to continue to play with the steadiness and poise that they have exhibited all season long. They will also need to block out well on the defensive boards and limit the Gaels second chance points. The Aggies bench is deep and Marly Anderson, Nina Bessolo and Cierra Hall have been playing well lately and the Aggies will need their help.

This should be a really good game between two good teams who have developed a nice rivalry.

Live online stream from the West Coast Conference:

http://www.wccsports.com/gamecenter/w-baskbl/gc-120917-stma.html

Go Ags!
  • eastbayaggie
    UCD up 14-13 after one quarter.
  • eastbayaggie
    Ags up 21-13. Lots of traveling violations and St. Mary's are in a cold shooting spell.
  • eastbayaggie
    Ags up 29-19 at the half. St.Mary's never made a three pointer. I think they attempted once or twice. Ags made some nice blocks defensively. St. Mary's should lead in offensive rebounds, but it's also due to their many missed shots. It's nice to see Dr. Blue in the stands.

Judging by both team's stats, this is a very low scoring game.
  • eastbayaggie
    Ags up 40-23 forcing St. Mary's to take a time out. Nice run!
  • eastbayaggie
    I guess I'm talking to myself. 50-29 after three quarters. I can't see how the Ags can lose this game. *knock on wood*
  • Zander
    Thanks for the updates! This is how I'm keeping track of the game because I can't watch the steam and don't trust Google's scoreboard
  • eastbayaggie
    58-35. Game looks a little sloppy for the Gaels especially when they tried the full court press. The most exciting part is when St. Mary's coach got called a technical for yelling at the refs for not calling fouls. Ags are in cruise control.
  • eastbayaggie
    Game over. 74-50. So many fast break easy layups for the Ags because the Ags knew how to beat the full court press. It made the game more exciting to watch.
  • CA Forever
    9-0! Way to go Aggies!
  • Russ Bowlus
    Been following along in the stat ticker...a nice efficient game.
  • PortlandAggie
    EBA - Thanks for the updates!

Go Ags!
  • Russ Bowlus
    Three point shooting back on track.
  • DrMike
    Very impressive win for the ladies
  • BlueGoldAg
    Awesome performance by the Aggies! I’m at the men’s game so thanks for the updates eba. Central Florida and Oregon State up next for these high flying Aggies!
  • Russ Bowlus
    Where you sitting, BGA? We're in 222.
  • eastbayaggie
    I'm looking ahead and figuring out if it's possible for the Ags to have an undefeated season. The next three games against UCF, Oregon State, and Yale are going to be tough - especially the Oregon State game where the Ags should be the underdogs. If they miraculously beat Oregon State, then I think an undefeated season is a small possibility.

Okay. I'll stop counting my chickens now.
  • BlueGoldAg
    just saw your post. My wife and I have season tickets in 211.
  • BlueGoldAg
    This was an outstanding performance by the Aggies. Their defense forced 22 turnovers and they held the Gaels to 38% shooting overall and only 13% from 3. At the other end of the floor the Ags shot 57% overall and 47% from beyond the arc plus 80% from the line. The 50 points by St Mary's was their lowest point total for a game in over 4 years. The two stat lines that do not look good for the Aggies are the 15 offensive boards by the Gaels and 18 turnovers by the Aggies.

The Aggies especially need to work on their rebounding on the defensive boards though as the Gaels got 15 offensive boards and that't a big number. Jen Gross will need to work with her team to find ways to do a better job of blocking out on the defensive boards. Central Florida and Oregon State, up next for the Ags, both have good size and athleticism and giving up a lot of offensive boards could spell trouble for the Ags.

The Aggies made a statement today. Great job Ags!
  • 69aggie
    I really wanted to see this game but could not. The two best ranked terms on the coast! Apparently it was not close. What i see not reported or commented on is that the Aggies actually do better on the road than at home. And than speaks a lot about the teams coaching and aggressive attitude on the road. That said, i hope the bee does no stories on our great woman Aggies. No jinxes
  • aggie08
    Wow. Unfortunately had to miss this game. Major props to the ladies on this very impressive showing
  • 69aggie
    Great story in the DE about watching the Eaton twins play together at St Marys. Appaently, they actually smile during games and especially when together. I love that! Great fast break together as well. Also, it seems we have 4 scholarships to give for next year and we have only announced 2. I wonder what coach Gross has on her mind to fill those spots? She certainly knows Canada; could she be reaching out internationally?
  • movielover
    Hopefully, a great season attracts more high calibre players.
  • 69aggie
    Hopefully, yes. We do have a great prospect over here in Lauren walker 6’-5” P from Cardinal Newman HS. Ranked 37th in the country. Maybe Morgan can give her a call?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Lauren Walker is currently playing in her first year with the Portland Pilots. I'm sure Jen Gross knew about her since she recruited Morgan Bertsch out of Santa Rosa a couple of years ago.

http://www.portlandpilots.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4908

Gross brought in a Sage Stobbart out of Vancouver, BC, and she's redshirting this year. She was ranked as the #13 post player by ESPN. We may see some twin towers offense next year by the Ags when Bertsch and Stobbart are on the floor together.
  • 69aggie
    Ok. Missed that one.
  • PortlandAggie
    And we have a transfer sitting out a year?

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/062617aaa.html

June 26, 2017
    DAVIS, Calif. -- UC Davis head women's basketball coach Jennifer Gross announced Monday that Utah State guard Katie Toole has signed a grant-in-aid agreement to continue her academic and athletic career with the Aggies.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!