• Goags20172
    Baseball news in December...wow !

Well, a disappointment for anyone hoping for a coaching change. I like it for reasons of nostalgia- he's been a coach on this team since even before I started coming to games late last century. As you get older it's comforting to see some things stay the same amid a bunch of changes (50's diners, even though I wasn't alive then + can't drink milkshakes anymore). He's been very kind and helpful anytime I've had questions and has done a good job with developing pitchers. There have been some guys over the years who've gone far despite not having great stuff.

I'm more convinced than I was a couple years ago that a coaching change would not result in a big change to the win- loss record. We only have 2 past coaches to compare him to. Phil Swimley had winning seasons, but we'll likely never know what he would have done in D1. We remember the 2008 post- season team, but Rex Peters only had 3 winning seasons (2 of them in D2). It's a matter of recognizing the talents of the players and knowing how best to employ them.

So I say congratulations to Coach Vaughn. May you get more than 10 conference wins in 2018 so I look smart and the UCD doubters have to eat some crow !
  • Goags20172
    Just for fun I sat down the other day and figured out how many games I've attended: (that actually counted): 180. That's about 9 per season. Seems like a lot but I've seen well over 200 River Cats games since 2001. Of course it's much easier to attend that many when a team plays 72 home games a year.

The Aggies are 111- 69 in those games, 105- 60 at Dobbins Stadium. I have seen them play Sac State 27 times. The Hornets hold a 14- 13 lead. Wow, fifteen percent of the games were against the same opponent !

Then I broke it down by coaches:

Phil Swimley: 65- 29
    Rex Peters: 20- 11
    Matt Vaughn 26- 29 (24- 26 at Dobbins)

The Vaughn win- loss record surprised me because it's a lot better than his overall record, especially the home winning percentage.

Seems I need to attend more games. I've earmarked 12 dates this year. We'll see.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!