• BlueGoldAg
    I honestly don't know. Unfortunately, I don't think it's a good sign that we haven't heard anything in a week.
  • True Blue Aggie
    I have no idea what the standard protocol for this sort of thing is, nor do I (like everyone else) have any real idea of what specific infraction Chima committed. BUT, this radio silence from Athletics is extremely frustrating. I understand that campus "needs to investigate" but a week should have been plenty of time given the impact the delay causes. We deserve better than silence.

#FREECHIMA
  • aggies07
    I am not surprised with the lack of transparency on Chima case based on the potential complexity and track record of our AD. I will assume Chima missing at least rest of regular season ( for post season, depends on investigation progress and Chima willingness to play at that point). If Chima misses the rest of the season, will he be eligible to play for another D-1 for a season if enrolling in their post grad program?

And if I recall history right, this is not the first time a high profile player having rift with Les ( I remembered there was a freshman pg who played with lots of potential leaving the team with a weird reason, then played for Kent state or another power D-1 in east coast after a season at JC)
  • BlueGoldAg
    Even if Chima is not reinstated this season I believe his eligibility would be over. As I understand it the NCAA allows 5 years to complete 4 years of play. An additional year can be petitioned for due to injury but it wouldn't be allowed for a suspension.

I believe that Chima could be reinstated at any time including the post-season if the the Aggies were to get there. Realistically, however, without Chima, given what I have seen so far, we are going to have a tough time in all of our 5 remaining conference games. We are very much a middle of the league team without him in the lineup and we really have no who can replace his talent. Shorts, Schneider, Onybalu and Goode are giving it their all but we fall off quickly after that and it hasn't been enough to fill the void yet.
  • movielover
    Wild speculation. Let's hope for the best.
  • DrMike
    I remember Julian Welch leaving and going on to star at Minnesota, but he was a Stewart recruit
  • 69aggie
    Well at least we have the Ladies to follow. Arguably one of the best teams the Ags have ever had in any sport male or female. Morgan on track to break all kinds of scoring records before she graduates. I don’t think they get nearly enough credit for what they have accomplished so far. Sac bee doesn’t even print their scores and the attendance for their games is less than one might expect for a team with 20 wins. I hope they win out their final conference games and then on to the playoffs.
  • BlueGoldAg
    In all likelihood Morgan will be the all time #1 scorer ever in women's basketball before she graduates and, when the team plays like they did yesterday, they are a pleasure to watch.
  • G-Man
    The WBB team is an outstanding team...The seniors really demonstrate leadership at all levels of the game... and whole team is really fun to watch! when you attend a home game no matter win or lose after a game the team mingles with the crowd.. The culture of this team is one of family... if someone is down,... the bench mob picks the whole team up.... We need the Aggie pack to step up its game and support the WBB team...the 'season' ticket holders have been there since the season began!
  • 69aggie
    Well, i will tell you that Morgan is the toast of the town in Santa Rosa her home town. We are very proud of her. Did you know she was not recruited by any other D1 school/coach but for Jen? She was the first scholarship player ever recruited out of Santa Rosa HS. She almost went to sonoma state? Did you know that she is a biomedical engineering major, one of the most challenging majors in the UC system? There was a big story in the Press Democrat about her a week or so ago. Sorry i cannot bring it up now. I love that girl!!!
  • 72Aggie
    Here's a Press Democrat article on Morgan from a couple of months ago:
    http://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/7741002-181/benefield-uc-davis-morgan-bertsch
  • aggie6thman
    Who thinks Chima will be back before the end of the regular season?
  • Gunrock47
    Considering they've kept this so hush hush, I doubt it.
  • DrMike
    Chima Suspension : Day 11 - Aggie Fans held hostage
  • Davisbear
    This is really strange, you would think that they could at least say something at this point..."there is an ongoing investigation, blah, blah".
  • movielover
    I hope China gets caught up on all his school work, rest, and individual workouts. #AggiePride
  • aggie08
    Can’t agree more. Say you’re evaluating an appropriate action. Is it season ending? Is he ever coming back in an Aggie uniform? The silence gives a glimmer of hope he’ll be back.
  • 69aggie
    Forget the process; i am now seriously concerned about this young mans health and well being. He knows he may have let his team down (his main support group at Davis). He’s 8000 miles from home. Not seen family and parents for 8 years. This must be seriously depressing for Chima. Yet, i do believe that AD Blue will handle this properly and that there is a reason for this delay that we simply do not know at this time. The total silence may actually be a good thing. Like all of you I HOPE!!
  • BlueGoldAg
    I agree, this has to be emotionally rough for Chima and for his teammates also.To make things even worse, I believe that his parents were going to come to Davis and see him play and now...??? Real shame all of this has happened...
  • Oldbanduhalum
    From today's Enterprise:

"The locals, who will playing their fourth straight game without suspended forward Chima Moneke, two weeks ago found themselves in a first-place tie with UC Santa Barbara. Playing without Moneke, whose suspension cause is being investigated by university officials, UCD is 1-2 and sitting in a third-place conference tie with Cal State Fullerton and Long Beach State, a game in back on UC Irvine (13-14, 8-3)."
  • Gunrock47
    Can you private message me whatever you said that got taken down? I'm curious to hear what you're sure will be proven right.
  • Davisbear
    Still no word on Chima? It is beyond bizarre that they haven't said anything at this point, you would have to think that the investigation would be over by now.
  • Toke69
    If we assume that Moneke did not break a team rule (which would have been a coach's decision to suspend him) but a violation of the student conduct code, I do not think this will be over soon. Having been a college administrator for some time, I can add that they will not say anything about Chima's situation to protect his privacy. I am no longer familiar with the student code at UC Davis, but I would think it specifies not only the different steps that must be taken but the time requirements for each. It is unlikely that they will accelerate the process for a student athlete but will treat him as they would any other student going through a disciplinary hearing.
  • Zander
    Agreed, the most reasonable guess at this point is it's something bigger than a team issue but smaller than a law enforcement issue.

I'm still entertaining my first guess, which I'm redacting for the sake of Chima's privacy. Hopefully this gets resolved or clarified quickly.
  • Davisbear
    I understand the idea of treating him like a regular student...BUT he is a high profile basketball player, from a PR standpoint the University needs to make a statement. They don't necessarily need to treat him differently but they should provide some statement on where they are in the process, potential timeline, etc.
  • movielover
    I don't think speculating is helpful to us or Chima.
  • 69aggie
    I think that the fact that this has been kept secret so long is amazing and is actually a credit to the university and the judicial process on going. Even the bee with all of its (paid?) moles inside UC Davis cannot get this info. My heart goes out to Chima and i wish him well.
  • Zander
    sorry yeah good point, I was too casual in throwing that out because I personally don't view it as a bad thing, and wasn't regarding how it still might be problematic in other contexts. Will edit
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!