• 69aggie
    Hate to be a bringer of possible bad news, but a quick reading of the UC Davis sports eligibility policy website says that if an infraction of the law occurs by a student athlete it will be referred to the Student Judicial Council for review and for any action to be taken. The student athletes rights will be protected in the process. Only in paragraph 6 does it seem to state that if the infraction involves a student athlete “charged” with a felony is immediate suspension required. I don’t purport to be an expert on the subject, but it does not look good for Chima by my quick reading of the rules. Then again the delay may just be the judicial council getting involved and there apparently is no police report which is good. I sincerely hope that I am completely wrong! Seems very out of character for this impresssive young man.
  • True Blue Aggie
    you are correct. my apologies. i wasn't paying proper attention.
  • 72Aggie
    Don't know a thing or have any inside information as to what happened over the weekend, but have some experience with criminal law (not as a participant...)

What does the student handbook say about lesser offenses; misdemeanors, infractions or violations of the rules not amounting to a crime? (Curfew, drinking other than by a minor, missing a practice, disobeying a coach, we could go on and I don't want to keep tossing out hypothetical examples for fear of spreading fake news....) A felony may require immediate suspension, but do other types of misconduct allow suspension within the discretion of a coach or the athletic department?

If a felony were involved, it is not likely he would be on a plane back to Davis, but more likely he would have been on the way to the local jail...and there would be some public records by now.

Or it could be potential felony conduct and the law enforcement agency was not ready to make an arrest at the time.

Moreover we don't know that there is not a police report. Offense reports take time and are not generally public records.

What I am trying to say is that 'we don't know what we don't know,' and are probably better off waiting until the facts sort themselves out.

None of us want this to be a serious breach of some rule...for the team, the school and mostly for the people immediately involved. On the other hand none of us want UCD to be like Michigan State and see things like this swept under the rug.

There,...clear as mud.

Fingers crossed.

Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    Let’s pumps the brakes a bit and see what transpires.
  • 69aggie
    I totally agree; but i will say if there was a felony charge there would have been a booking and that would be public record. That there IS NOT is a great sign that this is not the situation at all. So, no further comment until we hear the facts.
  • movielover
    Chima Moneke Story, I hadn't seen this 4 minute special, very nice.

https://youtu.be/pB2bwwDoGWs
  • BlueGoldAg
    Great video story on Chima!
  • aggie08
    Great vids, great story. Hoping this is just a small roadblock for him and it’s nothing too serious. We all make mistakes, we live and we learn. Tough waiting on this one. Let’s see what comes out of this
  • 69aggie
    Does Chima play on? Absolutely no reason now to announce before the SB game. Make SB prep for any situation that plays out. Does anyone know if he is practicing?
  • Gauchofreg
    I heard Chima and Jalen Canty are on a plane to Australia with a plan for a walkabout to contemplate the consequences of their actions.
  • movielover
    I hear the Gauchos lead the UC in underwater basket weaving classes.
  • Toke69
    This story is from the Davis Enterprise: https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/reason-for-moneke-suspension-remains-a-mystery/ . It states that the University has not disclosed what Chima did, but the article does note that Coach Les made the decision to suspend him. It was not the result of any University action. Finally, the story states that the University's Judicial Affairs Office in handling the situation and that they are trying to talk to people in Southern California. I presume that means the staff of Warner Center Marriott where the team was staying.
  • movielover
    "...As to the length of the suspension, given that there is barely a month left in the season, Les couldn’t provide an answer. But it seems certain that Moneke will not be in uniform for Thursday night’s showdown with UC Santa Barbara at The Pavilion."

Hang in there, guys! You too, Chima ... we're all human.

#AggiePride
  • BlueGoldAg
    Jalen Canty, UCSB's 6'8 big man, has been indefinitely suspended also and it is unknown if he will play on Thursday either.
  • Gauchofreg
    Basket weaving smack? Really? I'm old too but I don't go declaring it message boards.
  • Toke69
    Goaags, this is really funny. You should write for comedy shows.
  • Goags20172
    Except that you just did.
  • Gauchofreg
    Well done Goags, I'll blame it on senior moment.
    Since you guys want to compare academics, here you go:
    UCSB #8, Davis #12
    https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public
    UCSB #18, Davis #26
    https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/top-public-universities/?page=2
    UCSB #17 Davis #21
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/anismuslimin/2017/08/02/top-25-public-colleges-in-the-u-s-2017/2/#659692f04fd7

Maybe if you guys had paid more attention in your basket weaving classes your arguments would be more water tight.

Ole!
  • Gauchofreg
    Maybe if you were paying attention you would have noticed that I included UCSB's Jalen Canty, also suspended for some unknown violation of team rules, in the playful walk-about. It wasn't smack, you just have translucent skin.
  • 69aggie
    This an example of thread that has gone really bad. Now we are reduced to Comparing rankings between two of the best public’s in the nation. This is just rediculous. Dig enough and you will find a poll that supports any position you want!
  • DrMike
    Isn’t gaucho the guy who posted the in depth matchup on the other thread? Nicely done
  • aggie6thman
    I'm assuming no Chima tomorrow night?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Gauchofreg and gauchodan are good folks, Goags20172, and they do a great job over on the Big West Boards and the Gaucho forums. I think the back and forth banter isn't meant to be trolling and disparaging.

Gauchofreg asked me to write about the Aggies with respect to the big upcoming game and I appreciated that he wanted the Gaucho fans to be able to know more about the Aggies. I also invited any Gaucho fans to come over to our forum to talk about the game and I like it that our forum is a very welcoming group that isn't interested in talking smack.

I appreciate that you keep us very informed about Aggie baseball and I enjoy your offbeat sense of humor when you're feeling creative.

I'd like for fans of our opponents to feel welcome to come over to our forum and share their thoughts.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It's sure looking that way, 6th. This is a sad situation for everyone especially Chima's teammates. I'm sure they're crushed considering the possibility that he may not get reinstated at all. This team has worked so hard to get to where they are right now and I'm sure they had dreams of going back to the Big Dance. Although that's certainly not out of the realm of possibilities, the path sure has gotten a lot more difficult. It's really such a shame.
  • movielover
    Why are we so limited numerically? Roster shows 14, Chima out we're at 13.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!