• UCDAggieUCD
    Same with the PWO's.
  • Riveraggie
    This past season we got two transfers who started for Davis and their was never any announcement of them joining the team.
    Lamont Shamburger was still being recruited by D2 schools in June, he didn’t even tweet that he had an offer from Davis, so perhaps he walked on, but he started the first game for Davis in August.
  • CA Forever
    New offer on 3 star ATH Jalen Harris from Berkeley High School! GO AGS!

• 69aggie
    What is the difference between a preferred walk on and a walk on if any?
  • CA Forever
    As far as I understand a preferred walk on is still an offer from the school. Something along the lines of "we would really like for you to play for us but we don't quite have a scholarship available". Whereas a walk on is you're a freshman on campus and just walk to Plough's office and ask if you can join the team. I had a roommate freshman year who did that and actually went to a couple of practices before basically being cut.
  • Riveraggie
    I assume preferred walk-ons get assistance with admission. Might be able to get into school without meeting application deadlines etc.
  • movielover
    Cal offered him a year ago, SJSU, Columbia, SLO. On Plough's radar?
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I'm not sure if Preferred Walk-ons get better pass times for classes? They can be admitted easier and get access to practice and resources that schollie athletes get,
  • movielover
    Free Midnight donuts at Tercero.
  • 69aggie
    Great story in the New York Times today about what NIL and the so called collectives are doing to college football; I.e how a Texas lineman is making $50,000 a year to play football! Should donations to a collective be tax deductible as a 501(c)(3) non profit organization? IRS has issued a memo saying in effect “No”. Can a football collective withstand Title IX? Doubtful. I have not checked all the Big Sky programs but so far Sac, Montana and Montana state have announced that their NIL collectives are up, and running. I assume that we are eventually going to do the same. If the moral and ethical justification for NIL is that universities should not make money from an athletic program and not pay the student athletes who generate that money, what about a university that makes no money from say football or basketball players? This is not addressed in article.
  • Riveraggie
    I can see the point that athletes who’s name or likeness have a significant value should get some compensation for the use in marketing. But these collectives are just slush funds used to hire athletes, irrespective of marketability. Take the guys who transfer from Big Sky schools to major FBS teams for a year. They aren’t going to sell a lot of shirts and stuff because they have little name recognition with the fans of their new school.
  • blueforce
    I'm not sure if this is still accurate, but PWOs are de facto on the team (get the benefits re: admission, classes, housing) and they're like other redshirts, although some join the team in week 1, after Fall camp. "Regular" walk-ons join winter workouts after the season and try out for the team in spring. Maybe 10 would try out, and one would make it.
  • 69aggie
    River, I agree and I think this is why the IRS will find that collectives do not fit the mold of 501c3. There’s nothing charitable about what they do and they are there just to be able to pay college athletes cash money. That is, cash money that helps the teams succeed and in turn make more money for the college; I.e. make more of a profit.
  • NCagalum
    100% correct about real “commercial value” but rather slush funds from collectives to “hire” players in an attempt to buy championships.
  • lucche
    Well, it looks like playing football is either a job or they should have to pay for their tuition. If it is a job. The admissions go out the window and you just pay kids to play football representing the school.
    It sure isn't about education anymore. So, let's not pretend.
  • CA Forever
    Cal DB grad transfer, Tyson McWilliams, picks up an offer from the Ags. I would have to go back and double check, but I believe that we offered McWilliams out of high school.

• BlueGoldAg
    His X account shows that we offered him back in May 2019. He had a lot of offers early on from the Ivies and the service academies before the bigger programs started recruiting him: San Diego State, Cal, Iowa State, Nebraska, Utah State, Hawaii, Wyoming, Colorado State, Brigham Young, Nevada and Oregon State. It's great that he has 2 years of eligibility left. He'd be a great get for the Aggies.
  • CA Forever
    New offer on 3 star LB transfer from the University of Washington, Austin Harnetiaux! GO AGS!

• CA Forever
    DB Tyson McWilliams commits to the Ags! Nice pick up for Plough!

• CA Forever
    New offer on Citrus College LB Chandler Carthan. He was previously committed to SUU in 2022 before going to the JUCO route.

• AggieFinn
    With Teddye and Tatt gone it's wide open at the LB position for playing time.
  • Riveraggie
    Not to mention Nick Eaton and a couple of frequently played reserves.
  • movielover
    Why didn't we offer this guy?

Santa Rosa Junior College wide receiver Isaac Torres, a first-team all-state selection for Regional 1, committed to Cal as a walk-on this week.

Torres excelled at Santa Rose JC. He caught 51 passes for 872 yards and eight touchdowns in eight games this past season, and his 109 receiving yards per game ranked third in the state.
  • blueforce
    Not sure, but historically Cal had way more flexibility to get athletes past academic admissions hurdles.
  • CA Forever
    QB Caden Pinnick commits to UC Davis! That makes 2 dual threat guys coming in this class.

• CA Forever
    Another offer on a JUCO LB Cyrus Durham. Clearly an area of need identified by the new staff.

• Kerberos
    Just watched this Fox40 interview of Caden Pinnick … he’s a 3 sport athlete (football, basketball, baseball) and wants to play all 3 in college. Is that even possible? Would Les consider something like that?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SbbGNUxkUaY
  • CA Forever
    I doubt that it happens, but you never know I guess
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!