• CA Forever
    Aggies remain at #10 in the college madness poll. Tough week to try to move up and I imagine that this will be reflected in the other polls to come out. Only teams in the top 10 that lost were against FBS teams and typically aren't dropped much for performance unless it was truly horrific.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fcs-football/top-25-rankings
  • CA Forever
    Aggies move up 1 spot (12 to 11) in the Athlon poll for beating upon a pioneer league team... Yet Montana State moves up 3 (9 to 6) for... Beating up on a pioneer league team :chin:

https://www.athlonsports.com/.amp/college-football/fcs-rankings-top-25-power-poll-following-week-2-2021
  • CA Forever
    As I predicted a tough week to try to move up despite the blowout. Most teams ahead of us won and those that lost were against FBS. Just gotta keep on winning and we'll continue to move up.
  • movielover
    Week #4, Weber, huge. The win over Tulsa was beautiful, setting this up.
  • CA Forever
    Oh absolutely. At this point in time I think the Aggies have the POTENTIAL to go undefeated this season. I'm not saying that they will, but that talent-wise I think it's a possibility. Weber and EWU are the big opportunities to move up on our schedule with most of the other games being must wins to simply not get tanked in the rankings. We don't seem to get the graces that some other teams in the conference get when it comes to record and rankings.
  • movielover
    Very favorable schedule. At SLO, rebuilding year #1. BYE before last 3 games. EWU and Sac at home.
  • CA Forever
    That Weber game in Ogden will be a tough one. We never seem to play particularly well there.
  • agalum
    A win against Weber and EWU would be nice, but if I had to pick one it would be EWU. And their coach- yuck. Reminds me of Mattos.
  • Riveraggie
    This years schedule includes three games against teams that are not in the top 200; according to Sagarin’s rankings. San Diego, Dixie, and SLO.
  • movielover
    Idaho another challenge?
  • 72Aggie
    Hard to put too much faith in polls in the early season especially with everything that has happened and not happened in the last year and a half.

I saw one of the FBS polls where though USC dropped out of the poll's Top 25 they still received something like 39 votes and Stanford, who just decimated USC, received ten????
    https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2021-09-12/college-football-rankings-oregon-iowa-climb-ohio-state-falls-ap-top-25-poll-week-3
  • Riveraggie
    The computer ranking don’t mean much at this point because they took last season as their starting point and last season was so disrupted. For example where should we be ranked compared to Sac which didn’t play. Also some conferences played no out of conference teams so how do you rank teams with no common opponents? In a few weeks they’ll make more sense.because they’ll just use this years results.
  • 72Aggie
    Thanks. So at this point the computers "Artificial Intelligence" is debating with it's "Actual Ignorance."

(I could make a wise(?)crack about the computers being hacked by Trojan U.F.O. Space Lazers, or rigged polling, or poll-voter fraud, but I've said too much already....)
  • NCagalum
    I watched part of the Idaho-Indiana game. Don’t think Idaho has improved any. Think it was 35-0 before Idaho had a first down much because of special team collapses.
  • lucche
    USD has lost both their games so far and Drake has 1 win by a 45-3 score (though not a powerhouse at all). This could have influenced the disparity in the voting for the rankings.

Also, USD does offer football schollies- this from their website:

"This is the University Of San Diego (California) Football scholarship and program information page. Here you can explore important information about University Of San Diego Football. This information is very valuable for all high school student-athletes to understand as they start the recruiting process. University Of San Diego is located in San Diego, CA and the Football program competes in the Pioneer Football League conference.
    University Of San Diego does offer athletic scholarships for Football. Need-based and academic scholarships are available for student-athletes. Athletic scholarships are available for NCAA Division I, NCAA Division II, NAIA and NJCAA. On average, 34% of all student-athletes receive athletic scholarships.

If you are interested in getting recruited by University Of San Diego Football, you should get to know more about the school, what academic programs are offered, and important members of the coaching staff - these are the people you need to connect with. Getting familiar with the Football program is an important first step in the recruiting process.
  • Riveraggie
    in the instance you linked to it actual human votes, which makes it political.
  • movielover
    BREAKING: USC fires head coach.

Wow. 5-1 last year, a few close wins. San Jose State had it close in the 3rd quarter.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Such is life for head coaches at the big money programs. Their worth is primarily calculated in wins. If you don't win enough or even if you don't win big enough, deep pocketed donors often demand a change even if it means buying out multi-million dollar contracts.

It so great to be an Aggie fan where we have such a amazing legacy of coaches who were valued for more than just winning, not that winning wasn't important, it's just that valuing academics and teaching life skills while creating a creating family culture are of equal importance.
  • Riveraggie
    Idaho is a mystery because they will have played no peer games before playing us.
    Nothing can be learned from their game with Simon Frazier. Simon Fraser was DIII last time I paid any attention to them, playing in a conference so small they played home and away games with the other teams. Their coaching staff were mostly used to 12 man rules.
    Idaho got blown out against Indiana and will likely suffer the same fate against Oregon State. Its hard to judge how they’ll look against a team they match up with. We’ll be their first FCS game at homecoming. They have their version of TT, Zach Borisch, who ran for 205 yards against Eastern Washington in the spring but hardly played against Indiana.
  • 72Aggie
    Better to remain silent and have people think I’m stupid than to say something and remove any doubt, eh? Thanks.
  • 72Aggie
    Is it possible that Idaho has found itself in a scheduling mess with the return to FBS? May take a few seasons before they can do something other than hunt and peck for non-conference teams in need of an opponent?
  • Riveraggie
    I’m sure that explains most of it. I guess they’ll assume that Idaho is the same team we played in the spring with the guys they lost to Covid protocols back and also prepare for the running QB to make appearance.
    That makes them sound pretty good.
  • DrMike
    I was much less impressed with their QB than he was. I think he stated he was the best in the conference
  • Goags20172
    According to Simon Fraser's website they have a female kicker, and she was the first Canadian female to score a point in a college football game.

Not bad-looking either. No Kathy Ireland in Necessary Roughness (or is it Unnecessary Roughness ?), but that's a tough act to follow.
  • 72Aggie
    another example of scheduling problems…Simon Fraser plays one time FBS, back again FCS Idaho, then DIII Linfield, both on the road. (Linfield was up 25-0 before SFU scored and their kicker got her shot at Canadian record books. Linfield went on to win, 56-20.) Besides playing in the three team, home and away and home and away GNAC, SFU will also play the Lights of Montana State University-Northern, an NAIA school, on the road.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Massey Ratings Composite of 22 FCS polls has the Aggies at #7.

https://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm
  • movielover
    Great for the team and staff, but I hope we don't get overconfident.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!