• Oldbanduhalum
    I had posted this in the EWU game thread, but someone suggested it needs it's own. In addition to the push for the trip listed here, the band is also doing a fund raiser at Panera in Davis this Thursday. Simply eat at Panera between 4pm - 8pm and a portion of your bill will be paid to the Camb. You need to give them this flyer or simply show them the flyer on your phone. (link to facebook post)
    --------------------------------
    Regarding the band going to EWU this weekend, please see this note below about funding:

As many of you know, this weekend the Aggie football team had its first playoff football game in something like 15 years and won. This weekend the team will be travelling to Eastern Washington for the second time this season. It will be the third round of the FCS playoffs. The winner of this game goes on to the semi-finals and then the finals. CAMB would like to make it to the playoff game this weekend but doesn't have the funds for the trip.

Here's the tl;dr version: donate here (https://give.ucdavis.edu/CUCR/322841). The band needs between $7k and $10 to make the trip a reality. If at all possible they need the funds by close of business on Wednesday. The fund will close at about 5pm on Saturday, 08Dec18. After you donate please email and with the amount you donated.
  • DrMike
    its posted on the UC Davis Aggie Football - Aggie Pride facebook page.
  • AggieFinn
    There's $80 bucks, buy some long johns!

• movielover
    Can we get an update on progress?
  • 69aggie
    $100. Here
  • OC Aggie
    Glad to chip in. Away trips were easily some of the most fun I had while I was in it.
  • AggieHex08
    Go Ags! Don't forget to email and with the amount you donated.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Let’s get them to Cheney!

• BlueGoldAg
    I just sent them $100. The one and only Band-uh has been entertaining me since I first arrived on campus in the fall of '72. God knows they make a big difference in the atmosphere at the Aggie sporting events especially especially when the seats are half empty.

Glad to help out and I hope we can get a group up to Cheney.

Go Band-uh!
  • aggie08
    Thanks for posting! Tight on budget right now, but gave what I can. Hope we're making progress!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Good on ya, aggie08! A whole bunch of small donations would add up quickly.
  • Aggie57
    Made a small donation. Would be great if they can go. Let’s hope brass players lips don’t get stuck to frozen mouthpiece:)
  • OC Aggie
    According to the Alumni Band-uh Instagram page, the students are "already $3,900 closer to their goal."
  • dlmusgrove
    As a current bandsmen, thank you so much for your support! We are really excited for this and it means a lot to us that so many people are willing to support us. I know our director and student officers have been working really hard since we beat UNI to make this a reality. We all appreciate everything everyone is doing for the band. Go Ags!
  • ucdavisaggie05
    We’re going to beat the proverbial drum to get you there. I’m hoping we’re doing the same this time next week to send you to off to Utah.
  • agalum
    Can someone post the total before the deadline in case we need to squeeze it a bit more.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Yes, and if there are updates as to how much has been raised or how much is left to reach the goal please post that as well.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I'll post any totals I can find, but there are others on this board that hopefully have a little more inside knowledge.
  • NCagalum
    A Benjamin here. Thanks to comptroller (wife) for approving. Being a band-uh alum back in the days when we went to all games, it was the band experience that made me an enduring fan of Aggie football. We were essentially the cheering/spirit section. Brass - Bring plastic mouthpieces!
  • AggieFinn
    Total update? Where are we at? Want to see this at $8K or so by Wednesday night.

• Oldbanduhalum
    I've asked for an update. I'll share if i get a response.
  • OC Aggie
    From the Alumni Band-uh's Facebook page:

Want to see the navy uniforms in Washington THIS WEEKEND? Thanks to the generosity of this family and community, we're **over $7,000 closer** to making it happen -- a milestone achieved within the first 20 hours! The funds so far are going towards transportation, and further gifts beyond that will help put some nutrition into the students' diets (since as wise and venerable alumni, we all know the value of a balanced meal ).

To add your donation to an unforgettable end-of-season trip, please visit this site: <https://give.ucdavis.edu/CUCR/322841> and email and afterwards to let the amount of your contribution be noted towards the running total.

EDIT (1:00pm): Student Affairs came through with a surprise and paid for the Band-uh's lodging! The original post has been edited to reflect that donations will now be put towards feeding the Band-uh on their expedition.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Excellent OC! So very proud to be an Aggie right now!!!
  • BlueGoldAg
    How great is this...over $7000 in the first 20 hours. Damn...Aggie Pride is alive and well...so dang proud of the Ags and their fans that 2 buttons just popped off my shirt!
  • fugawe09
    Looking forward to a bold, blue, and bitchin’ Band-uh showing EWU what’s up. I’m loving this hot streak of Aggie Pride. And glad it had brought some first-time posters to the board. Go Ags!
  • movielover
    I hope we get the WHOLE BAND ... not 40%, not 77%, the whole friggin BAND!!
  • aggie08
    That would be amazing! A nice contingent would not only inspire the team, but can you imagine the EWU fans' reactions? Proud to be an Aggie! Let's goooo
  • movielover
    Heck, invite the alumni band along... or go under cover.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I have a couple of questions for any current or former Band-uh members out there about playing in extreme cold. I've had a little experience over the years with various musical instruments: guitar, didgeridoo, harmonica, Boehm flute and Irish flute, and I've tried several brass instruments and reed instruments too but I've always played these instruments indoors.

Anyone who has ever played a wind instrument, be it a silver flute, reed or brass instrument, knows that the development of a good embouchure is critical to producing a good tone. My question then is how in world are the band members able to play their wind instruments when their face and lips are tight and cold in frigid conditions outdoors? It was tough enough for me to be able to learn produce good tone on a flute, for example, in ideal indoor conditions? I'm not sure I could get a sound to come out of it if my lips were feeling frozen!

Also, how does the cold affect the tone and playability of the instruments in cold conditions? I know that my acoustic guitars will change pitch as they warm up from body heat as they are held and played. I would also think that the valves on instruments like trumpets, tubas and baritones, for example, would be difficult to play as the valve oil viscosity gets denser when the temperature drops in very cold conditions.

Just curious....
  • Russ Bowlus
    Word is that just under $12k was raised in under 36 hours. Super cool. :)

Not only are all travel costs covered, but enough was raised so that the band could stay overnight rather than getting straight back on the bus and heading back to Davis.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!