• CA Forever
    I've been away from the computer today, but the list has been updated with all of the info that we've been able to gather. This is looking like a killer recruiting class! Excited about bringing in multiple QBs to compete and Carter Vargas' tape looks like the real deal.
  • CA Forever
    And thanks to everyone for their help in finding recruits! GO AGS!
  • movielover
    Thank you sir!

Fourteen 3-star commits. I bet the Edwards Athletic Facility helped swing some.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Many thanks for keeping the recruiting thread alive and updated each year. It's one of the most popular topics on this forum every year. Time for all of to start snooping around for possible 2024 recruits. Go Ags!
  • DavisAggie
    ok so who went to this and found out who the OC is going to be?
  • Riveraggie
    The Davis Enterprise described Carter Vargas’s weight at 160, which is 40lbs under his weight on recruiting sites, or his signing day weight on UCD. While he is definitely elusive he isn’t small.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/offense-is-the-aggie-football-theme-on-nli-day/article_f6aa4eba-c62b-11ee-8f3e-fbcdb4087c1b.html
  • DrMike
    Apparently Zach Kennedy is back. Good news
  • agalum
    I was at the event last night. Coach is extremely pleased with the recruiting class as well as the assembled assistant coaches. Spring practice starts in a few days and he has an open door policy for fans to attend. The spring game is 3/9. He plans for it to be a game day type event with tailgating and food served. He did not introduce his OC yet.
  • CA Forever
    We have a late addition! 3 star DB Elijah Brown picks the Ags!

• movielover
    Sweet! Two 6'2" DBs (can they cover?), a 6'5" LB (edge rusher?), and several tall DL, two mobile QBs, and Zach Kennedy & Lan Larrison back!

Fifteen 3-star commits. I think the Edwards Athletic Facility has paid huge dividends.
  • CA Forever
    Definitely looking like a deep recruiting class. Testimony to the ground work that Hawk started and the energy that Plough is bringing to the table. We didn't lose a single commit that we had when the coaching change happened. I don't know if we will have any immediate starters, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were. Plough isn't necessarily committed to the current returning starters and will likely have different evaluations than Hawk up and down the depth chart. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
  • movielover
    Just with a healthy Lan Larison for a whole schedule (knock on wood) - we're dangerous. But we lost some key men on defense.
  • DavisAggie
    Kennedy was the most important "recruit" of the off-season
  • AggieFinn
    Vargas is a bigger back, no question.
  • Riveraggie
    Very shifty though. His twitter page says
    “ 208LB 4.5 (40) going to shock lots of people this year !”
  • AggieFinn
    Hoping Kennedy has a massive year. Obviously, offensive lines will roll their chips and blocking packages to secure him, but coming into his what senior year? Guy should be primed for his big reveal for pro scouts.
  • NCagalum
    absolutely. Defense was was good last year and I always believe defense keeps you in games. Don’t think the Ags would have had 7 wins last year without the defense they had. Kennedy was a major contributor to that.
  • Riveraggie

With Kennedy, 2024 defense will have a two 6 year and a 5 year player as returning starters on the line. Toki started three games,.That is probably the most veteran defensive line in school history.
    All the starting linebackers graduated, Eaton, Tattersall, Buchanan, and frequently used Frazier and Mouiset. That is a lot to lose at one level of the defense. They return Cloyd and Porter Connors.
    The defensive secondary starters all return.
    They will need some contributors from the new recruits, particularly at linebacker.
    They are going to be a smaller defense.
  • movielover
    The thin LB group doesn't make sense. We missed out on 3 JC / FBS LB transfers. Are we converting DBs to LB? Or do we think the young, small LBs we have are studs?
  • CA Forever
    Like River said, I think we're going to have to see some of the young guys on the field right away.
  • movielover
    Yes. Unless we land a couple of transfers, we'll need the freshman LBs to play. (They all have size.)
  • Riveraggie
    Porter Connors is a stud. Cloyd is a veteran. Luca Sarac has started at the Rush position when they don’t start five DBs. Grant Garretson Is a JC transfer from last year who is a senior and is big. There will be some lower classman who hasn’t played much that will get a chance. They likely won’t be as tough to run up the middle against as last year, and we also lost two big nose guards.
  • movielover
    I thought Cloyd graduated? Good call on GG and Sarac - they don't show up on the 2023 roster.
  • Riveraggie

Luca and Grant are listed as outside linebackers. Cloyd’s status I don’t know. He was said to be a junior last year.
  • blueforce
    It's annoying that 247sports didn't have a lot of the guys we signed in their database (and hence their rankings for FCS all seem off)
  • movielover
    Do they only count numbers, or also stars?
  • Riveraggie
    They purport to rank every player with a numerical score.
    They have some of our signees scored but not credited to Davis.
    They are still adding people.

They think Jalen Harris is the top recruit ever, even better than a safety we had who never saw playing time.
  • 69aggie
    Jalen Harris. Looking at his clips I would have to agree that highlight film is hardly the way you’d recruit a player. But his is is pretty good nonetheless. His stats on the other hand are very impressive as is his speed. Very very elusive as well. What Larison has brought as he matured is a mix of Ulo elusive ability and speed. Ulo was fast but not at LL’s level. JH has LL speed and maybe a tad more. Being so close at Berkeley he was probably very well scouted. So I am not surprised that the coaching staff is very happy to get him. I can’t wait to see him play!
  • Riveraggie
    247 Sports is so bad at rating these players, they should stop trying.
    Example: Kyle Hill is listed on their site as 6’4” 180lb. No stars. Offered by Fresno State and San Jose State. He weighs 215 or 220 on other sources which is consistent with the offers he had. Missed his entire junior season, so that probably comtributes to 247 not rating him hightly.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2023/11/24/xavier-prep-football-star-kyle-hill-commits-to-uc-davis/71693244007/
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!