• agalum
    The weather guy on kcra Sac is predicting Saturday will be like today. Need to knock that fire down.
  • DrMike
    I’m pretty confident we’re in now; also feel like it’s a long shot we’d get a seed even with a win Saturday unless he get some help. With enough help, we’d probably be in without a 9th win. All speculation, of course.

Being impact of not playing would be a reluctance to give us a home game if they’re worried about smoke.

Game still worries me if Thomson plays and can play at a high level. We’ll score, but they will too. It’s gonns be a weird atmosphere, probably a sparse crowd and we’re coming off a tough game. Would expect some sloppy play. Their run game could wear out an oxygen deprived defense.
  • DrMike
    There will be an update announced tomorrow at 10:00 according to web site and Facebook
  • movielover
    Well, if the game is cancelled, we'd be well rested for the playoffs... but it is odd...
  • agalum
    https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2018/11/14/general-uc-davis-athletics-continues-to-monitor-air-quality.aspx?path=general

“We are closely watching the AQI and will continue to abide by the well-established NCAA guidelines that govern air quality. We are in constant communication with the Big Sky Conference about the game, and are evaluating contingency plans should a necessary change in the game time or location takes place.”
  • BlueGoldAg
    I was in downtown Sacramento today and it was the worst air I ever been in anywhere. It's like being in an apocalyptic, polluted world of the future.

The local news just reported the Sacramento went from 252 at 6 a.m. to 343 currently and an air quality sensor in Lincoln is reporting 432 there! We are quickly going beyond unhealthy air to hazardous air in the valley.

I don't see any way that this game gets played on Saturday. I'm not sure how many fans would even show up in such poor air also.

A lot of people were wearing masks in Sacramento today. I heard the N95 masks are sold out just about everywhere locally. I think I'm going to order them from Amazon. The crap in the air right now can not be safe to breathe at all.
  • agalum

Wow, great sleuthing!
  • AggieFinn
    Wanted to say one thing, smoke be damned...

Sac State Sucks
  • CK2
    Great find on the article. Glad to see they are looking elsewhere. Little to no chance this can be played at Davis barring some unexpected changes.
  • DrMike
    I wonder if they got the Reno as a possible site from us?
  • BlueGoldAg
    They might have...folks here were discussing options early on....
  • DavisAggie
    This game is not happening. We go into playoffs at 8-2
  • DavisAggie
    Still like our seed chances, just not as much
  • Aggie57
    Heard through the grape vine that team has been told to have bags packed and be ready to travel in the morning just in case...coach will be updating team early in the morning on game status. No doubt Dr Blue working overtime to make this game happen.
  • DrMike
    I think I’m gonna look for hotels in Reno just in case! Hope we’re not tied to the noon kickoff for the TV deal. Don’t think I could make it.
  • DrMike
    Both Redding and Fresno show unhealthy air levels now, Redding worse at around 180. AgAlum and I are checking Reno availability just in case. Just hope we’re not stuck with a noon kickoff due to TV deal. Don’t think I could make it up that early
  • ucdavisaggie05
    We’ll all find out tomorrow morning!

Between this and today’s performance center announcement, they always seem to make news right as I am stepping into a meeting, go figure.
  • CK2
    The good thing here is Sac had their game cancelled last week. If this week was to cancel what a terrible way for seniors to end their careers. I’m sure they are all in on making this happen which helps. Lets go. Find a site and do it.
  • DrMike
    as I tell young people who ask for career advice ‘work is overrated’
  • movielover
    Talk to Vin Scully ... after a long baseball strike, he had read books, took a few vacations, and was getting bored... he re-evaluated his retirement plans. ... Then again, he probably didn't have to deal with memos and politics given his clout.
  • movielover
    Thank you!! So they are just as motivated to play! This likely will go down as a historic game, one of a kind.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Ha, yep, it’s all about the work-life balance, which was the reason I changed jobs to where I am now.

At this rate, sign me up for a 9:30 meeting on Sunday morning if it means we get a seed and a bye. Wait, I’ll be heading to our eldest son’s birthday party. Scratch that....
  • BlueGoldAg
    From the Aggie website: Air quality precautions for Saturday's Causeway Classic

We are closely watching the AQI and will continue to abide by the well-established NCAA guidelines that govern air quality. We are in constant communication with the Big Sky Conference about the game, and are evaluating contingency plans should a necessary change in the game time or location takes place.

UC Davis Intercollegiate Athletics has followed these guidelines consistently in the past and is continuing to do so. Outdoor activities are modified when the Air Quality Index (AQI) exceeds 150 and canceled if the AQI exceeds 200. Additionally, sports medicine personnel have full authority to stop outdoor activity at any AQI level if student-athletes experience respiratory problems.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2018/11/14/general-uc-davis-athletics-continues-to-monitor-air-quality.aspx
  • movielover
    Some BA HSs are switching games to the Salinas area

The SJSU fan site mentions Monterey Peninsula College as an idea. Holds 3,000, surrounded by an 8 lane track.

Kezar Stadium. There is a PR shot! Holds 10,000, 2nd modern renovation a couple of years ago.
  • DrMike
    CCS are playing triple headers at places down the peninsula. Not sure what the east bay schools will do. They postponed last weekend until Saturday, but it’s getting worse here every day
  • CK2
    If you look at the forecast it’s currently very unhealthy, BUT forecast for today is to be “unhealthy” and then “moderate”
    Tomorrow. If it does hit tomorrow’s forecast that’s absolutely playable. But how much can you trust that to happen? If you let it ride you put the game in jeopardy of being cancelled if it doesn’t improve. If you are to move the game that call has to be made today (fairly early I imagine). Tough calls ahead.
  • Aggie57
    Everything pointing to Reno. Forecast calls for sunny day, high of 58, with light winds. No issue with AQI.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!