• movielover
    I believe Coach Gould brought back the cheer. Nobody knew it.
  • eastbayaggie
    UC Davis was paid $725K from USC as well as $400K from Tulsa. I'm clueless in a practical level on what UC Davis does with the $1.125 million. In other words, does anyone here know what would have happened in a practical level if UC Davis were not paid $1.125 million? What everyday things could we not have done if we hadn't had the extra cash?
  • 69aggie
    Lights for BB? I know a clueless joke. . . .
  • quadshock
    Investment the $1.125 in Bitcoin to pay for stadium expansion down the line?
  • agalum
    I don’t think football gets to keep it. My guess is that it is shared with other sports, and of course if its anything like research dollars, the Chancellor will take his cut.
  • AggieFinn
    A Look at the Forced Fumble Late in the Game:
  • Riveraggie
    I think the big payday more or less is offset by the fact they didn’t get paid for an FCS game in 2020.
  • quadshock

That's still a major win
  • 72Aggie
    ...however they did not incur the training, travel and accommodation costs of playing an FCS opponent either.
  • Riveraggie
    I’m not saying it’s not a stroke of good fortune, it obviously is. Particularly the USC check.
    Just saying a good portion of it makes up for lost revenue from missing our FCS game last year. We missed out on a game with San Jose, which would have had minimal expense.
    I don’t think it’s a windfall which can be spent on some project. Remember we missed out in all the attendance revenue from the fall games as well.
  • zythe
    Crazy how that is chump change for USC. They have some super wealthy donors that give. They recognize that giving back will help their image in the long run.
  • agalum

And their alumni network might be one of the strongest in the nation. Several of my HS friends went there. If SC is on your CV, it goes to the top of the pile.
  • Riveraggie
    Damn! They offered me a half scholarship when UC wouldn’t let me in.
  • agalum

My wife was in a similar situation. She could have gone to SC on a full academic ride or Pepperdine Malibu. Let’s see, downtown LA or Malibu. That was an easy decision for her.
  • Riveraggie
    I notice that Justin Kraft didn’t play, according to the stats. He’s a slot receiver same as Crawford and Hutton. Hutton certainly played very well, but I’m guessing Kraft might have been held out due to injury, because if he was healthy he likely would have seen some action. I think Hutton had a great game, the guy is tough.
  • NCagalum
    Thought this was a great picture of Gomez. Sort of what college football is all about. Photo credit: Tulsa World

j60b043q4lp9oknh.jpeg
  • 69aggie
    It seems that teams that woefully note how many of their players did not play in a game and thats what cost “us the game.” These coaches are just trying to cover up for their own mistakes. Lack of depth? Lack of recruiting for depth? Well, whose fault is that? I think we left some players in Davis. Still won.
  • Riveraggie
    Right. We had Hansen miss first half due to targeting call against Eastern. We were without two slot backs. one who was our leading receiver this spring.
    Tulsa wasn’t hit by a surprise because it was their administration that suspended them. So they had time to prepare to play a half or a full game without those guys.
    However it did help equalize the depth, and I’m sure cost them some cohesion.
  • movielover
    Tramel's ScissorTales: Tulsa’s loss to Cal-Davis was part of a big day for Big Sky football

"The Golden Hurricane played without six players who were suspended for their part in a post-game brawl against Mississippi State. Among the missing were safety TieNeal Martin, linebackers Treyvon Reeves and Justin Wright, and offensive lineman Tyler Smith, all starters."

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/2021/09/06/tulsa-golden-hurricane-football-loss-uc-davis-part-big-day-big-sky-conference/5747213001/
  • Riveraggie
    It was weird but also classy in a way that the TV broadcast didn’t talk about the suspensions much.
  • Riveraggie
    Here is an article from a Vacaville publication, that discusses some items about the team, like Colton Lamson demotion and resurgence as the right tackle, and also revisits the issue of Hansen’s suspension. An example of why that targeting rule slanders the players in cases where their is no attempt to injure or excessive force, as was the case for Hansen.
    https://www.vacavilleinsider.com/2021/09/07/uc-davis-football-2021/
    Hansen’s take is right, he can see the point in the open field but not between the tackles. It’s also inconsistent in my view to praise players for getting a hat on the ball, but suspend them for a game for gettin a hat on a player. I doubt many of those hats on the ball miss the player entirely.
  • movielover
    Bob Dunning: Big wins for UC Davis, Big Sky teams

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/big-wins-for-aggies-big-sky-teams/

The day before the team visited the Greenwood Rising exhibition at Tulsa’s "Black Wall Street", where a horrible race massacre took place 100 years ago.
  • BlueGoldAg
    More from the Enterprise article:

“The odds are pretty much 80 percent that you’ll have a winning season if you win your first game,” said the Aggie boss.
    “It also creates a tremendous amount of buy-in to what we’re doing and generates momentum. It was a possession game, and
    for us to have no turnovers was huge.”

Added Hawkins, “We won the turnover battle and the red zone battle. There are a lot of meaningful reasons why we won.”

Hawkins was especially pleased that on the afternoon before the game the entire team and coaching staff was able to visit the Greenwood Rising exhibition along what is known as Tulsa’s Black Wall Street, where a horrific race massacre took
    place 100 years ago.

“That was an amazing, impactful and meaningful experience. You can do that and still play a football game. Those things canbe done together. That’s uniquely UC Davis.”
  • MTBAggie
    Hawkins mentioned this week in a press conference the importance of being an academic institution first and foremost, and that the team will be taking a trip on the USS Midway while they're down in San Diego.
  • DrMike
    thats a great tour. my wife and i have done it a couple times; i think i'll skip this year and hit the zoo. maybe the beach if the forecast is correct for 84 degrees.
  • Riveraggie
    That’s a good tour but I think there is more history with the Hornet in Alameda. An older ship that say action in WW2.
  • MTBAggie
    I spent the night on the Hornet with my son when he was doing cub scouts. Maybe the next time they play Cal, they can visit the Hornet. An even better overnight trip was the SS Jeremiah O'Brien liberty ship in SF. That was my favorite event with the cub scouts.
  • Riveraggie
    I don’t think many people grasp the shared significance of those three ships as examples of US industrial production in WW2.
    I wonder how many college age people even know liberty ships were built in Sausalito and Richmond.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!