• BaseballAtDobbins
    Saw your post on the UCD facebook page and I thought it looked familiar. Nice photo. Go Ags.
  • Riveraggie
    What’s Brandon Jamison’s status? Injured? He did not participate in the Cal game according to stats.
  • Toke69
    I watched the game on the Pac-12 network. Looked like the Cal O-line and rush game just wore out the Aggie D. Still, O thought the Ags showed that they were there to play. One of Cal's linebackers after the game said that Davis gave the Bears all they could handle. Time will tell if Cal is a high caliber (no pun intended) team or not. For what it's worth, this was the 10th time the Ags have played Cal and Cal has won all of the games. This was tied for closest game with 14 point losses in 1932 and 1937. Much better than the only game in the past 80 years way back in 2010. I'm sure many of you remember that score.
  • BlueGoldAg
    DB Jordan Perryman went down. Any insight on his injury? Did he return to the game?
  • smarterray

Our group made sure to mildly irritate everyone around us with just facts:

"I can't believe you guys are paying us $400,000 for this!"

"You're tied with a team that plays in a very nice high school stadium!"

(to a guy wearing Oregon hat) "Oregon's program was built by a UC Davis alum!"

(Darude's "Sandstorm" being played for the millionth time, on 3rd down) "I'm glad you guys are trying to keep the fan experience relevant by playing music that was popular when I was in college, 15 years ago!"

(after another bad pass / mistimed route by Cal) "Come on, Cal! COMMUNICATE! Isn't that your major?!"

"That interception was by a guy who grew up in Richmond, California, and was admitted to UC Davis under the same admission standards as any other UC applicant, unlike your team's players, who are granted admission under lowered standards!"

"Have fun next week against Washington."
  • AggieFinn
    My big question going into this season was how the defense would look. Obviously, we play a lot of guys, so it's a team effort, but am impressed with King and Nas as playmakers. I think things look strong if we can stay focused and not get ahead of ourselves. A lot of experience at QB and high energy. Can Plough create enough wrinkles to keep defenses guessing? We've had this offense out there on tape now for a few years, Cal blew up our slip/quick screen game...when we miss those quick hitters, it gets us off our offensive rhythm...and we don't have Doss on 3rd down anymore.
  • AggieFinn

Those were precious...and true.
  • DrMike
    Little concerned about the inside backer play; they ran there over and over, and we never seemed to make contact early in the hole. I think that exposed our safeties to some long passes (cheating on the run). Thought DBs were solid; second TD was a flukey tip that should have been incomplete.

Ran the ball well. Jake missed a couple open guys on long passes, but that’s gonna take time. OL gave him pretty good time against a good DL.

After some first quarter jitters, special teams were solid. Nice to see 2-2 on FG.
  • DrMike
    An aside: I grew up in Antioch, went to Davis and now live in Livermore- three of the hottest spots in the extended Bay Area. So, how did 78 degrees feel so damned hot!

Give it up for the D who battled to the end despite being on the field a lot in the 2nd half
  • movielover
    Coach Wilcox post game. Compliments our "Mush Rush" early in the interview, at the end compliments our offensive looks.

End of the 4th I would have loved to see the very mobile Hunter Rodriques in at QB. Completely different options.

Many Bear fans questioning going so long with Brown, lack of reps for 2s, unneeded injury risk.

https://youtu.be/0BKtrYxyjM8
  • agalum
    End of the 4th I would have loved to see the very mobile Hunter Rodriques in at QB. Completely different options.

I said the same to Finn during the game. I would like to have seen a mobile QB go in during the 3rd. Even just a few snaps.
  • Riveraggie
    I’m wondering why Anesi would move to the “rush” linebacker, with Bland being ineligible it leaves us thinner at inside linebacker. It seems we have a lot of inexperience and not much size at inside linebacker.
    I suspect Brandon Jamison status fits into this question; he was a “rush” linebacker last fall. This year he is listed as a defensive end but not on the depth chart. With all of our linebacker injury and eligibility problems we moved one linebacker to tight end, and another to defensive line.
  • movielover
    So I'm not crazy. If JM is an "A" QB, but only has 5 options; and Hunter is a "B+" QB, but has 8 options (add the run, RPO, keeper and XYZ), you've just increased your options by 60%! Whole different juju.

