• 69aggie
    With Dixie State moving to D1 are they a lock into the BSC. They have a full athletic program. Could be a good member.
    Also, when does UCSD begin play in the BW?
  • 72Aggie
    UCSD "joins" for scheduling purposes July 1, 2020. They have to make the transition from D-2 to D-1 and won't be a full-on member until July 1, 2024.

CSU-Bakersfield joins as a full member July 1, 2020.

https://bigwest.org/news/2017/11/27/IMPORTED_STORY_20127_20127.aspx

This doesn't seem to resolve scheduling issues as there will still be an odd number of teams.

Dixie State would get the Big Sky back to an even number of teams which is nice for scheduling, and is a better geographical fit than was UND, but 12 teams is kind of unwieldy for BCS football.

(And we have wandered astray from the focus of the lead to this topic.)
  • BlueGoldAg
    Chancellor May on the killing of George Floyd:

May 28, 2020
    Posted by Gary S. May

To the UC Davis Community:

“I can’t breathe.” These were the last words uttered by Eric Garner as he was being murdered on Staten Island in 2014.

“I can’t breathe.” These were among the last words spoken by George Floyd as he suffered the same fate under hauntingly similar circumstances in Minneapolis on Monday evening.

In 2014, I tried to explain the Garner incident to my daughters. Yesterday, I tried to explain the Floyd incident to myself. In both cases, I fell short. Murder captured on video defies explanation.

Needless to say, these tragedies hit my family and me hard. I know it’s touched a deep nerve with many of you as well. You have reached out to express your support, concern, sadness and anger, and I appreciate it. To be honest, it’s been difficult for me to know how to address this because it is so personal.

I lived in Georgia for nearly 30 years, where Ahmaud Arbery was hunted and killed. George Floyd could have been any African American man, including me. Beyond the constant barrage of fear of the negative consequences of birding while black, shopping while black, cooking out while black, exercising while black — it is just exhausting. And I’m tired.

I can’t claim to speak for all African Americans or all people of color. And to ask me or others like me to do so is a burden others don’t have to carry. So I have thought a lot about how America got here, so long ago, and why we haven’t made as much progress as we often claim.

The events of this week also cause me to believe even more strongly, if that’s possible, in building an inclusive environment that recognizes and respects people of all backgrounds and experiences. I remain committed to that and hope you will do what you can to eliminate racism, sexism, and other negative influences on our progression as a nation.

Perhaps higher education can be that positive influence on lives beyond an education. Perhaps here we can create a way forward. Perhaps here we can breathe.

Sincerely,

Gary S. May
    Chancellor

https://leadership.ucdavis.edu/news/messages/chancellor-messages/statement-on-george-floyd
  • BlueGoldAg
    Kevin Blue's statement regarding the death of George Floyd:

Dear UC Davis Athletics Community,

Over the weekend, I spent some time thinking about George Floyd's horrific death and other recent events that continue to highlight racial inequality in our society.

I will never be able to understand what it is like to experience discrimination because of the color of my skin, but I've tried to be part of the solution working against it. However, over the weekend, I came to the realization that I haven't done enough.

UC Davis Athletics has a history of building "trust, unity, and togetherness" among people from all backgrounds. As an organization, we have tried to acknowledge that racism exists in sports and be an athletics department that works against it. However, over the weekend, I came to the realization that we haven't done enough.

The recent atrocities impacting the African American community are reprehensible. UC Davis Athletics rejects them in the strongest possible terms. We recognize the tremendous emotional and psychological impact that these discriminatory tragedies have created for our African American student-athletes, coaches, and staff. My privilege means that I don't experience this in the same way that you do, but I stand with you in support.

Condemning racism and supporting those who are suffering is important, but real progress will not be made until we pass the test that follows. What will we do next, after the protests stop? Will we take action to create real progress and permanent change? Or will we go back to business as usual? Real change won't occur until we leave the sidelines to get in the game, and put forth the work, struggle, and effort to create a more just and equitable world.

This weekend, I came to the realization that more must be done. I must do more personally. Believing in equality and denouncing racism is not sufficient without taking more action to help make change.

UC Davis Athletics must do more organizationally. We must reflect on our organizational dynamics related to race and inequality with even more scrutiny. We must reject the false notion of "colorblindness" that sometimes characterizes discussions about race in sports and get better at acknowledging the different experiences that people have because of race. And we must double down on meaningful actions that will help create a more equitable college sports world.

I regret that it has taken a series of tragic racist events and nationwide protests to catalyze more energy towards solving a problem that we know has existed for a long time. But the best we can do now is listen to our community, intensify our focus on meaningful action, and move forward together. That is what we're going to do.

-Kevin

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2020/6/1/general-letter-to-uc-davis-community.aspx
  • 69aggie
    BSC might consider splitting into north-south divisions ala Pac12 for football.
    EWU, UI, ISU, MU, MSU and NC: North
    WSU, DSU, NAU, Poly, UCD and Sac: South
    Keeps all the rivalry games intact and could make travel cost drop significantly.
  • 72Aggie

PSU? North?
    SUU? South?

Couple of small kinks to iron out. Post season bids? What does the conference do for basketball when UCD and Poly aren't around? The 14 teams in the Big 10 have scheduling problems. Up until recently a team played the 6 teams in their division and two in the opposite division. To keep a rivalry alive Indiana and Purdue play each year though they are in opposite divisions. When you played two teams in the opposite division you might be a team in the West and play Ohio State and Michigan, while another team in the West plays Indiana and Rugers. Now you might get Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State while someone else gets Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Greg Popovich speaks out...

• BlueGoldAg
    Kevin Blue outlines actions that UCD Athletics is taking to increase awareness about and combat systemic racism

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2020/6/11/general-update-from-director-of-athletics-kevin-blue.aspx
  • 69aggie
    Can ICA sports go forward in thee Fall? It will depend on whether the virus statistics are OK per health officials AND (I believe) whether the players will sign liability waivers that hold the universities and conferences harmless should a player catch the virus. This is a requirement for attendance at the Trump Tulsa rally on Sat. Might be a precedent the president will regret making.
    If your kid was a player would you let him/her sign such a waiver? I believe UC kids have to have health insurance. Don’t think CSU kids do. Unbelievable where this is taking us!
  • fugawe09
    Well, 69, I don't know if a coronavirus waiver of liability would be enforceable. And if an athlete declined, could it impact scholarships or other things? I'm sure we will see these questions tested in courts in the coming months and years. As far as racial justice, I am glad that the department is approaching this with a listen and discuss model to hopefully make needed changes and avoid kneejerk blunders. Presuming a semi-normal football season, I would guess there will be new scrutiny on fan behavior related to chants or taunting that could be seen as racial. Could also be a crackdown on trash talk on the field. Nationally, I predict there will be at least a few refs that land in hot water for inequitable enforcement or overlooking of rules and probably calls for greater diversity in the ref pool. I think it is a given that there will be people making statements of solidarity during the national anthem. Probably would be met with support in Davis, but maybe not so much at Montana or Southern Utah. Or do schools follow MLS and omit the national anthem to avoid the opportunity? There is always the possibility that a game with fans could be disrupted by a demonstration. Every stadium should have a plan on how to address this. Any plan that relies on riot shields and tear gas as a first choice would be a televised disaster. Including police as honorees in the annual military appreciation game would also likely be a tone deaf proposition that would encourage problems. And given the challenged history of the UCD PD, I would hope the University carefully considers the number of officers and type of equipment needed. Not sure that having an abundance of officers with German shepherds and automatic weapons will be welcomed by fans or athletes.
  • 69aggie
    Right on the money fug.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!