• eastbayaggie

I stand corrected. I think we would have received more home games against those other teams - Wyoming and/or Kansas state - if my vague memory is correct. I think there was some convention that prevented us from getting those potential home games.
  • eastbayaggie
    A #2 seed playing the winner of Eastern Washington and San Diego:
    http://www.nobowls.com/
  • movielover
    Anticipated income. Dr Blue may have leeway here to estimate 10,000, or even guarantee 10,000 or 11,000.

There is also the questionnaire, hotel rates ... if school is in session, I would pull out the stops... the more perks, the more freebies, the better we look. Can we provide 3 or 4 meals at the dining common at low cost? Cheap hotel rates in Dixon or ???
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Close Shields and the DCs. :up:
  • Zander
    That is an NAIA manual referring (apparently) to their football playoff. Confusingly, it's entirely separate from our NCAA FCS tournament.
  • movielover
    Hawk has to have connections. This ain't Intramurals, brother!
  • Zander
    I took to the FCS Fans Nation Facebook group and they say that the higher seed always gets to host; only the first unseeded round is based on bidding. (Apparently different from NAIA.) So we're in really good position to get at least 1 home game, and could get up to 3 if we win out and nab the #2 seed
  • Zander
    Also, bakonydraco, who's kind of a legend over on the reddit college football forums, put together a great post on how many losses each team can afford, supposedly based on historical records of how many teams each conference gets into the playoff. His model says we can afford 2 losses to be guaranteed the playoff and 1 loss to get a bye. We're the second-most secure team after NDSU right now because we're at 7 wins and #1 in conference.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fcs/comments/9s7ruw/fcs_playoff_picture_week_10/
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Just win baby. Leave nothing to chance.
  • DavisAggie
    Good thing we're not in the NAIA
  • eastbayaggie
    Here's the fourth bracketology website update within the past 1.5 days:

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-playoff-predictions-sdsu-delaware-ndsu-bzbz

Two people picked us at #2 and one person picked us at #5.
  • eastbayaggie
    Here's the fifth bracketology website update I've found this week:

USD/WSU winner at No. 4 UC Davis

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/fcs-playoffs-til-i-die-taking-a-week-off/

Cumulatively, I think that would be three #2, one #3, two #4, and one #5.

I guess you could say the median bracketology pick is #3.
  • AggieFinn
    IdleDevotedAcouchi-size_restricted.gif

On to Northern Arizona...
  • BlueGoldAg

Just keep winning one game at a time!
  • BlueGoldAg

If we win out we're a #3 seed at least!
  • CA Forever
    Which being a 3 seed is huge... It puts us in the opposite bracket from NDSU :lol:
  • agalum
    Got to beat N Ariz (we should) and EWU. If we lose to EW, we would both be 8-2. James Madison should beat New Hampshire Saturday.
  • CA Forever
    Kennesaw State fans are freaking out on twitter saying that they should be ranked #2 due to the fact that SoS doesn't really matter when you pass the eye test... does the eye test still count when you're playing a 2-7 division 2 team (Clark Atlanta)? Like I said in other threads, KSU might be good, they might be really good but they haven't really been tested at the FCS level this season.
  • eastbayaggie
    I thought the James Madison thread discussing last year's thinking process below was interesting:

https://csnbbs.com/thread-861737.html

They also believe that if UC Davis and James Madison win out, then UCD will take the #2 seed over James Madison due to the strength of schedule.

Copied text below this line:

The first official rankings from the FCS Committee will be released this Thursday (11/2) at halftime of the ESPNU game. The second set will be released next Thursday (11/9) on ESPNU. The Selection Show will be on Sunday 11/19.

There have been a few other threads discussing hypotheticals and scenarios, but I want to share the following.

At-large teams shall be selected by the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee, assisted by four regional
    advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.
    The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
    1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to complete the bracket. Per NCAA
    Bylaw 31, the basic criteria used in the selection of at-large participants are (1) won-lost record,
    (2) strength of schedule, and (3) eligibility and availability of student-athletes for the NCAA championship;
    2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one conference;
    3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, fewer than
    six Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;
    4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all Division I opponents;
    5. If a committee member’s institution is under consideration, that committee member will not be allowed in the room during
    discussions involving his/her team and may not vote for his/her team during the voting process. Similarly, a committee
    member from a conference office may not be present during discussions, nor vote for any team from his/her conference.

The NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee will use the NCAA Simple Rating System (NCAA SRS) as a tool for
    evaluating teams for selection into the 24-team championship.
    The NCAA SRS is a ranking system used to gauge team quality. Within the NCAA SRS, the rating of a team will be calculated
    largely by two components: a strength-of-schedule measure (SOS) and a win-loss differential (WL).
    A team’s SOS measure is simply the average NCAA SRS rating of that team’s opponents for the season.
    A team’s WL measure factors whether a game was won or lost; the location of the game (home/away/neutral site); and the
    NCAA (sub)division of the opponent.
    1. In a game between two FCS teams played at a neutral site, the winning team gets one point and the losing team loses
    one point.
    2. In a game between two FCS teams played at a non-neutral site, a home win counts 0.75 for the home team and -0.75 for
    the losing team. A road team win counts 1.25 for the visiting team and -1.25 for the home team. In other words, there
    is a bonus/penalty of +/- 0.25 for the home/away teams depending on the outcome.
    3. An additional bonus/penalty of +/- 0.1 is added/deducted for games that FCS teams play against FBS/non-Division I
    opponents. For instance, a home FCS win against a Division II opponent counts only as +0.65 points (0.75 for a home
    win - 0.1 penalty for playing a Division II opponent). In addition, a road FCS win against an FBS opponent counts +1.35
    points for the FCS team (1.25 points for a road win + 0.1 bonus for beating an FBS opponent).
    4. The WL measure is then doubled to equalize the contributions of the WL factor and SOS factor toward a team’s NCAA
    SRS rating.
    5. Margin of victory will be factored into a team’s NCAA SRS rating. This component is capped at 21 points.
    The teams’ ratings are independent in that one team’s rating depends on its opponents’ ratings, which depend on their
    opponents’ ratings, etc., based on the “network” of college football games played each week during the football season. The
    NCAA SRS will also standardize the data in order to equalize the variance in total number of games played (i.e., 11 or 12
    regular-season games).
    Games against Division III or non-NCAA opponents are not factored into any team’s NCAA SRS rating.
    The time of the season in which a game is played (early-season versus late-season games) is also not factored into a team’s
    NCAA SRS rating.
    The NCAA SRS will not “force select” any teams into the championship; rather, it is one of several resources that
    the Division I Football Championship Committee will have at its disposal when debating the merits of teams under
    consideration for championship selection.
    The NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee will begin reviewing NCAA SRS data during the later portion of the
    football season as it prepares for champion.
  • Bige70
    Gentlemen, let’s savor this. After the last 10-12 years, this is just amazing. The Hawk-aissance has gone far better, far more quickly than I dreamed it would.
  • aggie08
    If we win out, we're likely a #2 or #3 seed which would be ideal to avoid NDSU as long as possible. Even w a loss at EWash, I still see us getting a bye. But yes, one game at a time. I can see us competing with anyone.
  • movielover
    Beating San Jose was so key, that 1st quarter so critical. I think they are better than their record, a decent steady QB and they're at 3-5 wins.
  • Riveraggie
    is SRS rating published weekly somewhere?
    I like the formula. It doesn’t matter if you win by more than 21. However, It might give too much credit for winning an FBS game because that’s already factored in by the competitive score matrix; so we should schedule winnable FBS games, emphasis on winnable. Let’s play San Jose every year please And lower tier mountain west teams in place of PAC 12. Love it if we could play Reno regularly for historical and local reasons.
  • Kerberos
    Yeah, this is interesting because it does suggest that losing to an FBS will still hurt your consideration. Most people just assume that an FBS loss just gets thrown out. Of course, it does say SRS isn't dispositive so I'm sure a loss to a team like Cal wouldn't be the sole reason for not making it in. And a win over Cal will still matter more than a win over SJSU.
  • CA Forever
    Holy spam links, batman
  • Riveraggie
    Yep, but there are a lot of FBS teams that we would be favored or narrow underdogs, Cal isn’t one of them.
    I’m assuming their team matrix includes both FBS and FCS. The description above doesn’t show how the score fits in besides saying it does. I assume it is similar to the pure points methodology in Sagarin.
    But it seems win/loss is a bigger factor than point differential.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thanks but what about the cruise to Hong Kong they said I'd won?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!