• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies return home for only the 3rd time in 15 games when the welcome Utah Valley to the Pavilion for a 2 pm New Years Eve game. This is the final OOC game as league play starts next week. These two teams are 2-2 all time and they appear to be evenly matched so I expect this will be another close game for the Aggies.

The Wolverines have a nice win over BYU 114-101 and played both Utah and Utah State tough before losing to both in close games. They average 80 ppg and spread the scoring out with 4 players averaging double digits and 2 more averaging 8+. Neither team has a significant size advantage but UV does have a 6'11 post who is their second leading scorer.

The Ags played well for most of the game in a nice win at Seattle in their last outing. They would dearly love to put together a solid 40 minutes and head into league play with a winning record.

Tip off in the Pavilion at 2 pm Saturday.

Live stream from Big West TV: http://www.bigwest.org/tv/

Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    i'll be there. grad at 11:30 to watch the first half of the Wash-Bama game then head over to the pavillion. tough opponent especially for a weird 2:00 new year's eve tipoff. they are coming off a win over Riverside (who looks bad this year), and we're coming off a nice win over Seattle. Looking forward to seeing them in person for the first time.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Bring us some luck, DrMike. I'm going to miss this one. I've got a big "honey do" list tomorrow since we host a New Years Eve dinner party each year. Too bad since the only other two home games were against Holy Names and William Jessop. How's that for some exciting scheduling?!!
  • aggie6thman
    UVU also lost to Weber by 8.
  • aggie6thman
    Honey do lists...aren't they great? :-O
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yup...I o'k with them...but do we need to start worrying about the list 3 or 4 days in advance...? :-}
  • aggie6thman
    Depends on how many times you are reminded that the list exists...
  • BlueGoldAg
    Haha...I have been accused of having selective short term memory! But, I blame it on my declining hearing! ;)
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags lead by 10 at the half 39-29.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags get a good win over Utah Valley 83-69. They now have 2 nice wins heading into league next week.
  • PortlandAggie
    Great for our confidence going into league play

I noticed Seattle beat UCSB
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yes, SB had Seattle down by 15 with 9+ left and ended up getting beat by 4 at home. Seattle made a similar comeback against the Aggies when the we had a 16 point lead with 9+ left and they cut it to 4 but we hung on and got the win in Seattle. Looks like the Ags and UCSB will be a toss up next Wednesday.
  • aggie6thman
    Very nice. Winning your last two OOC games is always a big plus.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Really good win by the Ag. Not just the win, but being in control just about the entire game. Chima is tough to stop down low, and when they double teamed him, he made some nice passes to the off side. Today we hit the open 3's.

At the beginning of the season, my son and I figured we'd be either 8-7 or 9-6 going into the Big West play. We finished 8-7, and though we lost a couple that we should have won, I can't complain too much. Now the real season starts.

Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    i was there yesterday, and thought the Ags played really well. only had one short period in the 2nd half where the offense bogged down, letting them cut the lead fro 14 to 7; else, good movement, good shot selection, really good ball control. we had 5 guys in double figures, and matched them on the boards despite their size advantage. JT was very solid on both ends of the floor, and that's always a good thing to see. if we can move the ball like that, limit the turnovers, and shoot like that, we'll do well in the Big West. Very entertaining performance.

As an aside, we were sitting in the courtside leather seats (a thank you from the department), and that was really cool. you really get to appreciate the speed and quickness of the players, and get a great view of the offensive flow. we were pretty tough on defense all game -> really limited the number of easy shots. lots of hard work, lot of communication, and good effort on the boards to limit them to single shots. Looking forward to getting up for a few Saturday night games in the new year.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Great to hear about how well the Ags played from your perspective on the floor. I was able to watch the game on Big West TV while still getting my 'honey do" list done. I think you summed up what I was seeing as well.

The defensive intensity has been there most of the year but the offense has not been as reliable. I think Les really has the team taking pride in being good defenders. If we can bring solid defense each game and shoot a decent percentage, we are going to be a tough out in conference.

The conference will probably be a topsy-turvy affair as usual. I'd like to see us hold home court advantage and then steal a few on the road.

Some folks over on the Big West Boards think that Moneke could be the POY in the Big West. If he keeps up with those double doubles they just might be right.

I'm looking forward to UCSB and Poly next week.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!