• AggieFinn
    Right back to North Dakota.
  • MTBAggie
    They don't seem to be too happy about their current starting QB who transferred from Sac State.
  • DrMike
    time to start playing clean football and get on a roll. next 3 are tough matchups (two tough places to travel and poly at home), but winnable games. clean it up with the penalties, get the run game going, and tackle -> win these 3, get to 5-3 and welcome Weber to town. never look ahead of things, but there's lots of season left and plenty of good players out there. no reason not to turn things around starting with the Fighting Hawks.
  • agalum

Agree with Dr. Mike. But if i could pick one area of improvement that would have a profound affect on game results, it would be those darn penalties. How many first downs and even TDs have we forked over bc the play is called back? This has got to be a priority.

Leaving for Texas tomorrow, hoping to be back for poly. And hoping i can at least tune into the streamed radio broadcast Saturday.

Go Ags
  • DrMike
    penalties have been killers. i think we had 9 for 73 on saturday (one was on the onside kick), but the yards don't tell the story. i believe 3 were for illegal formations, two which negated long passes to Preece (of course, he might have been open because he was lined up as an ineligible receiver). one was the 2nd play of the game and took away a 20-yard pass. so, instead of 1st and 10 at the 45, its 2nd and 15 at our 15. instead of them on their heels and us speeding up the pace, we're stuck back in a bad situation deep in our zone. those penalties are killers, and kind of inexcuable. i can that happening late in the game when maybe someone is playing out of their position group, but the 2nd play of the game? attention to detail. we really need to be sharp on offense. makes life easier on the defense. they were on the field a long time in the 1st half.

i've been watching Ken Burns' Country Music on PBS (GREAT!!!! even if you don't like country). the last episode was titled 'don't get above your raisin'; meaning, don't forgot where you came from, don't get too caught up in the hype. so, don't get above your raisin, Ags.
  • movielover
    I've got a few simple additions.

#1, tell your WR - acting like a prima donna while we are getting our hats handed to us - its a really poor look. Lording over a defender on the ground, waiving around 2 fingers while we're being dominated. Sounds like he is more interested in himself, or young.

Use someone besides CC on trick plays. And use a more tricky trick play, not a common trick play.

2nd and 2, why don't we send someone deep? Or go deep after a TO like Sochor. Harrell ran track his first year here. If Brock Johnson or Rodriguez have a stronger arm than Maier, there's a trick play.
  • Riveraggie
    Their defensive numbers last week look good compared to ours
  • AggieFinn

We got out-coached and were not prepared to play.
  • movielover
    I'm trying to fight some low key sadness that the playoffs are now a long shot. Especially with a senior proven QB, an optimal time for a playoff run.

Is Coach Foster still local? Can we import him for the pre-game rah rah?
  • Riveraggie
    I’m seeing a pattern, Weber in 2017, Eastern in 2018, Montana this year.
    We get pushed around in big games. If we really are up for the game we can compete, but it’s a near thing, not much margin for error.
  • AggieFinn
    I don't think the excitement for the Montana game could've been any higher. Granted we were up for NDSU the previous week, but man, get over it and prepare for the Big Sky. Just felt like we as a team got figured out and didn't have any answers - revenge is a tough force to counteract, Montana wanted it, the coaching staff and the players they came to town, got some cooler weather and completely annihilated the Aggies. The only way to respond at this point is to throw caution to the wind and light up UND - tall order on the road, after two very tough games and results. What kind of salt do the Aggies carry? How bad do they want this?
  • Riveraggie
    We thought we would be better than this but each of these games is now a near thing. If we’re on an even keel like Hawkins preaches and we’re playing a team where we’re their focus for the year it’s tough.
  • movielover
    I think its fair to say we may have been overrated, and we're still adjusting to life post-Doss and post-Moe. How many games did Doss make a great or needed catch on 3rd and long, how many catches between 2 or 3 defenders? And no show boating after awesome catches, just go back and do it again.

Hawk says they need to have fun, and we may get some guys back. I hope Tehran Thomas is OK, love that guy.
  • Riveraggie
    Doss and Moe loss is no big deal. Simple percentages show most teams lose 25% percent of their starters every year, probably more than that due to seniors playing a bigger role than other classes. Good players yes, but neither was drafted, so it’s not as if they were extraordinary even for this school.
    We’ll have a bigger issue next year with graduated players
  • movielover
    I agree everyone faces these issues. Respectfully, Doss on a deep roster now, likely not drafted due to pectoral tear, and Moe had 9-10 sacks for us? I know its not so simple, not a single factor, but same coaches, and our sack game is minimal.

You're right, we'll lose 8 lineman (5 on Defense), Nas, Flowers, Preece & Maier.
  • agalum
    Is Coach Foster still local?

No, he lives in OR, bend I think. I actually ran into him last year in OR
  • AggieFinn
    Feels like we're going into this game without any idea of what both of these teams are capable of yet this season.
  • SochorField
    Doss and Moe loss is no big deal.Riveraggie

I beg to differ. Doss was good for AT LEAST two victories last season.
    The loss of this dynamic playmaker is painfully apparent this season.
  • Riveraggie
    if your offense suffers in year three of a rebuilding process because you lose one wide receiver, and return almost all other receivers, that’s sad.
  • movielover
    I agree we have to reload, can't dwell on the past ... but losing 2 dominant players would be tough for most teams to adjust to. Or to put it another way, add one more dominant player on special teams, defense, or offense... and we're probably in the national championship game.
  • Riveraggie
    We have a number of wide receivers who are three and two star recruits, higher regarded out of high school than Doss. How did Doss develop his skills? Did he figure it out on his own? We don’t have a coach who’s played receiver. And on the subject of player development, how is it that Doss increased some of his performance metrics like his 40 yard time after he got through playing for us?
    We have to grow our own players. Take offensive linemen for example. Other teams routinely bring in players who are 6’5” - 6’7” and they bulk up. We’ve had one player who matched that description, added significant weight and that’s Colton Lamson who came in at 235lb and added 50lbs. We’ve had offensive linemen who’ve been highly regarded spend years here and never get big enough to earn playing time, sitting at 260 lbs.
  • DrMike
    looks like there is a new location for the football watch parties. Parkside Bar and Lounge will host this saturday's game and all future 'official' watch parties.

watch party
  • movielover
    The old Little Prague / Blondie's location? Can't recall if I ever made it to LP. Great news.

Doesn't Woodstocks also show the game?
  • DrMike
    It is blondies. I think Woodstock shows games but this is the program’s official location
  • AggieFinn
    See y'all at Little Prague
  • Bige70
    This week will be very telling. I think after Cal and NDSU, the guys may have gotten a bit big for their britches, drank the "rat poison" as Nick Saban says. Also, we've gotten spoiled pretty quickly with Hawkins and Co. Let's not forget where the program was just 3 years ago - I believe in Hawkins and the players. UND will be difficult, no doubt, but I bet we pull out a close win on the road. Gut check time.
  • DrMike
    Really need the run game to step up. Their pass defense has been very good and are racking up the sacks (might be skewed by Drake game and EWU blizzard). If we’re one dimensional, we might struggle to score. Defense? Pressure on the QB. He’s had some problems with turnovers in the past, let’s add to those tomorrow
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!