It would take the Bears a whole series to adjust. Then, keep him in, or rotate back?

Not bad to also start preparing for life post JM. We may not know our true potential until game 4.

River - RFrosh linebackers Eaton (6 tackles) and Davon Frazer studded out, and 2 JC LB transfers saw time. They likely have a quicker learning curve.

I hope Suani is OK, he was helped off the field in the 2nd half.
  • NCagalum
    I think Perryman went back in. No. 18 right? I saw 18 back in later in the game.

My bad. Perryman is no. 23.
  • Riveraggie
    On the radio they seemed to think that guys just had cramps. For what it’s worth.
  • SochorField
    Love this. Great guy.
  • agalum

That’s exactly what it looked like from the endzone seating. Finn speculated it was a lot hotter on the field then it appeared.
  • SochorField
    Finally getting around to posting.......
    Cal offense is TERRIBLE.
    Cal defense is big/fast and all around excellent. Aggie WRs had tough time creating separation. Our D-Line got tired in the 3Q - Aggie offense couldn't stay on the field. I guess this is to be expected when we are smaller all-around (?).
    Sorry if I'm repeating the general sentiment on the board at this point (drinking bourbon on Sunday-not-Sunday night).

Our Offense did what it wanted in the 1Q, and after watching our defense more than keep up with a Pac-12 offense, I am super confident this team is going to blow through the Big Sky.

Another good day to be an Aggie.
  • agalum

Glad to see you back Sochorfield, miss you buddy!
  • SochorField
    The other thing I noticed: Doss pulls down at least 3 of those jump balls, maybe equalling a TD and/or a field goal. Quite a loss graduating #3 - special player.
  • SochorField
    Thank you. Likewise!
  • movielover
    Good points. We have probably our biggest and best overall OLine ever? 7 guys 290# or bigger, 5 at 300#s, and a 6'9" sub.

Harrell same size as Doss, and faster. Ran track as a freshman for us, played in HS with the Bear DBs, faster than them. The Bear LBs big trouble. Deng (6'6" LB) had 12 tackles (9 solo), Weaver 11 tackles. Post game presser, Weaver pissed and focused, repeatedly said their effort was unacceptable; Garbers laughing and non serious.

[Edit] In a new thread I titled 'Young Defensive Players Emerge', I posted 8 RFrosh & Sophs who played major roles Saturday, including RF Eaton (LB) and Venable (6'2" DB).
  • movielover
    About a 4 minute Bear highlight video.

https://youtu.be/9Sv3Lq5z44o

How is it that we still don't have football highlight videos? I thought our video guy won some award?

Wouldn't highlight videos help in recruiting? And fan support?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Gilliam's one-handed catch and getting one foot down in bounds was a highlight reel catch as was Harrell's fully stretched out, diving catch on the sideline while managing to tap his toe in bounds. Both of those catches were incredibly athletic and beautiful.
  • AggieFinn

It's an utter joke we don't have official highlights movielover...MAKES NO SENSE.
  • movielover
    OK, I didn't have too many contact highs in Bezerkeley!

Does Hawkins think opponents will learn something from highlight videos? They have full game tape!

Three outstanding replays I can't rewatch, can't send to alums, can't post to fan sites, NFL scouts can't see. Can you believe I can't find the SPECTACULAR catch Doss made as a junior, stretched out horizontal, the defender holding his left arm, and Doss makes a one-armed diving grab?!!
  • quadshock
    For what it's worth Cal went on to upset UW away. Maybe Cal is better than on paper anyway
156789Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!