• Riveraggie
    They have had Carson Crawford throw some passes including that key one against Montana. Tompkins video shows he can make some passes on the run so he might be good on those half back pass type of plays.
    At QB he’ll have to compete with similar size Gunnor Faulk and Hunter Rodriquez among others
  • movielover
    Facey is a RB.

TT played AB in HS, and hd continues an impressive ypc.
  • Riveraggie
    oh, meant Gunnor Faulk, corrected post
  • AggieFinn
    Tompkins definitely has more scramble ability than JM.
  • CA Forever
    Definitely. I think it is very likely Jake is still the starter for next season, but looking at Tompkins and his skill set he very well could be a 4 year starter after Jake is done. That being said, you never quite know when a player's skill set will carry over to the next level. He looks like an incredible talent for this team though.
  • AggieFinn

He's not 6'3" and he doesn't have a rocket arm...all accuracy and mobility, nothing wrong with those tools
  • zythe
    Jake is the mayor of shredville. Talk of anyone replacing him next season is blasphemous.
  • CA Forever
    Always compete. Jake will have to earn it just like any other player (I wholeheartedly believe he will be the starter though)
  • CK2
    Jake Maier would have to break his leg preseason to not be the starter next year. He’ll start and be a preseason All American.
  • movielover
    Competition is great, but we have the Maier of Shredville, Big Sky Offensive POY, and his / our team only lost one FCS game this year in brutal conditions.

Remember when transfer QB Jimmy Laughrea was being compared to Ken O'Brien?
  • CA Forever
    I don't specifically remember Laughrea being compared to O'Brien. I remember people being excited about getting a transfer from a strong FBS school. I think you all are misunderstanding what I am saying in regards to Tompkins. I'm just saying that he has a strong skill set and I personally believe will be a great asset to the Aggies in the future. And Hawkins will be the first person to tell you that no one just deserves a starting spot, that goes for any position on the roster not just QB.
  • movielover
    KHTK's Scott Marsh asked Sochor to compare Laughrea to Kenny O on the radio.
  • CA Forever
    Well that was one man's opinion I suppose. I remember being excited and from what remember he had the skill, but 0 motivation or drive to back it up.
  • 69aggie
    I say don’t rush him. His record is very impressive, but the move from HS to DI football is a big leap for any Athlete not to mention the academic stress of UC Davis. RS him next year and then let him go against our current guys next in line; which are actually very impressive themselves. I only saw a bit of the Hunter kid- wow! He’s a great one too.
  • CA Forever
    Kids these days are coming out of high school more and more ready to compete. One example, QB Brock Purdy who the Aggies had an offer out on last year. He ended up picking FBS Iowa State, won the starting job as a freshman, and got the Cyclones and overall record of 8-4.
  • movielover
    He supposedly had a rocket arm, but came unglued on the sidelines and his twitter seemed to reveal a strong urge to party hard. Glad to read he is doing well in semi pro ball.

Hunter Rodriquez can move!
  • CA Forever
    Also with the Tompkins commitment that make four 3 star athletes committed. Stars honestly don't mean a whole lot in terms of predicted success until you get up to guys with 4 and 5 stars, but it still means that we are landing higher profile athletes than we were previously. I think we will get some more commitments from 3 star athletes before this is all said and done. Looks like a very promising class so far, just need them to sign on the dotted line on the 19th.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Clovis West is a powerhouse. If you can do well there, you're probably pretty good.
  • Riveraggie
    We’re well stocked with smallish QBs who have put up great numbers in high school. Our other QB commit put up over 3000 yards in his first year after transferring schools as a junior, but missed three games after injury this year. Two approx 6ft mobile QBs added in last year’s recruiting class, So that’s four mobile slingers.
    So let those guys compete and see who rises to the top
  • eastbayaggie
    Out of curiosity, when does QB height actually become a factor? 6' 2"? 6' 0"? 5' 10"? 5' 8"?
    I presume that eventually it will be increasingly difficult to look over 6'4" or 6'6" offensive linemen.
  • Riveraggie

There have been so many successful 6’ QBs that it’s hard to believe it’s much of a disability.

Eastern Washington’s QB is 6’ for example, as is Jake Maier
  • movielover
    But there is probably some rough (higher) success rate. Take our true freshman OL starter Jake Parks, 3 stars. Or the WR / TE stud we inked from Walnut Creek, it looks like he will compete for playing time now, esp with Doss graduated.
  • Riveraggie
    But we probably have had three stars who don’t contribute much.
  • zythe
    Wasn’t JJ Watt a 2 star athlete at some point?
  • movielover
    Dec 19th, early signing date.
  • AggieFinn

He was bagging groceries as a TE at a nearby school (Central Michigan I believe) and was sort of quitting the team and didn't want to play TE (success wasn't coming, wasn't getting targets) JJ then walked on at Wisconsin, and they moved him to DE almost immediately...very specific instructions early to "seek and destroy".
  • zythe
    So what you are saying is... we need to start looking at the Nugget and Safeway :joke:
  • AggieFinn

Yes, sign up all 6'6" 260 lb. baggers immediately.
  • movielover
    Recent 3 star signees.

Logan Montgomery, WR, started as a true frosh.
    Kristen Gilbert, WR, unknown.

Cade Peacock, DE, pressed into service bc of injuries.
    Jake Parks, OL, starting.
    Lance Babb, WR, redshirting?
  • Riveraggie

2016 Khris Vaughn WR Pretty good when healthy but not doing much statistically lately
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!