• Riveraggie
    I’ve seen rankings in past years that rank by number and types of schools offering scholarships. I think that has more validity. For example Sac has a 3 * qb, but only Sac offered him a scholarship. Davis has a 3 * qb, who had multiple offers, including from Arizona, Their QB is a passer, but is only 5’11.
  • 88Aggie
    I thought they only counted HS recruits and the number of recruits had a big impact. So a small but quality class would not get a good ranking.
  • Riveraggie
    Is this ranking from 247? It seems to be from Sidelines, whoever that is.
  • CA Forever
    They put 247 in parenthesis so I'm assuming that's where they got their rankings.
  • movielover
    Weren't the Fighting Campbell Camels highly rated several years?
  • CA Forever
    Sounds like Damon Wrighster is going to be graduating high school early and will be on campus at the start of the year.

• 88Aggie
    Good. Sounds like he hopes to start as a freshman and go four years! I like the confidence.
  • CA Forever
    Who knows what kind of chance he has to start, but if there was a time for a true freshman to make a move for starter it would be with a new regime and a new playbook with everyone starting on the same page. Getting to campus early does show that he wants to get to work ASAP.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The photo is the upper right of the 3 photos is his father signing a letter of intent 24 years ago. His father is George Wrightster III who played for Oregon and was drafted in the 4th round of the NFL draft in 2003 as a TE for the Jacksonville Jaguars. He played for the Jaguars for 6 years before being waived in 2009. After his football career he entered the field of sports broadcasting. Pretty cool!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wrighster
  • agalum
    Now that’s some great UCDNA! Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    For sure! I would imagine we'll get some good broadcast media from his father as well!
  • Riveraggie

Do they still fax these letters in?
    I think the only one QB plays philosophy is outdated. I’d like to see Davis use two QBs, like Sac, Montana State, Idaho State and others did this last year.
    Its impressive how many FBS offers Damon had.
    I bet the playbook is still mostly what it was in 2020 when Plough departed,
  • 69aggie
    I do not think that the two quarterback system is the future.
    For one, it becomes very predictable with the analytics of the game.
    For two, it undermines your leadership of the team I.e. who the best leader?
    Three, no ranking big five uses it
    Four, no NFL team uses it
    OK Sac has done ok with this system for now but will not do well long term
    Because how do do recruit a gifted QB and tell him he will be a part time player?
    Very hard to do. Can it happen? Maybe but I don’t think so.
  • movielover

We don't play many RBs or QBs. I don't buy into that old philosophy of giving 95% of the reps to one player. 2s and 3s need PT, development, motivation.

We don't play just one point guard in basketball, two forwards. Castles said the tempo at Tennesse was so rapid they had to substitute to keep guys fresh.

I'm not suggested a 50 / 50 split, but guys need work... unless they're not giving 100% in.practice . We recruited a lot of QBs the past 6 or so years who rarely played. Did we recruit that poorly, or not develop them?

Edit: there may be some carryover from Hawkins (offense). Hopefully we bring back the faster pace so the D is caught off guard.
  • 88Aggie
    I never thought we were going to do well with Hastings at QB, so I don’t have a lot of hope for the guys already on the roster who couldn’t beat him out of the job. If a freshman came in and stole the job, maybe there is hope.
  • CA Forever
    I'm not a particularly huge fan of dual QB systems. Some teams have found success with it recently, but I just don't think it's the future of college football. I think 69 brought up a great point in that it will make it harder to recruit QBs in the long run if we're running with multiple QBs.

I've said before (probably too many times) that I would just prefer a QB with a complete skill set. I'm not saying that they have to be an elite passer and runner because if they were they would be at an Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, etc. but today's game has shifted towards having QBs that can scramble or even take designed runs.

