• DrMike
    apparently, 'Bright Out' does mean where white/bright/neon. A more PC-version of 'White Out'.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Here's another vote for Bob Williams as the color commentator for the Aggie radio broadcast. Scott Marsh does a nice job of the play-by-play call but Williams really adds in-depth insight into the finer points of the game. The back and forth discussion by Les and Williams in the post-game was outstanding and we've never had that kind of knowledgeable, basketball analysis before. It was really interesting.

Bob was talking about how well the Aggie defense had played and noted that there were only a couple of times were they lost focus and broke down. He noted that, at one point, Les called timeout and "got their attention" and they got right back on track. He also said that there was a point in the game where CSUN knocked down a few 3's to keep within striking distance and said that happened because the Ags were getting the wrong matchup at the time.

Williams has a sense of humor also. At one point he was joking with Les about how intense Les is during the game and said it would be something to see Les and Russ Turner (Irvine's coach) going at it in the cage together (referring to an MMA fight ring). Pretty funny stuff...
  • BlueGoldAg
    Les comments on the game:

"Everyone is playing really hard on the defensive end of the floor and bought in. We are receiving contributions from a lot of different places and this team is playing hard," said head coach Jim Les. "And they are playing together.

"Holding three teams in a row under 60 points in our league, which has some really good offensive players, is a unique feat."

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2019/2/13/mens-basketball-uc-davis-returns-home-extends-overall-win-streak-to-four-games.aspx
  • DrMike
    "At one point he was joking with Les about how intense Les is during the game and it would be something to see Les and Russ Turner (Irvine's coach) going at it in the cage together (referring to an MMA fight ring). "

i'd put my money on Turner; he had reach AND he, at times, looks like he's on the brink of a full-blown eruption! I've sat behind the UCI bench a few times, and he's pretty entertaining!
  • agalum
    Part of the lure to get my wife to go to MBB games is the fact that she really likes watching Coach Les's expressions and body language. I'd like to see the data from his garmin watch on how many steps he takes per game, lol. He paces back and forth like a tiger.
  • MTBAggie
    Not a "team" national championship, but Derek Moore did win UCD's only D1 national championship in 2007. Not only national champ, but undefeated and voted most outstanding wrestler of the tournament. Too bad Davis dropped the program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwOe1XdNU5k
  • quadshock
    M O M E N T U M

Sounds like being defensive minded always pays off, even if it takes a brutal first 2/3 of the season!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I think that a good defense requires all 5 players on the court working together. If even one guy forgets an assignment or just is not completely focused on his responsibility, than the entire defense breaks down and you end up giving the other team an easy open shot. That complete team defensive concept takes time to develop. I was hoping that, with 4 returning starters, we'd be farther along this year. Some teams overcome that lack of defensive cohesion by just outscoring their opponent. We don't have that type of offensive firepower, so we basically lose (at least to good D1 teams) until we get the defense rolling. It's rolling now!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Spot on. Les has made me a believer in the defense first and foremost strategy. Defense can keep you in the game even when the offense is struggling. Our defense is really good right now and our offense is getting better with each game. Good shooting is often as much mental as it is physical talent. Good shooters can get in a mental rut and it affects their stroke when the shots don't drop. When shooters get in a groove their shots are more natural and fluid and their confidence grows. Mooney and Gonzalez are great examples of that right now.
  • 69aggie
    Intensity? No one was as intense as Ham in a close game! He really did need that towel for a reason.
  • movielover
    Footwork always important, crouch, defensive stance, not flat footed.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ham was intensity personified!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Here is a link to some nice photos from the game by Adam Abridge:

https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Sports/Basketball/Mens-Basketball/UC-Davis/2018-2019-Season/2019-02-13-CSUN-vs-UCD-Men/i-sKxcVJ6

You can see Chima Moneke sitting on the baseline near the Aggie bench in photos 7-9. Chima played in 11 games with Denain ASC Voltaire in France and averaged 10.3 ppg with 5.6 rebounds per game while shooting 54% as a starter. It was great seeing him back in Davis.

• Oldbanduhalum
    I though I saw Chima at the game, but was too far away to be absolutely sure. He was (as always) totally into the game. Sort of reminded me of the year that he red-shirted. My son and I would always comment about that big guy on the bench who was such a positive cheerleader. We didn't know, at the time, just how impactful he'd be on the court.
  • DrMike
    is that you sitting by the band? I thought I remembered you saying that’s your spot. Lots of room to spread out
  • BlueGoldAg
    A member of the Big West Boards says that Bob Williams is living in the gated community of Lake of the Pines north of Auburn. That's a pretty long 63 mile, one and a half hour drive to Davis in the best of weather.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Yep that's me, although I sometimes get superstitious and move if the team doesn't have a good first half. I usually have the section to myself!
  • DrMike
    Riverside beat UCSB last night so we are in a three team logjam (gauchos and Hawai’i) of 4-loss teams, right behind Fullerton with 3. We play Fullerton twice, Hawaii at home, so moving up into the top 3 is in our hands
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Talk about a team that is really going through a rough patch. UCSB has not played too many solid games lately, which is so odd considering how awesome they looked when they visited Davis.

I'm sadly going to miss the game Saturday against Beach, but I'll be checking the score whenever possible. Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    I’ll be there Saturday. They have an EVO event pregame that I’m participating in, then ready to watch another win. Bought my ESPN tickets also. I’m hoping that will be worth the late long ride home!
  • 69aggie
    One of the big problems with bringing a lot of transfers from big schools like UCSB has done is that you get issues with egos with these new “stars”. “Wait a minute coach, you told me I was going to . . . “ etc. they are not part of the normal collegiate process of growing up where they are asked to play ball. Sometimes you get a great player or 2 but to bring in more than that is downright not a good idea. Imagine how Heidegger feels when he’s taken out for some new guy with no history at UCSB. I would. Not endorse this recruiting model and I don’t think that Les has done so. We have 2, but thats it and enough.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!