• movielover
    Biggest upsets

Stanford
    Tulsa
    Nevada Reno (Toomey)
    San Jose State
  • Riveraggie
    The 2010 San Jose State game maybe. I think they shouldn’t have been favored in 2018.
    UOP, the first win. I think that UOP was coming off a road win against Minnesota.
  • agalum
    There were a few times that Sac was rated way higher than us and we knocked them off. As I recall one time we bumped them out of the playoffs
  • Russ Bowlus
    Kingsville, 1996.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    That uop games was 1985 I think, with Peterson at the helm. Great game!
  • Riveraggie
    I had to look it up. 1986 UOP Tigers won over Minnesota the week before in front of 50 000 people 24-20.
    Lost to the Aggies in front of 15,000 fans 45-41
  • 69aggie
    I was at that game. Sochor called an end around to tight end Fortner that totally fooled UOP. That won the game. Fortner was a great Aggie player. Is he the AHOF? UOP fired its coach after that game.
  • DrMike
    I think it was Mandeville at TE; Fortner was mid 70’s.

Trivia : what future NFL head coach QB’d the Tiigers that night? Raider fans might know.
  • Goags20172
    Hue Jackson ? Cheated and looked it up
  • DrMike
    I found a write up about the game and that’s where I got it!
  • eastbayaggie
    Are there any good old UC Davis Aggie games around on YouTube or the like? I'm generally referring to any games before 2000 A.D.
  • DrMike
    the 82 national championship game is on YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yTM247IOKlw

Two parts to it. I found the 2001 semifinal also
  • BlueGoldAg
    I was at many of those great Aggie upsets that have been mentioned.

For me, I think the Stanford game was the most shocking Aggie upset though. I mean, D2 Davis beating FBS Stanford. That's crazy! It really was Davis vs Goliath!

I'd put our win over Nevada-Reno as the second biggest upset. Nobody gave us a chance. Reno was unbeaten and #1 in the nation coming off a 77-0 thrashing of Sac State if I remember correctly. The Toom was packed with SRO 5-10 deep around the field. The place was electric and the stream engine was smoking, wheezing and whistling like crazy.

We were so undersized compared to the Wolfpack players that it was ridiculous yet we took control of the game and never looked back. I remember the Reno players walking around like they didn't know what had hit them. This was Sochor's signature win, IMO.

Of course, those were the D2 glory days and it's a whole era now. The Tulsa win gave us a glimpse of where Hawk is taking this program. I think he has his sights firmly set on eventually bringing a FCS National Championship to Davis. Exciting times for Aggie fans!
  • movielover

Stanford 2005
    Nevada Reno (Toomey)
    Tulsa 2021
    UOP - 1981? ( Ken O'Brien)
    UOP - 1986
    San Jose State 2018
    San Jose State 2010
    Kingsville - 1996
    Sac State ?
    Sac State ?
  • DrMike
    beat UOP in 78 31-14 (coach caddis fired end of season). Beat them in 82, 23-22 (coach Toledo fired at end of season). Bob Cade survived the 86 loss.

2006 we beat Montana State 45-0; that was a shocking result . That was a playoff team that beat Colorado two weeks prior.
  • Riveraggie
    In 2005 to 2006 era UCD and Cal Poly were more than equal to Montana and Montana State. Then we both got lost in the wilderness.
  • DrMike
    good point. That was the year we were up on #3 North Dakota state something like 24-3 at half, and lost in the waning seconds.
  • NCagalum
    ….and I am sure you know the Pacific quarterback who both played for and coached the Raiders (and has a couple of super bowl rings).
  • DrMike
    thats when it was COP, quarterbacked by Tom Flores!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!