Now obviously highlights are only going to show... highlights, but Wrighster's tape at least gave us looks that he has an arm and can use his legs to extend plays or go for yards. It will definitely be interesting to see how Plough evaluates our current QB situation.
  • 88Aggie
    Wrightster’s release is a little slow. He has a bit of a windup. I imagine they can work on that.
  • Riveraggie
    The scenario below is possible if the QB job is handed exclusively to one guy. This isn’t the only scenario, maybe both guys aren’t remotely comparable in ability and giving the job to one or the other full time is the only choice. But assume that it would be reasonable to play either guy.
    Hastings wins the job, Wrighster redshirts. Hastings returns to the level of play he had in 2022, before the departure of the offensive coordinator and QB coach. We have a productive offense based on running the football and short passes. Hastings plays until the end of the season when Davis drops out of playoff contention, as the defense isn’t as good as the last year due to personnel loses. We end the 2024 season with very limited returning QB experience and also two prominent running backs graduate.
    However they choose to do it they should develop a new QB, by getting him some playing time,
  • movielover
    Agreed. When we're up 2 or 3 scores, at the end of the half, or getting torched, give the backup PT. Don't forget redshirting players can play in 4 games and now the postseason.

MH isn't Kenny O, but there were many places where if a few small changes happened, we have another victory, we're in the playoffs, and likely win a first round game. LL injury, curious play calling. We didn't have a standout receiver or TE. We didn't seem to run the fly sweep (or decoy) or uptempo much.
  • CA Forever
    There's a difference between putting in a back up when a game is out of hand one way or the other versus a dual QB system. I have no problems pulling a starter once the game has been decided.
  • 69aggie
    Well, I say we turn to the running back position where we thankfully do not have a problem. The following is just my opinion. I 0think that the coaches did not anticipate how fast LL would develop coming into this season; that is into an elite D1 running back by anyone’s definition. So their focus was on MH and the development thereof. Like many on this site I think that the Former OC was not on top of this situation and did not help things with the lack of development of the WRs and TEs and that MH was not at his best with the progressions necessary for playing his position because of the lack of coaching. Opponents saw the weakness.. Next season we have a whole different situation. Opponents will be forced to key on LL and allow a lot of play action for MH. We will have a much better WR corps with the addition of Robbie Mascheroni and Malachi Bean-Seay to the lineup.
    As a follow up I will add that this season was extremely difficult for Hawk due to his son leaving and becoming a coach of an adversary Big Sky team WHICH HE KNEW HE WOULD HAVE TO PLAY!
    That this was a distraction would be a great understatement.
    Love the Hawk and his whole family and wish them all well for the future.
    Merry Christmas to all,of you!
  • Riveraggie

I think they knew what they had with Larison. I recall the coach who recruited him predicted we’d win a championship with him. 2023 was his fourth year with the team, so they knew.
    I think Hastings inconsistent play was unexpected. They had changed the environment for Hastings when his position coach and offensive coordinator left. They brought in a qb coach from the North Texas who had previously worked under an offensive coordinator / offensive line coach. That offensive coordinator is now the offensive coordinator at Cal.
  • 69aggie
    River, LL played behind the all time best UC Davis RB in UG. They had to play UG every down as long as he could stand up. How could they have ever had known how good LL really was during the UG days while UG was playing (exceptionally well) almost every down until this season? No, I think that the real depth of LLs talent did not become apparent to the staff until the start of this season. And we did not have the right coaching staff to blend LL and MH into an effective combination. Just plain inadequate or bad coaching in my view. Recall beginning of last season all the spotlights were on TT as the so called “magic man”? Back then there was barely a mention of LL, it was all on TT who actually did deserve the attention. I reiterate, the season was lost because of poor or inadequate coaching and a very distracted head coach who had no time or inclination to make the hard decisions that were necessary at the time. IMHO.
    Love the Hawk!
  • movielover
    You think his son leaving was that difficult for him?

A lot of Davis coaches were sheltered for decades (never leaving). FB and BB coaches typically move a lot, and learn new systems. Hawk was unusual in that Foster, Speckman, Peterson, and Cody were often on staff. Hawk even had Sam Young back here.
  • 69aggie
    Movie: yes. And he has said as much in so many words, especially regarding the Idaho State game which he described as “the hardest game I ever coached” and he is well past the point in his life where he has to look forward to that again every couple of years.
  • NCagalum
    Merry Christmas to all!
  • DavisAggie
    Did we not sign any JUCO's?
  • agalum

I think the next signing date is when we see the transfers.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!