• aggiblu
    With success comes the question of how long can this last. Thoughts of whether Coach Hawk and Coach Plough stay for the long term because they are "home?" Will they win and run?
  • AggieFinn
    Plough will get a HC job offer this offseason...
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think Hawk is here for the long run. This is home for him and he bleeds Aggie Pride. Of course, I suppose just about everyone has their price but Hawk seems to have arrived at the stage of his life where big bucks and a bigger stage aren't the main motivating factors for him. He's been around the block and has experienced success and disappointment that comes with the territory in the big leagues. It's dog eat dog in the Power 5 leagues.

I believer him when he says that he what he really wants to do now is bring greatness back to Aggie football and recognition to the entire university while preparing young men to eventually take their degrees and go out and help make the world a little better place. He's here to stay.

Tim Plough is a rising star in the offensive coordinator ranks. I'm sure he'd like to be a head coach someday and I expect he will get some enticing offers very soon. On the other hand, he's an Aggie and we all know what a strong influence that is. He also has a young family and Davis is about as good a family community as can be found anywhere. Who knows, maybe when Hawk finally pulls the plug, Plough might be somewhere in the wings ready to step up or come back to his roots.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    “The campus here is amazing, you are in California and you have a top 10 education in the country,” Plough said. “This is one of the best public universities in the nation. You are basically getting an Ivy League education here with football. We have a great little niche in recruiting. If you are a great student and you can go to any school in the Big Sky, you should go to Davis. No slouch on any of the other schools but academically, we are going to be better than those other teams and if we can keep scoring some points and winning some games and being exciting, I feel like we can start getting those types of players that can help us win consistently in the conference.”
    Shots fired, Flagstaff.

https://www.skylinesportsmt.com/historic-season-continues-for-uc-davis-with-first-ever-playoff-game-against-uni/
  • Idaho Aggie
    Well, if Plough leaves I hope he comes to Idaho. Without a buyout we're stuck with Petrino until 2022 or 2023, but he's worn out his welcome here. Moscow is a lot like Davis was when I arrived in 1979, though smaller. We stayed in Moscow when I was done with school because it's also a great place to raise a family and housing is affordable.
  • Zander
    Hawk could get more money elsewhere, but that doesn't necessarily mean his quality of life would improve that dramatically compared to what you could currently get in Davis with his salary and presumed net worth.

Same kinda holds true for Plough, though an HC job would be a more substantial jump in income
  • Riveraggie
    Here at Davis, Hawkins can make his pitch promoting the Aggie family and the great education with a lot of authenticity, I don’t think that will be as effective elsewhere. It makes him perfect for Davis. I think it will enable him to build something here that he can’t do elsewhere. So I think he stays a while. Plough will move on, but I don’t think he’s proved enough yet to be in real demand. Who’ve we beat so far? For some reason our opponents this year were a little down. Our signature win? UNI ? Plough hasn’t really proved his offense is all that. I mean where people feel they’ve got to hire that coach.
  • movielover
    Agreed. Love them all, but Plough is surrounded by Hawkins, Speckman, and a unique situation. Hawkins also has perks here like his upcoming Aggie Alumni European vacation. He has a son here, grandchildren, and most importantly Mrs. Hawkins input.
  • DrMike
    I think Dan is here for the long-haul for all the reasons listed above. I can see Plough moving on to a FBS job, maybe a OC. He set records down at NAU with Cookus, and has put up some spectacular numbers here in a very short time. He has ties to Davis, but a move up would be appealing. If he does leave, I think little Hawk would be the likely successor.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Something to keep in mind, and I was mentioning this to a friend this morning, but, aside from the Gould-en Era, the HC position has been handed over to an in-house candidate and/or Aggie alum since 1970. That’s something to give considerable thought to given the forthcoming sports performance center, upward trend of the program, and guesstimating as to how long Hawk leads the program. When it does come time, at some point in the future, who knows when, for Hawk to retire, this program could be a well-oiled machine. Put all of this together with Plough’s quotes above.....
  • SochorField
    '05 beat me to it. Plough is next up as head coach IMO.

I think Hawk retires here.....and i don't think anytime soon. Hard to quit when you're having the time of your life! And it sure looks like he is.

Also to note: Plough came right back to Davis as soon as he had the chance, it seems.
  • movielover
    Hawk is still a young man, let's not get ahead of ourselves. How about we win a few FCS championships first?
  • fugawe09
    Hawkins is 58. Who knows how long he plans stay at it, but UC has a pretty cushy retirement package.

Kevin Blue is 30-something. I bet somebody takes notice of him.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Bingo. That is my biggest immediate concern.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Sure, let’s become the next NDSU-esque FCS dynasty before he retires - I’m in!
  • zythe
    Hawk is not going anywhere.

He is going to build Davis into a powerhouse...
  • movielover
    Awesome retirement, and I believe he and his wife completely remodeled an old home here in town.
  • Riveraggie

An awesome retirement compared to most of us wage slaves but it kind of becomes trivial compared to major college football head coach salaries.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    I am not hypothesizing that Hawk is leaving or retiring any time soon. I do think that any conversation of the futures of he and Plough are intertwined and interrelated though, hence the discussion. You’re only as old as you feel, and it sure looks like coming back to Davis has been a revitalization for Hawk.
  • DrMike
    you have to work 5 years to vest in the retirement and the pension is calculated as (average salary)*(years of service)*(age factor). that age factor for recent hires tops at 2.5% at 64. so, even with 10 years of coaching, that pension isn't a huge amount. he's too late in his career for the pension to be attractive; however, the 'Savings Factor' that UC now offers is pretty sweet.
  • Davisbear
    No one is very loyal these days, but I suspect Hawkins will be here until he’s done coaching. Plough will have some head coaching options, so he will most likely move on at some point. Hopefully Hawkins has built a coaching staff that can absorb some losses and keep moving ahead. The key is recruiting, if we can keep the staff together it allows the recruiting to stay on track. But change is constant in college sports, you just have to enjoy the good years because you never know when things will change
  • 69aggie
    I think Hawk stays to retirement. Sure, higher paying jobs are out there, but he got a pretty big payoff out of Colorado when he left there. He hopefully invested it well.
    Plough will be sought after, but he needs a few more seasons with a winning program too maximize his potential.
    I actually think our AD, Dr. Blue is the most likely to be hired away. He operates one of the biggest DI ICA operations in the West. He has started new programs from scratch and gotten alumni finds to do so. He is smart, engaging, handsome and has proven himself a winner by virtue of the success of his many sports teams.
    The next most possible is, IMHO, Jen Gross. If I’m not mistaken, she is the most successful coach currently in our ICA program- plus, a great and very respected coach and person. She is definitely PAC 12 material.
    But as has been said, any offer to anyone of these individuals would have to be from Top Notch schools or they ain’t leaving Davis anytime soon.
  • movielover
    Hawk may also have a few years to add from when he was an assistant coach.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!