• agalum
    Suc, 382. And our vet school is #1 in the world!
  • zythe
    Does anyone know why we don’t move up in the US News one?
  • fugawe09
    I think we are high enough in the rankings that a big name would have to be unseated for us to move up and I think the methodologies pretty well ensure no major upsets because they rely so heavily on past reputation and money. I don't really think these rankings should mean all that much because so many of the things that make Davis great - unique college town, quirky coffee house, bicycle culture, etc. are not measured. But there are also ways in which Davis fails that are not measured. Setting aside administrative mismanagement of things like the student affairs office, all the money and prestige don't necessarily mean better undergraduate instruction. For example, I have it on good authority that if you are actually trying to learn the Chem 2 material, Sac City College instructors do a much better job. At Davis, you might get a renowned professor on paper, but he's too good to come to a lower division class and has his TAs teach, most of whom speak almost no English.

WSJ Methodology
    • Resources/funding - 30%
    • Engagement/student survey - 20%
    • Outcomes (graduation rate, salary, debt) - 30%
    • Academic reputation - 10%
    • Diversity - 10%

US News Methodology
    • Resources/funding - 30%
    • Outcomes (graduation rate, social mobility, debt) - 40%
    • Academic Reputation - 20%
    • Selectivity - 7%
    • Alumni giving - 3%
  • 69aggie
    Goes to show if you pick the right methodology you can pretty much pick the outcome.
  • movielover
    So how did UCSD, UCI, and UCSB jump ahead of us. SoCal money?

Any specifics on Student Affairs? They used to be run by 1 or 2 individuals... now at least 6 to 8 individuals with fancy titles. Many weren't happy w the Cal Aggie Banduh travesty.
  • 69aggie
    Not on the WSJ. We are good there!
  • fugawe09
    I really don't know why the divergence in some rankings lately. 15 years ago Davis, UCI, UCSB, UCSD were all neck and neck. I would think money is comparable among the four, so maybe it is because we are less selective due to fewer applicants than the others.

IMO, Student Affairs has a long history of disrespect, treating students as though they are there to serve the staff's needs rather than the staff existing to serve the students' needs. The Band bit was personal for me, but I don't think it's right that they profit off textbook sales, pick and choose who's free speech they censor, and threaten expulsion for sneaking a beer into the dorm. Interesting that Athletics started operating more smoothly when it was pulled from SA to report directly to the chancellor. VC Galindo was especially incompetent, but looks like she is retiring and a new Vice Chancellor started last week. I will try to give him a chance, but he needs to clean house at the director level.
  • movielover
    New SA VC?

Expulsion for beer? I recall the topic well. Some dormmates actually went to the on campus legal advisor to access their / our rights... re kegs, and M100 and one M200 (explosives) set off outside. ... one of the interesting policies was that keg parties weren't allowed... unless they were "spontaneous". Legal rights re dorm rooms, etc. We had a couple of dorm residents over 21...

I recall frat parties w well over 50 kegs.
  • fugawe09
    Yeah, Pablo Reguerin taking over SA - https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/uc-davis-chancellor-gary-s-may-selects-dr-pablo-reguerin-vice-chancellor-student-affairs . I guess he was announced in May and just took over recently. Comes from UC Santa Cruz and recently earned an EdD at UC Davis. Don't know much about him.

And I'm not saying SA should wink and nod to 50 kegs and some explosives being hauled up to Bixby 5, but calling the police over a 6 pack of Bud Light and a couple special brownies is an overreaction.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!