• CA Forever
    Couple more coaching additions. New special teams coordinator coming in from Penn State and new CB coach from Midwestern State. GO AGS!

• Riveraggie
    During Plough’s local TV interview on the day of his introductory press conference he said they had an offensive coordinator “in place” that he couldn’t name who had aggie ties. Now this article says the staff is complete.
  • CA Forever
    I had the same thoughts when I read that his staff was completed. Maybe Plough will be handling the duties himself? He certainly has Aggie ties lol
  • Riveraggie
    Plough doing offensive coordinator, QB coach and head coach seems a little too much for a first year HC.
  • CA Forever
    I was mostly joking and don't disagree. Just seems strange that there was no real announcement or statement on OC whereas Plough was very clear that Coombs was staying on as DC.
  • Riveraggie
    We will see. Plough was clear in the interview that he had someone lined up.
    The associate head coach moved on, they let the QB coach go, they have a bunch of young QBs to develop, and they have new young coaches to get oriented. Seems they at least need a QB coach if not an offensive coordinator. On the other hand, they do have guys on staff coaching other positions who’ve coached QBs elsewhere. When is Spring practice?
  • agalum
    I think we’ll find out February 7th. If OC isn’t mentioned, I’ll ask him, wink.
  • CA Forever
    Coaching staff has been updated on the athletics site... no OC listed

https://ucdavisaggies.com/sports/football/coaches
  • agalum
    I wonder if we’ll hear about the OC position tonight? I might ask if its not mentioned.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Will you be attending tonight's event, agalum? Let us know what you hear if you are able to attend.
  • Riveraggie
    Ask about the QB coach too, whether Plough plans to coach the QBs.
    Just seems like being a position coach as well as OC and HC is too much.
  • agalum

Yes, wife and i will be there. I have several questions to ask. I’m hoping i can visit with our new coach before things get rolling - i certainly don’t want to put him on guard, especially with the OC position. Recall at the presser the announcement on the OC was a big secret. I’m still wondering if the OC is Plough?
  • CA Forever
    I saw your post in the recruiting thread. Any other details from the evening?
  • AggieFinn
    Yup, still no offensive coordinator on the coaching list.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Maybe it's that lineman that never made it into the program.
  • agalum
    Well, now that the super bowl is over and collegiate signing deadlines are in the past, what other commitment could our mysterious OC have preventing an announcement?
  • CA Forever
    Looks like Plough is going to need to find a new special teams coordinator already. Eric Raisbeck announced on Twitter that he is going to be headed to Wisconsin. Football coaching is a game of taking opportunities when they come to you, but still kind of a bummer to take a position and then ditch it dang near immediately.
  • blueforce
    Especially a bummer given that we'll need to perpetuate the vicious cycle and convince someone else to leave their job and join us. Luckily there are so many good coaches in the Davis network at all levels, hopefully we can pluck someone good.
  • Riveraggie
    Worst case scenario is they have Hicks in that role again. Davis got outplayed on special teams returns, but how much of that is the coach? Maybe I’ve forgotten some other failures.

Coaching roles where it isn’t clear who is currently filling them and they might want to add to staff.
    Offensive Coordinator, QB coach, special teams coordinator, offensive quality control.
  • movielover
    Lamont Schamburger DB was a walk on, and receives a scholarship.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4v7libvB-1/?igsh=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==
  • Riveraggie

I guess they needed to decide that after spring practice, but the guy should have received some recognition earlier. If they had post season awards like they used to, he might have been transfer of the year. It’s not common to have transfers start their first game, after showing up just that summer.
    I didn’t know he walked on.
  • movielover
    An impressive 4th on the team in tackles (45) with 1 pick.
  • Riveraggie
    Less than four months before football season which means there will be pre-season rankings by various publications starting in a month. Davis hasn’t provided the resources needed to gain votes. If you look at the schedule if they don’t start out with a win over Cal, they don’t have opportunities to get a quality win until the end of the season. Might be another year where we beat some ranked team end of year and they still get into the playoffs ahead of us.
    The team hasn't revealed a roster. It hasn't updated player bios. The stats don't correctly list starters for the 2023 season. They haven't said which transfers participated in Spring.drills . There is no team website, social media, local paper, or even student newspaper coverage of the team this spring. In its place they promoted game atmosphere.
    Hawkins was a personality that drew interest to the team. Plough isn’t that kind of personality and the sports information officer, if there is one, isn’t up to the task.
  • blueforce
    I share your frustration but I also know some coaches who would say: the less information our competitors can use to plan against us, the better. And if you win enough, you don't need hype.

We haven't won enough, so some additional hype sure would have been nice ;)
  • movielover
    It looks like there has been turnover in comms staff. We have at least 3 FT staff, two fellows, social media, and the Senior Ass AD for External Relations, Danielle Shank. Call it 6.5 FT staff. Robles and Honbo covered it with two.

Jeff Rebellow has been here since Jan 2023 and is listed as the primary football comm person.

The second primary 'football contact' has a soccer and baseball background. "David Collins joined UC Davis as the Director of Athletics Communications on Apr. 8, 2024."

JD Micro has no bio, but looks like he is a 2022 baseball alum.

Ellen Holton has been named the Assistant Athletic Director for Social Media and Communications as of June 2023, and Jody Steliga provides athletic dept creative services.

You'd figure the #1 sport would get coverage. I don't understand why FB doesn't have highlight clips of exciting plays.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/staff-directory
123456Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!