• movielover
    From Stanford Athletics FAQs.

"Stanford traditions
    "Why is Stanford’s nickname the Cardinal?
    One of the first things admitted students learn about Stanford is that the team name is the singular Cardinal, not Cardinals, and that it refers to the color, not the bird. The short answer for “why?” is that the 1972 trustees and president decided that would be the team’s nickname."

"For many years, the teams had gone by the nickname “Indians.” In 1972, North American indigenous people, particularly those in the San Francisco Bay Area, were protesting their treatment by the majority culture. Some, but not all of these indigenous people felt that that nicknaming athletic teams “Indians” was demeaning. One such person led a successful campaign to remove the “Indian” as Stanford’s mascot. It should be noted that this graduate student received his undergraduate degree from the University of California at Berkeley."

"After the trustees agreed to change the athletic moniker, the student body held an election to decide on a new name. The name that won was “Robber Barons”; however, then president Donald Kennedy said he felt that name was disrespectful to the University’s founder, railroad magnate Leland Stanford. Other names that garnered votes in the election included Sequoias and Thunderchickens."

"Kennedy discovered an old Stanford Daily article that referred to the team as “Cardinals” or “Cardinal,” after the color of their uniforms. Since he also happens to be a Harvard alumnus, and Harvard uses a color – Crimson – as its team name, he liked the idea, and made it the official moniker."
  • Riveraggie
    Maybe we should be the Yale? After the shade of blue? Well, maybe not, might infringe on a trademark or something,
  • 72Aggie
    I had a friend who attended the Junior University at about that time. He favored "Robber Barons." In his words, cardinal isn't even a color, it's a "hue."

On a barely related note, the present day Arizona Cardinals acquired their nickname when, then known as the Racine, (IL) Normals, the team owner purchased old uniforms from the University of Chicago. He dubbed the color, "cardinal red," and the nickname was born. http://mentalfloss.com/article/25650/whats-nickname-origins-all-32-nfl-team-names
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_Cardinals
  • 72Aggie
    So I guess the UC Davis Ahwahnees is out of the question, too.
  • zythe
    The UC Davis Cabernets/Vitners/Jesus Juice/Tanins/...anything wine related would be nice
  • Riveraggie
    burgundy and gold...., have to change some lyrics..
    Very complicated situation we have here. We are Aggies; which I believe are people. but we don’t have an Aggie mascot, and our horse is not a farm horse. And after 100 years we have to tell people each week what our schools name is, and we’ve been doing that for at least 12 years.
  • 69aggie
    No, it very simple. The image is: We have a person (an Aggie) following a plow horse (Gunrock) plowing a field of wine and then cannabis. Everyone is very happy. Gunrock takes one too many bites of weed and then want s back into the barn and leaves Aggie in the field. The Aggie is dumbfounded as his horse has left him in the middle of the cannabis field. With nothing to eat he tries some of the weed all around him. He then becomes very befuddled and sees visions of an angry Indian through the field of cannabis coming towards him. He panics and runs. The Indian is carrying a tree as a weapon! The Aggie faints. He wakes up to see Chief Lightfoot dancing next to him. Chief says, they got rid of me as an Indian. You get rid of that damn smelly horse and we are good. The Aggie says “never” and the Chief beats the Aggie to a pulp with the tree. Sorry, no good ending here. . . . Stanford 45, Aggies 7. Hope I’m wrong.
  • movielover
    I'm hoping for quick pops from Maier, Doss being a boss, Preece being a beast, and surprises at runming back... sustained drives... slugfest... and they serve beer at Stanford, right?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hahaha...the most creative post of the year... :rofl:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!