• BlueGoldAg
    From the Enterprise: Hornets get even, sting late in hoops clash at Golden 1 Center

“We won ugly tonight,” Sac State head coach Brian Katz said afterwards, alluding to the 40 combined turnovers between the two teams. “They made some unforced turnovers, but so did we. (But) we won at the foul line.”

“We struggled on both ends of the floor,” Aggie coach Jim Les said. “I don’t think we even scored in the last five minutes.”

Les admitted he had second thoughts after not calling a timeout prior to Schneider’s shot.

“I told the team, I regretted not giving them a chance and not being more vocal to call a timeout,” Les said. “We just needed one more defensive stop, but we couldn’t come up with it.”

“Our carelessness with the ball, it’s a problem,” the eighth year UCD hoops mentor added. “It’s not just one guy, it’s a number of guys. And it’s affecting us and a lot of those points in transition off those turnovers where we can’t get our defense set.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/hornets-get-even-sting-late-in-hoops-clash-at-golden-1-center/
  • AggieOutcast
    At least one issue I can find with Sac State's men's basketball team having only one winning season in the past 30 is good luck trying to get anyone good that's willing to play their home games in a 1,000-seat high school caliber facility on a campus in a city that doesn't care about its university. :shade: In my opinion, the Hornets' athletic program has some tough decisions to make. I think getting an on-campus arena is a long shot at best. There just isn't an appetite on Sacramento's part in wanting to get one built. :down: I also wonder if Sac State would be better off going back to Division II and rekindle rivalries with the likes of Chico State, Humboldt State, San Francisco State and Cal State East Bay. When you have a college like Sac State that has done almost nothing to get people to care, there isn't much to get excited about. :yawn: There's no way of knowing if things will ever change with these guys.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The greater Sacramento area is hungry for some high level D1 major sports such as football and basketball. You have to go to the bay area, Fresno or Reno to find that right now.

The sky is the limit If either school were to grow these sports to a higher D1 level and prestige and were able to bring in schools to compete against that fans actually get excited about. That would mean teams like Nevada-Reno and Boise in football and any of the PAC12 schools in basketball for example. It would require a big increase in resources and facility upgrades but whoever gets there first will win the prize.
  • SoCalAggie
    no I get that. I follow the recruiting closely as well but even so, TJ shouldn’t be leading rebounding in most games...

It’s just a bummer that we have this incredible out of conference schedule this year and I think we are going to get blown out (hopefully not!). Would have loved to see our team last year with the likes of Chima play Indiana, Arizona, USC etc.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I can only imagine that when Les put this schedule together he thought he had the horses in the stable that he felt could compete in the race but, so far, that doesn't look to be the case. Unfortunately, if this losing trend continues, it's not going to help recruiting at all.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!